anyone having vit B12 injections?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
coastgirl42

Female
Number of posts: 33
Registration date: 2009-05-03

PostSubject: B12   Sun 24 Apr 2011, 2:44 pm

wow i have been getting B12 shots week;ly for the past 3 months and only just getting better

been sleeved for 2 years no weight loss only gain... got a date for a bypass in july

And yes you can beat the sleeve lets hope i do better with the bypass
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 1175
Registration date: 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 6:02 pm

There was a recent post about this if you want to search, but a couple of clarifications. It's not so much that you don't eat enough B12 anymore as that you have less intrinsic factor which allows you to absorb B12 - it's found in the stomach walls. You can definitely try sublingual dissolving B12, there are many brands and you can get it at a health food store or pharmacy. BUT if you're not deficient, it is pointless to take extra either orally or injectable. You can try an oral supplement or get iron studies done if you're concerned.

Are you taking a multivitamin regularly? That has b vitamins in it and I find makes a huge difference to my energy levels.
Back to top Go down
girltuesday

Female
Number of posts: 75
Registration date: 2010-11-01

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:22 pm

My blood results showed my B12 only just in the normal range. My surgeon (who I saw before I got the bloods done) said to have an injection just to be on the safe side because I was feeling so tired. Opted for the jab as the surgeon said it gives the best absorption. GP said I'll need to have a jab every 3 months. Since having the B12 I've lost the 'ragged' feeling I had. I have also had low blood pressure and am being weened off the BP meds so that may have been contributing to the tiredness as well. I'm interested to see if I get that 'ragged' feeling again just before the next jab is due. Sounds like you need to switch to a GP who takes an active interest in your health needs...
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1749
Registration date: 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:13 pm

No worries!! Anytime luvvy. But I think you are doing yourself a huge favour finding another doc.
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 431
Registration date: 2010-09-29

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 5:09 pm

totally agree D'Girlz!!! just need to find one with an opening!! this one has a month waiting list to see him - he's a teaching practice so you may be able to see a trainee gp with weeks notice! The wait is also amazing - my last few visits have been waits of 45min - an hour for a 5 min consult! gee I hate having a whinge but yesterday I was there fore almost 3 hours to have a care plan done to cover my lovely dietician visits! I really get the shivers everytime I walk in - think I'll start having a look around tomorrow! I'm even scaring myself here!
Sorry for the blast!!
:) Pippa
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1749
Registration date: 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:57 pm

Pip, Sounds like you need a new GP. There is no excuse for incompetence. If you cannot address your issues with him in person, then do so with your business. Just remember, you are PAYING him for a service - even if it is Medicare. He is not a good GP if he does not listen to his patients.
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 699
Registration date: 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:52 pm

I was prescribed the B12 by my GP (after I asked her to check my levels), but my sister is a pharmacist and she told me that it's actually an over the counter medication, so no need for a script (that's in Perth), but I always just hand over my script anyway.
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:44 pm

Thanks Girltuesday and Tamara

my bloods were done in early feb and showed ok b12 - but it's now april and I'm feeling pretty tired (my boys say i'm alsways cranky :( - only cos they don't pick up their clothes!) told this to my gp and he pointed to the feb results!!! I despair at time with that man!

Do you get them prescribed by you gp or surgeon?

I am thinking of trying the under tongue tabs - just to see if there's a difference!

Thanks again for your help

:) Pippa
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 699
Registration date: 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 4:26 pm

Im on 3 monthly B12 injections, and probably will be for the rest of my life.
B12 isn't stored in the body, and can only be absorbed, hence why some people with the sleeve who don't eat a vitamin B12 rich diet will need to have injections.

Last edited by Tamara on Tue 12 Apr 2011, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
girltuesday

Female
Number of posts: 75
Registration date: 2010-11-01

PostSubject: Re: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 3:42 pm

Hi Pippa,
I had a gastric bypass and recently had my first B12 jab. I'm not sure about needing them with the sleeve but I do know that the small stomach size means it is much harder to absorb B12. My surgeon suggests you play it by ear with the B12 ie if you are feeling tired, cranky and forgetful you might need a jab. So if you are feeling fine then you don't need it. If you are feeling unusually tired, however, I would look into it.
Back to top Go down
pippa
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: anyone having vit B12 injections?   Tue 12 Apr 2011, 10:50 am

Hi I was wondering if anyone has been getting vit B12 jabs since surgery? I was told at my 3 month post op that we are unable to metabolise B12 and will need jabs further down the track. I also noticed a B12 under tongue supplement advertised on tv recently - checked the website and found it a kind of pyramid selling scheme, one cautionary site said these supplements weren't necessary for most people. My gp yesterday said to ask at the health food shop for supplements if I was worried - I think these would be swallowed and so defeat the purpose! (grrrrr... my gp does not listen, pooh!). So any advice gratefully accepted by intellectually challenged (my gp respnse to any questions makes me feel this way!) sleever.
xoxox
Pippa
Back to top Go down

anyone having vit B12 injections?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  ::  :: -