View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Samadii

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-06-04

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 2:55 am

Congrats on your progress :)...    The picc line was an optional addition as my last surgery I was very dehydrated before and the anethetist could not find a vein on the table and was gassed to sleep without them having access. I changed to dr Stradwick and he made my surgery all the better and safer in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
elkagirl

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-10-05

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 2:50 am

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply.  Makes things clearer for me.  I didn't realize we need to have a PICC line inserted.  You are making amazing progress - congratulations. WLS is not an easy decision to make and I also have been struggling with the thought of such permanent surgery but I hope the benefits will outweigh (!!!!) the risks.
I live 8hours from Adelaide so am wanting to book flights and accommodation for my husband in advance.  I also am planning on 4 nights if all goes well.  My heaviest weight was 144kg. Dr France has set me the challenge of 115 pre op.  So far I am hovering at 123 and need to get my big bum into gear and start moving the scales again.  As you know thats no easy feat when your mind set is elsewhere.
I will continue to watch your posts with interest - onwards and downwards from here!!
Thanks
Elka
Back to top Go down
Samadii

Male

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 2:30 am

This could be a longish post...

I went into surgery 28th may at the Ashford hospital, I arrived at 8 am so I could be admitted early so I could go to benson so and have a PICC line installed prior to surgery, saves on out of pocket cost if I was to do it as an outpatient, Dr Stradwick suggested it..

After i was admitted my wife and kids came with me to a private room where a nurse asked me to change and did the pre op check, weigh-in, blood pressure, general obs. At around 9:30am I was walked to be Bensons for the picc line. No pain there. 

We went back to our waiting room untill I was called in for surgery. I left my family there and they went shopping. While I was in the theatre waiting room I spoke with both Dr France and Dr Stradwick. Fears were set aside and the jokes began.

After the surgery I was woken by nurses in ICU( sleep apnea) and my family with very little pain, for me it radiated from both shoulders of all places. Within 2 hours after surgery I was rolling on to my sides to get into more comfortable positions as I had very bad nausea. 

The first night sleep is very restless with all the obs and meds, I slept pretty much the following day though. I was moved from ICU to high dependency for the second night, then I was moved to. A private room for 2 more nights..
I was in hospital for 4 nights and would have stayed a 5th mainly due to bad nausea, but Michael was pleased with everything else so I was dishcharged. 

The first 3 days were very bad for me mentally. Coming to terms with what has happened to me and my choices in life lol. But now being day 8 I can already feel the beginnings of fantastic times ahead..

At my heaviest we stopped counting at 220kg, 1 month before surgery I was 196kg. 8 days post op I am 179.6kg
Back to top Go down
elkagirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 2:11 am

Hi Sammaddii, 
you sound like you are having a dream run, well done.
i am also being sleeved by Dr France in 4 months.  Just a query, how long did he keep you in post op?  
Elka
Back to top Go down
Joybells
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-04

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Thu 04 Jun 2015, 10:37 am

Thanks Heaps for your feed back sammadii,  You are only 7 days post sleeve and singing his praises - Man oh man that is fantastic as I thought the first month would not be nice at all. I saw aneathatist today and also Dr France and he treated me like a star patient as I had lost the required 7 kgs over the last month and I thought I was slow. So its all go for me now and all the paperwork payements done so only forward from now on. Saw another of Dr Frances patients today walking across to his rooms and we got talking and she told me she had been sleeved 18mths ago and she had only accolades for Dr France as well and her journey of 60kg loss. WOW all I can say is I am so inspired by all these wonderful people around me and Have already felt the benefit of not carrying around 7kgs of extra luggage. Cant imagine what I will feel like when I ofload another 30.
Wishing you well on your journey and may be some day we will meet at a sleevers gathering or some where.
Hush I'm a secret sleever too!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Back to top Go down
Samadii

Male

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Thu 04 Jun 2015, 7:51 am

Hi peeps. I have been seeing Dr France for over a year now and I cannot find better words on how much of an awesome human who has near gods gift to surgery. 
 I am 7 days post sleeve op and I never had any pain from of the suture sights or on the inside apart from the usual cramping pains..
I used Dr Stradwick as my anesthetist, who made the whole pre op precedures stressless. 

Dr France did my gallbladder removal 5 months ago aswell with a diff anesthetist. 

I will sing his praises to anyone thinking about bariatric surgery. (But not family, secret surgery for me).....
Back to top Go down
Joybells
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Mon 25 May 2015, 7:55 am

Hi Elkagirl,
Welcome and thanks for your message. Im in Adelaide and being sleeved on 15 June. I also have to loose 7-8kgs and bought my surgery forward from July so it didn't collide with babysitting over school holidays. It is coming fast and I am 6 weeks on Optifast - already 3 weeks in and 3 weeks til op. I have lost 4 kg at half way but had a bit of a stall this week so hopeing to get there! All the best to you. Have found the Month of your op thread to be very supportive. We have 22 already introduced and on our list for June. Its good to help encourage each other at the same stage. Good luck with the pre op weight loss - it will be well worth the  effort and help us comply afterwards as hopefully we will have prepared our head space.  
I talked to one of his sleevers at 1 year out and it was a great incentive to make the appointment and do something for myself this year. We may see each other down the track at a sleevers get together.
Cheers for the coming year!
Back to top Go down
elkagirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Mon 25 May 2015, 7:13 am

Hi joybells, 
i am booked in for a sleeve with dr france on the 1st october. Waiting for my phi to kick in. Starting to get closer, just over 4 months to go (and counting!!).
I have met with him once and will review with him end of july. He has challenged me to use my wait time to get my weight down pre op. Im currently 123 and need to be 115kg by july so better get a move on!! Dr france seems very nice and his credentials are excellent so i feel safe putting my stomach in his hands so to speak!!!
how about you, when is your surgery??
Elka
Back to top Go down
Joybells
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Mon 25 May 2015, 5:18 am

Hi Aramat,
Thanks so much for the encouragement and glad you experienced a good hospital stay. I have stopped reading of the complications as need to get in the positive headspace to get through this with out too much stress. I have had glowing reports of Dr France so have complete confidence in him as a surgeon. BUT in saying that it is life changing surgery and no going back so just needing the positive vibes from those her in Adelaide that are having a good journey. I realise it is still hard work to ensure the sleeve works but I feel this is the best things I can do for myself at this stage of life to be healthy in the future. Thanks so much for answering my message as nothing recent on this feed.

Can I invite you as a friend seeing you are with the same surgeon?
Back to top Go down
aramat

Female
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2014-10-12

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 24 May 2015, 2:02 pm

Hi Joybells.
I was sleeved on the 14 Jan 2015 by Michael France.  I found him to be very friendly, and professional, with a lovely bedside manner.  He operated from Ashford Hospital and his office is there aswell, and he usually checks up on his patients everyday.  Which was nice to know.  Even the anaesthatist came to see how I was going. 

I have had no issues with my stitches, no leaks,didnt have to have one of those barium swallow tests, never thrown anything up.  Its been a dream run for me.  Even in hospital I had no issues after surgery except for when I threw up and they started giving me anti-nausea medication which actually made me more nauseous.  But soon as I told the nurses that I didnt want that medication I felt 100 times better. I have discovered that the 2 times that I have had to go under general aneasthetic my body likes to throw up to get it out of my system,  and I tend to feel better then. The doctors dont want you to dehydrate so if you do throw up they like to give you the anti nausea meds.  I was drinking pretty much 1 - 2 cups  of liquid every hour.  Cordial definetly made it easier.  Dont be scared to tell the nurses if you want to stop any medication or to cut down on certain ones. 

The nurses were wonderful, and very accomodating.  The only issue I had was the crappy soups and optislim they served.  Couldnt stomach optislim as I was used to optifast. My suggestion to anyone going in for sugery is to bring your own opti drink, peppermint tea (help with relieving trapped gas), miso soup or cup-a-soup or even campbells broth/stock which is nice to drink.

I think as long as you stick to the doctors guidelines of when and what to eat you will be right because its really crucial in the beginning as you stomach is healing and you dont want to cause any problems for yourself.  

I started of at 124kg when I first saw Michael, then by surgery I was down to 113 and I am currently 94kgs.  So that a loss of 30 kgs.  I have my stalls but as long as I am losing .5-1 kg a week Im happy.
Im down from a size 24/26 to an 18/20.   Its great to try on clothes in your wardrobe and find them loose even tho 4 weeks earlier they were snug.  

Its been over 8 years since I was this size, my last dieting success before I fell pregnant with my last child. Not a day goes by that I am thankful for the wonderful opportunity I had to get sleeved and I know that you are in great hands with Michael France.  He has been doing this surgery for many years and has taught many surgeon interstate.  He is not in it just for the money but genuinely cares about helping us who are obese, otherwise he would be charging substantially more for his services.  

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Joybells
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 24 May 2015, 1:16 pm

Just wanting to know if there are any of Dr Frances 2015 sleevers out there. Adelaide sleevers seem thin on the forum. Would love to see how you are cruising with your new beginings.
Back to top Go down
loving it.....77

Female
Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 13 Mar 2011, 11:05 am

hi Gail..........yes it is Dr france......will be seeing him tuesday so am very excited, and wishing, praying hoping he has a cancellation so i can be bumped up again......lol
Jody
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 13 Mar 2011, 5:44 am

Hiya,

Is Michael your doctor, if so then yes he is lovely and very good at what he does.

I just love going for checkups.

Hope all works out soon for you.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Thu 10 Mar 2011, 6:25 am

Well, at least we are making SEMI healthy choices! I could go a chicken and cheese toasty!

At least it isn't KFC!
Back to top Go down
Mysti

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Wed 09 Mar 2011, 12:32 pm

Gottarhyme,
I was told I could have a 'Cafe' style meal the night before.... Which was delightful considering I had spent 3 weeks on Opti.... I had a chicken and cheese toasted sandwich (I was hanging for cheese badly... and as the family had chicken and chips the night before I was desperate for chicken too...lol...)

Good luck on Monday
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Wed 09 Mar 2011, 10:16 am

You poor thing. I am going in on Monday, and I am taking your advice to heart! I think I will have NOTHING for dinner the night before except soup! Although some members in here have said that they were naughty, and had 'last meals' of Pizza of all things, and they were still done.

I suppose everyone is different.
Back to top Go down
loving it.....77

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Tue 08 Mar 2011, 2:20 am

hi........i had a read of this and it doesnt sound like i have any symptoms of it........and no he wouldnt have overbooked, i was first on the list......and have been waiting since october......but i doubt very much he would do that...he is a lovely man.
am seeing him soon, so will let u no........lol
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Mon 07 Mar 2011, 9:43 pm

Do you have this? Gastroparesis?
http://www.gihealth.com/html/education/gastroparesis.html

The trigger to make me look was "vegetable" - i remembered some fibre veggies cause problems with stomachs emptying. And check if salad vegetables = vegetables to yr surgeon.
If you do have undiagnosed gastroparesis, you need to get it sorted pronto - put a call in to yr surgeon. The fundus is removed with VSG sleeves, the massge action doesnt return for months, and the pylorus & jejunum should be functioning as the take over the work of emptying your tum.

Alternative: is it possible the surgeon overbooked and didnt want to admit it! Or am i too cynical? Good luck!

I fasted as ordered from 8am for an early afternoon booking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
loving it.....77

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Mon 07 Mar 2011, 12:57 am

just because you havnt heard of it, doesnt mean it didnt happen, im not on here looking for sympathy....i want other people who's doctors say they can still have a meal the night before to know that this could happen....i was so nearly going to have an opti for tea.....BUT EVEN HAVING SAID THAT HE SAID IT WAS VEGIES WHICH I HAD EATEN ON SUNDAY NIGHT, not the salad i had monday night......the nurse who was with me actually said that she couldnt believe that i wasnt on a clear liquid diet at least 1 or 2 days before...
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 06 Mar 2011, 9:01 pm

Sorry I was a bit scepitical, but I am a registered nurse and in all my years of nursing have never heard of this.

Good luck with your journey.

Back to top Go down
loving it.....77

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:53 am

Thanks Amanda......

and i hope that it helps lots of people.........surely im not the only ome who this has happened tooo.
im trying to see if i can find anyone ....
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:48 am

I can understand how this could happen, as obese people our bodies dont need the food we put in it as quickly as a slim persons body does so it makes sense to me that it could sit in our tummys for longer than one would think.

I for one will be making sure im on clear liquids only the day before my op just in case, thank you for your honesty in sharing what happened to you Jody, and I do hope you conitue on your personal weight loss journey and next time breeze through the op.

warmly
amanda
Back to top Go down
loving it.....77

Female

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 06 Mar 2011, 9:39 am

why would i pull your leg.....
why would i risk not fasting......
im not an idiot.....
i was told to fast from midnight so thats what i did, had my 2 shakes then i had chicken and salad for tea....
doctor said i must have a belly that holds food , or something, cant really remember, was still a bit groggy....
next time i go under i will be on a clear liquid diet for 3 days prior.......
surely im not the only one this has happened to.......
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 06 Mar 2011, 7:13 am

jorashmac77 wrote:
well......it didnt happen....i went under and woke up with nothing had happened
i had food in my stomach, and yes i did fast......lol.....

Are you pulling our leg or what!!

If you fast your stomach will be empty.
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: dr France   Sun 06 Mar 2011, 5:06 am

What a huge disapointment for you hopefully you don't have to wait to long till you are done.

warmly
amanda
Back to top Go down

dr France
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: