HomeRegisterLog in
Share | 

Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 742
Registration date: 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Mon 28 Feb 2011, 3:54 am

Dear Slowlysinking
I truly understand how you feel.
Any surgery is a serious decision, and this surgery is major - it takes a lot of consideration, and then you need to weigh up the pros and cons, risks and opportunities.
You are doing your research, and you are hearing from people who have real experience of life before and after a sleeve - this forum will give you so many insights and information, then you need to take your concerns to your doctor - get a second or third opinion if you are still unsure.
And then, make your decision and stay confident with it. People on here are honest and they care for you.

I wish you great success in your decision and your life - I love my sleeve!
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
Gutless Wonder

Female
Number of posts: 163
Registration date: 2009-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:08 pm

slowlysinking wrote:
Although I'm 12 months off, I find myself weighing up the pro's and con's, and wondering if anyone has actually died from having the surgery?

Thanks.

I nearly died from a leak.
Had to have several emergency surgeries to repair stomach. In hospital for a bit over 2 months.
I know of another woman who died a couple of months after her surgery.
It was very sad. She looked so good, had lost a lot of weight, but complications became serious and she died.
Back to top Go down
BingoButt

Female
Number of posts: 78
Registration date: 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Wed 16 Feb 2011, 8:56 pm

Just putting my personal 2 cents worth in....

I was dead before the sleeve and re-born again after it...that's how I feel about the whole thing... it's not just your eating the changes but you DO become a whole different more confident person... you start to see changes in others as well as yourself...

and the better you feel as each day passes....
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1749
Registration date: 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Tue 15 Feb 2011, 1:22 am

Hi Slowlysinking,
I am being sleeved by Patrick later on today. You will be happy with him.
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2844
Registration date: 2010-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Mon 14 Feb 2011, 6:49 pm

Good luck

S
Back to top Go down
slowlysinking

Female
Number of posts: 49
Registration date: 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Mon 14 Feb 2011, 4:58 am

Thanks guys, I plan on using Dr Patrick Moore (MELB). I'm off to an info night tonight to see what "feel" i get from him.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 1175
Registration date: 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 11:41 pm

Any operation has some mortality risk, because you are giving people anesthesia and there's always a risk of bleeding or infection from any surgery. My surgeon had not had any mortalities, which was one of the factors I considered in choosing him. I also felt comfortable that they did thorough testing preop to identify people with surgical risks (lung function, sleep apnea, diabetes etc).
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2844
Registration date: 2010-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 9:24 pm

People definitely have died...

Am aware of several in Perth and one in particular will be the subject of a coronial inquest this year.

Joy's post was spot on....there are risks...but those of us who are seriously obese are dying slowly anyway...

Make sure you fully investigate your surgeon -- ask around on the web and the board...and make sure you do what your surgeon and doctors say...

The sleeve has been a fantastic option for me...I don't regret a moment of it...

S
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 654
Registration date: 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 8:44 pm

One died who was 300kg or something with heart problems. One years ago had her stomache made too small (probably before they used bougies) and she died from basically malpractice. TIP Choose your surgeon wisely and who has a tonne of experience. One who will not operate if its outside of his parameters.

One nearly died after they drank 2L Coke as soon as they got home from surgery. Another got pretty close when he ate Macdonalds on way home from hospital and also burst sutures. TIP listen to your dietician.

I think, if you are comfortable with your surgeon, and you dont do anything silly, any problems can be rectified.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
realme
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 763
Registration date: 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 8:16 pm

My surgeon told me that he had one patient die but it was not due to the actual sleeve operation, this patient had a blood clot which of course nobody knew was there and killed them on the operating table.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1776
Registration date: 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 5:32 pm

I watched a program which i think MAY have been 60 minutes where an aussie man nearly died from complications after lapban surgery,infection from memory,not the actual op and the surgereon/operations Lib has mentioned below, which was also not during surgeries but after effects and a dodgy surgeon to boot (not sleeve as mentioned) I havent heard of any sleeve deaths.As your surgeon would have told you there are risks withany surgery you undergo that you need to weigh up.I think if you have a reputable/experienced surgeon and youve done your research then that should put your mind at ease with weighing up risks.
i hope this helps!
shelly
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1594
Registration date: 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 5:17 pm

Look at it this way...if you can't find anyone who's died from it online, you won't! And weigh it up against the obesity issues that people are dying from EVERY SINGLE DAY!!

There is some info on the net about a dr who's paitents died, he was from the gold coast, but his paitents had the switch, not the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1272
Registration date: 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 5:09 pm

I have only recently been sleeved; (amd I know exactly where you are coming from) due to other major operations I was initially worried about this also and the first thing I mentioned to my surgeon (whom I saw at my GPs instistence, for a talk only); afterwards I was rest assured that I would be okay; with the surgeon promising if it was too hard he would not proceed; he said an 80% chance of going forward, once started. I was sleeved last Tuesday and am told so far I have had a dream run, even to the extent of very little pain... now on the other side ... not regretting it for one moment so far. I waited eight months before going ahead with a date (now I wish it had of been years ago) as I needed to do my own research for my own peace of mind. (this site and assistance from others on this site is mind blowing fantastic.. read.. and you shall find what you seek.. if not ask... someone will answer you). I came to the final conclusion that the ever so slight risk (and I have not researched the exact %); was worth it to prolong my life; in balance to only having a few years down the track, the way I was going quite fast. With research and knowledge you will find your fears will dwindle and you will look forward to having your surgery, only you can make up your mind. Talk care and good luck with your decision.
Back to top Go down
slowlysinking

Female
Number of posts: 49
Registration date: 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?   Sun 13 Feb 2011, 3:59 pm

Although I'm 12 months off, I find myself weighing up the pro's and con's, and wondering if anyone has actually died from having the surgery?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down

Has anyone actually died from getting the sleeve?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  ::  :: -