Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stayingstill

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-03-05

PostSubject: Band to sleeve   Sun 05 Mar 2017, 6:14 am

Hi there,

I got my band done by dr Munro 5 or so year's ago. 6 months ago i visited the nurse for all my fuild to be drained as i was over the unpredictable food tolerance (water was even getting stuck). I have maintained my weight but im still struggling to budge my weight (i am on a great food and exercise plan), unfortunately could be due to my insulin resistance. My question is has anyone been through dr Munro for the band then went back on got the sleeve? If so what do you think? Is it worth it? And what are the price roughly? Also my starting weight was 132kg now im sitting between 85 to 88kgs so i don't even know if its possible at my weight.

Thank you in advance
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Sun 12 Feb 2017, 9:00 pm

Hello, everyone's story is a little different, read the personal diaries to get a bit more insight. But hope fully the surgeon will guide you. 
My surgical practis initially gave me info on all 3 bariatric procedures to take home & read prior to seeing surgeon. I s
Had appt with surgical assistant/ nurse.
There are also lots of articles on google that you can access, the more you read the more you can start compiling a list of questions for surgeon.
Surgery also depends on any other illnesses you may have such as diabetes.
All the best and good luck in your journey
Linda
Back to top Go down
mboldt

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-02-11

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Sat 11 Feb 2017, 11:07 pm

Hi everyone :)
I am currently considering getting the sleeve done and going through Dr Munro as recommended by a friend. Could anyone give me some more insight into this procedure etc ?
Back to top Go down
tiredofbeingtired

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: .   Tue 28 May 2013, 9:40 am

Back to top Go down
DammitJanet

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Sat 18 Feb 2012, 9:05 am

nice - you have to be happy with that!!!
Back to top Go down
JoHooper

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Fri 17 Feb 2012, 9:19 pm

Having band out on 29th and he is not charging me. He will do sleeve in 3 months and half price so I am a very happy bunny.

Jo
Back to top Go down
DammitJanet

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

I have Dr Wong and he seemed very nice. I think he operates out of North Gosford Private Hospital
Back to top Go down
spirited

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-02-03

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Thu 09 Feb 2012, 5:57 am

Hi im in Newcastle but going to Gosford to see Dr Ken Wong also. He seems so lovely and knowledgable. I am confotable with him and he answered many questions I had on the phone about the procedure.
Its exciting and scary isnt it! Im hoping ill be done on March 23rd. Not sure what hospital do you know which one he prefers.
CHeers
J
Back to top Go down
Healthymum

Female
Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:57 pm

Hi Taueret, welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
JoHooper

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:42 pm

Thanks for that. I am hoping he might give me the removal for free. I am having a real tough time at the moment, yesterday I couldnt keep even water down and my band is empty so thats it after 4.5 years Its gotta go, big decision for me too. I am scared about weight gain but have got to the stage where my health has to come first.

Jo
Back to top Go down
DammitJanet

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:30 am

Hi Jo,

I was Sleeved by Dr Munro 4 weeks ago and the out of pocket costs were:

$3800 for Dr Munro - includes all follow up visits and 12 months worth of visits to his dietician

$800 for the anaethestist (but I am yet to claim medicare and PHI on that)

$240 for pre op bloods and ECG (also yet to claim medicare)

FYI - I have had no issues with my sleeve so far, am very happy with Dr Munro's work
Back to top Go down
JoHooper

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:53 am

Can anyone please tell me the cost of this surgery, I was banded with Dr Munro and am going to his rooms on monday to look at removal and sleeve, also my hubby is looking to do this too. We are insured so just out of pocket expensises if you wouldnt mind.

Jo
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Sat 12 Mar 2011, 2:12 am

I was there on Thursday for my check up, very pleased with how things are going.

Can't wait for a meet up.
Back to top Go down
taueret
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2011-02-28

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Fri 11 Mar 2011, 11:52 pm

Funny I was in Caska's rooms yesterday :-). I do indeed look fwd to a meetup!

pominoz wrote:
Hiya,

Another Coastie here but with Dr Caska in Woy Woy. I got approval from APRA this week and am booked in to be sleeved on the 5th April..not long to go!

Hopefully we will have enough Coasties soon for a meet up ! :-)

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
taueret
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: update...   Fri 11 Mar 2011, 11:51 pm

Well I had the oesophageal manometry and ph thing yesterday. In fact I just found a bit of tape on my ear that I forgot to remove when I pulled the pH sensor out this morning! The manometry was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life, I am so glad I will be out cold for the gastroscopy on Monday.

Anyway the man who did the procedure said I have a moderately severe haitus hiatus hernia, which fits perfectly (he said) with my symptoms. He said it's not a HUGE hernia, but I have a small chest cavity and therefore it's serious and causing bad symptoms. I asked him if he thought it would rule out banding, and he said that (obviously not trying to speak for the surgeon) it was the kind of thing they normally repair during sleeving. He also said that there were surgeons who just sleeved without investigating hernias etc first and those patients had LOTS of problems, so I was lucky Dr Wong is so thorough. So, on to Monday's gastroscopy. Dr Wong will be doing it so I guess he will be able to make a call on whether or not I can have the sleeve after that. Crossed fingers.

Last edited by taueret on Fri 11 Mar 2011, 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pominoz

Female
Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2010-12-21

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Fri 11 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm

Hiya,

Another Coastie here but with Dr Caska in Woy Woy. I got approval from APRA this week and am booked in to be sleeved on the 5th April..not long to go!

Hopefully we will have enough Coasties soon for a meet up ! :-)

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: hello from spoggy in Melbourne   Wed 02 Mar 2011, 8:26 am

It will turn out. Waiting is the hardest thing to endure.
Back to top Go down
taueret
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Tue 01 Mar 2011, 7:23 am

ugh- I hope that doesn't mean that whatever my problem is isn't mild. Don't you love playing doctors on the internet? :-) Either way I guess I need to get it investigated, really. It only effects me maybe 1 time in 100 that I eat something, I wish in a way that I hadn't mentioned it now-not really I guess but you know.

spoggy wrote:
Hi there, tuna and rice would be hard to get all the way down with me too, but no chucking. I did not take any notice of that but the barium swallow showed up the function slightly impaired. But the manometry and ph study showed that it was mild, so the sleeve was suitable for me.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm

Oh well, obviously I just missed this guy then - of course the GP didn't even know about the sleeve until I told her anyway, and I'd done my research - your doc didn't come up in it at that time.
Anyhow, as long as you're happy, that's great. Sounds like he's got a good rep and 3 years experience with the sleeve, so all should be good.
Nice to have a local doc too!
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: hello from spoggy in Melbourne   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 8:05 pm

Hi there, tuna and rice would be hard to get all the way down with me too, but no chucking. I did not take any notice of that but the barium swallow showed up the function slightly impaired. But the manometry and ph study showed that it was mild, so the sleeve was suitable for me.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
taueret
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 7:58 pm

@spoggy may I ask what your symptoms were that made you need the osophageal investigations? Mine are that sometimes I have a problem- not swallowing as such, but with food continuing its journey down my oesophagus- it feels like it's piling up in there and once in a while I have to "bleh" it out again. usually it goes down, eventually. It's quite painful (especially if I am someplace where going "bleh" isnt an option!). It's not al the time and it seems to be mainly with foods like rice or tuna (not sure what those have in common).

spoggy wrote:
Hi there, I had a gastroscophy and a manometry and ph study done prior to surgery. It is important to make sure the malfunction is only minor as if it is more than that the sleeve may not be the best option. Mine was mild so I had a sleeve. Good luck with everything and yes the band is not an option worth considering from what I discovered.

Bye for now and welcome tot he forum, hope to catch you on chat or you can pm me any time.
Back to top Go down
taueret
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 7:50 pm

thanks everyone for the welcome.

@chrisbychic- he's been doing the sleeve for 3 years. My RN friends who have nursed his general surgical patients say he is very well thought of (they work in public system, his bariatric pt are obviously in private). my GP likewise said he is "very good at what he does" as well as being a nice bloke (I do like him). I came to her for a referral to him, she didn't suggest him, or surgery at all. My feeling about him is positive- we'll see. He is doing my gastroscopy on the 14th so I'll see him in action then.

I have to say that I think the benefits of having a local surgeon may outweigh the benefits of having a surgeon who does exclusively bariatric work, in case of issues in the weeks post-op, especially with the sleeve.

Gotta admit I am very nervous, this is much more radical surgery than I was psyched for. *breathe*.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 4:42 pm

It's not fair - all these Coasties joining after I move to Melbourne! LOL
Well, welcome to the forum and good luck with the tests - if it's just a hiatus hernia, they can be fixed at the same time as the sleeve - I had that done, as well as lots of others on the forum.
Haven't heard of that doc - went to Sydney when I had mine done, as no-one near the coast did the sleeve. Check to see if he's done many, but I definitely agree with his suggestion of sleeve over band - check out this site and you'll find lots of reasons why people prefer the sleeve, and also some horror stories of bands gone wrong and people converting to sleeve (and others unable to do so due to damage done by bands). Okay, I admit it, I'm anti-band - but like most others, that's where I started my search and was nearly convinced until I found out about the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 9:38 am

Welcome to the forum, I am from the central coast as well. You won't regret having the sleeve. Good luck with your journey.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: hello from Gosford NSW   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 9:24 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on your decision to be sleeved, you will love it!

Good luck with your journey.

Back to top Go down

hello from Gosford NSW
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: