Christmas Survival Tips....food wise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hazelbaby
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2011-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Mon 19 Dec 2011, 6:11 am

Hi all,

Love the donating idea. I'm a kindy teacher and I usually get swamped with chocies, hampers and other 'goodies'. I regift some but making up a hamper and donating it to someone who needs it really appeals.

I struggle with the alcohol part of Chrissy. My mum likes to have 'fluffy ducks' for breakfast!!!!! And everywhere you go there is drinks on offer. Not that I'm an alcy, but the empty calories in wine go down sooo easily. Alternating wine with water is my plan this year especially as water goes down so slowly :)
Back to top Go down
z1gg1e79
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Mon 19 Dec 2011, 3:52 am

aswan wrote:
I always buy enough goodies to feed a small garrison town! Best tip I was given is to gather up all the unopened choccies, nuts, mince pies etc., and take them to the Salvation Army who will distribute them to those in need, or give them to the local care home for the elderly. I have done this the last couple of years and, believe me, there are so many people out there who truly appreciate this. It also stops me being a glutton.

What a wonderful idea :-)
Back to top Go down
aswan
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 10:28 pm

I always buy enough goodies to feed a small garrison town! Best tip I was given is to gather up all the unopened choccies, nuts, mince pies etc., and take them to the Salvation Army who will distribute them to those in need, or give them to the local care home for the elderly. I have done this the last couple of years and, believe me, there are so many people out there who truly appreciate this. It also stops me being a glutton.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 10:06 pm

I intend to relax too.

However, for MY family, the weeks leading up to Christmas are the killers as far as food goes! Helena (the younger twin) and I LOVE mince pies. I think I have eaten about 6 over the last two weeks (The best ones are from Coles, at $1.49 for six) Helena has eaten a dozen!

There are 'low fat' versions of mince pies, but they are not as nice in my opinion!.

Traditionally, I put bowls of Choccies and lollies and nuts on my table in the weeks leading up to Chrissy...I think I will LIMIT that?

I am just trying for 'moderation' at this point. We are having lobster Christmas day, which I am looking forward to. But food is not the focus for me this year. Which is kind of weird! I love Christmas food!

Might try the low fat dip suggestions. But I hate salsa! Might opt for hummus instead.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1701
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 7:41 pm

An idea I had and used this year was instead of dips and chips, cabanosi (ew processed festy hog anus or what ever it is), I did a platter of these items:

- celery

- carrots

- rice crackers

- pretzels

- raw cashews

- salsa

So even though people (including me) could have a few bits, I didnt think it was terrible in the calorie/ fat stakes.
Back to top Go down
skinnygreyhound
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:18 pm

IM going to do both! enjoy and be careful...on days that I exercise I am going to be relaxed and eat a slice of panacotta (300 calls...) on days that I don't or don't do a lot I am going to be more careful....last night I had a slice of pavlova for dinner....
But I had done a fast 8km run - today is a rest day and I a going to have a boring day :)
I have to get something that works I cannot imagine that I will have another 30 christmasses 'on a diet'
good thread though Id love to pick up some helpful tips...like the ice cube in wine idea as i don't drink really and that would be a good way to eek out the glass!
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 4:46 pm

For me I am on morphine (that just burns stuff off quick) and I am weighing 48kg at the minute so I am going for it; so I will eat whatever.

BUT if I was the other way I would prob still have a wine as I sit on half a glass all night (just keep putting in a ice cube)
I would have prawns, or any of the meats, a little salad or veg depending what was on offer but no like potatoes and skip dessert. WELL not skip it but have more fruit, one thing I have noticed I can eat decent amount of is watermelon which is fab cos I love it. I would stay away from things like dips but I would have some cheese. If I was able to exercise I would throw in some extra walks or whatever you do, or maybe increase the intencity.

Christmas is a big food and family crazy time lol, it is so hard to get away from it.
Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 3:58 pm

hmm i had 3prawns for dinner tonight, so made up my mind i will be having prawns for lunch xmas day, and my aunts great tirumasu (spelling) for desert mmm, i think the lead up to xmas day ill cut the grog out, and just bought a tready today so will up the exercise
Back to top Go down
z1gg1e79
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 1:53 pm

This is a great idea for a thread! Well done. Christmas is a hard time of year :-)
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 12:21 pm

Just go for it and enjoy it.

You've worked so hard... If there's ever going to be a day to relax, Xmas day is it.

Just remember... One say is not going to undo all of your hard work.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1701
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Christmas Survival Tips....food wise   Sun 18 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

Hey guys

Well im certainly alot further out this Christmas than last year. Im a bit nervous as at get togethers Ive noticed myself having a pick here and there. I know its Christmas, but i dont want to relax with weight loss yet- such a long way to go.

So, whats your best tips for not gaining weight over Christmas? Admittedly, the days of the 3 course Christmas lunch followed by the left overs for dinner are long gone, but I just want to make sure I get it right. I know all about choices and things, so i guess just looking for general advice. Or, do you just go for it and enjoy it?
Back to top Go down

Christmas Survival Tips....food wise
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: