AuthorMessage
taueret
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-02-28

PostSubject: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 8:30 am

First topic message reminder :

hi, I am happy to find a forum specifically for sleevers, and so many Aussies here too :-).

I am F, 43, 110kg with a BMI of 41 :-(. Married with 3 kids 18, 8 and 4.

I have lost and regained the same 30 kilos several times over the last 10 years (since quitting smoking!). I am probably about 50kg over my technical "correct weight", but I have never been lower than 75 kg in my adult life so can't imagine being that slim.

Had my initial appointment today with surgeon Dr Ken Wong in Gosford. I went in interested in a lap band, but he did a pretty good job of persuading me that the sleeve was the way to go. It scares me because it's a more major op, but he says you take all/most of the risks up-front with a sleeve, rather than problems developing over years like he says happens with bands. Basically if I am willing to put my trust in him as a surgeon, I figure I may as well listen to his opinions about which surgery is most suitable.

I'm ready to sign and go, unfortunately I need to have some investigations of my oesophagus done first as I mentioned that I sometimes have issues with food "going down"- I suspect I have a hiatus hernia, hopefully whatever is going on isn't something that will rule out bariatric surgery (my new worry!). Anyway the gastroscopy and oesophageal manometry will take place over the next couple of weeks, hopefully after that I can book in and begin the process (he said the dietician will probably want me to do 2 weeks of Optifast first, which is fine, I know I can lose weight on Optifast, just not keep it off! :-P)

So, that's me, thanks for letting me join, looking forward to learning lots here.

Taueret
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 9:24 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on your decision to be sleeved, you will love it!

Good luck with your journey.

Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: hello from spoggy in Melbourne   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 8:39 am

Hi there, I had a gastroscophy and a manometry and ph study done prior to surgery. It is important to make sure the malfunction is only minor as if it is more than that the sleeve may not be the best option. Mine was mild so I had a sleeve. Good luck with everything and yes the band is not an option worth considering from what I discovered.

Bye for now and welcome tot he forum, hope to catch you on chat or you can pm me any time.
Back to top Go down
taueret
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-02-28

PostSubject: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 8:30 am

hi, I am happy to find a forum specifically for sleevers, and so many Aussies here too :-).

I am F, 43, 110kg with a BMI of 41 :-(. Married with 3 kids 18, 8 and 4.

I have lost and regained the same 30 kilos several times over the last 10 years (since quitting smoking!). I am probably about 50kg over my technical "correct weight", but I have never been lower than 75 kg in my adult life so can't imagine being that slim.

Had my initial appointment today with surgeon Dr Ken Wong in Gosford. I went in interested in a lap band, but he did a pretty good job of persuading me that the sleeve was the way to go. It scares me because it's a more major op, but he says you take all/most of the risks up-front with a sleeve, rather than problems developing over years like he says happens with bands. Basically if I am willing to put my trust in him as a surgeon, I figure I may as well listen to his opinions about which surgery is most suitable.

I'm ready to sign and go, unfortunately I need to have some investigations of my oesophagus done first as I mentioned that I sometimes have issues with food "going down"- I suspect I have a hiatus hernia, hopefully whatever is going on isn't something that will rule out bariatric surgery (my new worry!). Anyway the gastroscopy and oesophageal manometry will take place over the next couple of weeks, hopefully after that I can book in and begin the process (he said the dietician will probably want me to do 2 weeks of Optifast first, which is fine, I know I can lose weight on Optifast, just not keep it off! :-P)

So, that's me, thanks for letting me join, looking forward to learning lots here.

Taueret
Back to top Go down

hello from Gosford NSW
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: