REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mini_me_tobe

Female
Number of posts: 36
Registration date: 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 3:43 am

here is a link to a surgeon who does it in mexico one of the more popular surgeons.

but even in this he suggests it may not be reversible or even able to be revised from

http://www.endobariatric.com/plication.htm

http://bariatrictimes.com/2010/05/19/laparoscopic-greater-curvature-plication-an-alternative-restrictive-bariatric-procedure/
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 287
Registration date: 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 3:41 am

There are 5 year plus patients now as the first sleeves were almost 10 years ago. The last big study (which is old now) is the Criangle one. The Plication was introduced in 2007 so is even newer than the sleeve. It involves folding the stomach and stapling the fold.

The best surgery is the DS but there are strong risks. The sleeve is the first part of the DS. There is a lot of choice out there so I would keep reading many forums and articles as the best choice for you may not be someone elses :)

Last edited by Keridwyn on Wed 17 Nov 2010, 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shopgirl

Female
Number of posts: 46
Registration date: 2010-09-08

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 3:34 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments, but I think you all have not got the reason why I am interested in reversible....
I have had a lapband for the past 5 years that I recently had to have removed as it had completely eroded into my stomach. It has been a far from pleasant experience and something this far down the track was not expected - it is quiet rare only 2 percent of people and so far on here this forum have only read one other persons experience in erosion. Trust me the reversibility of the surgery has nothing to do with deciding one day I don't want the surgery and having it reversed - it is a case of that Sleeve surgery as I have been told - correct me if I am wrong is relatively new in WLS! Yes it has been used for other surgeries etc tumors cancer etc but noone is 5 years out. So my resevation comes from the fact I was 5 years out on my lapband that was successful for me (not allowed to have another one due to damage that occured) and there is a geniune fear for me at the moment of well what if I have sleeve done and 5 years down the line I have yet again fallen into it rarely happens catergory and something goes wrong - that is the part that I am trying to deal with at the moment.
Trust me I know what it is like to be obese - loose the weight - have the tool that help you loose the weight removed through no control of your own - and 6 weeks out the complete head game of food is on again when I thought that part of my life had been left behind.....and its not....even though I am not back at what I started no where near just because I have lost majority of the weight does not make it easier to keep off. Part of the decision for me to have WLS years ago was to stop this never ending cycle and head games with Food.... If I had no issues with the lapband eroding I probably would not give sleeve a second thought but it is through this unpleasant experience that I am as I NEVER thought this would happen to me 5 years down the track....
thanks for the links I will investigate them...x
Back to top Go down
Keridwyn
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 287
Registration date: 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 3:28 am

I would expect what they are doing is Gastric Sleeve Plication.

It is not a sleeve gastrectomy and the results so far are not as good. There are some threads on it on Obesity Help.

Quote :
Gastric sleeve plication is a weight loss procedure that is also referred to as gastric imbricaiton or laparoscopic greater curvature plication (LGCP™).

There are two restrictive techniques in bariatric surgery: adjustable gastric banding (Lap Band) and vertical sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve). Gastric sleeve is a restrictive surgical technique that involves resection (cutting, removal) of up to 80% of the stomach by means of stapling the greater curvature of the stomach. Though a smaller proportion of overall weight loss procedures performed are gastric sleeves, it is the fastest growing bariatric procedure, with good results on weight loss. Adjustable gastric banding is less invasive than sleeve gastrectomy, with successful but less rapid weight loss.

Gastric sleeve plicaiton is a restrictive bariatric surgical technique that eliminates the complications associated with adjustable gastric banding and vertical sleeve gastrectomy -- it does this by creating restriction without the use of implants and without gastric resection (cutting) and staples.

Quote :
The article cites 62 patients with an end result of 8 patients losing 61% of their excess weight, while the remaining 54 patients lost at least 10% of their excess weight. Those statistics look negative to me with only like 15% of the patients losing well and since it is so new (2007) there is no long term information. It is still an option, albeit an experimental one.

Quote :
here is another site showing a study done and only shows a 50 pc loss of excess weight and only 1 out of 4 people making it to 70 pc excess lost.

Last edited by Keridwyn on Wed 17 Nov 2010, 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 334
Registration date: 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 3:20 am

Good luck with your resarch. There is no way I would want it reversed.

The reason I got the sleeve rather than the band is because it couldnt be reversed. I spent 2 years researching. Good on you for researching.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 7032
Registration date: 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Wed 17 Nov 2010, 2:18 am

Haven't heard about that - don't know how it could be reversible when they remove most of your stomach, though.
One of the reasons I chose the sleeve is that it is NOT reversible - I have no wish to go back to where I was before.
Good luck in your research.
Back to top Go down
James
Sponsor

Male
Number of posts: 165
Registration date: 2010-10-26

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 9:31 pm

HI if your thinking about, if the operation is reversible, then maybe the Lapband would be best for you, as this can be taken out anytime you wish. I have been sleeved since the beginning of this month and lost 12kgs so I am very happy and no problems so far.

thanks James.
Back to top Go down
http://www.renshiforex.com
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2600
Registration date: 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 9:01 pm

I haven't heard of it, but would be interested to know more. To be honest, I can't imagine why I would EVER want my sleeve reversed... why would I want to put the 80kgs I've lost so far back on? And I am sure that is what would happen, I've been down that track before. The fact that my sleeve is still going to be there making sure I don't backslide is one of the great attractions for me.

- Carrie :-)
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2342
Registration date: 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 8:55 pm

My main thing is that I don't want this to be reversible..... i want it permanent... but that is me I suppose....

My thoughts also are - that there may be "what ifs" down the line but the problems that I had with being obese were here - now... and are not "what ifs".....

Personal choice has a lot to do with this type of surgery.......

good luck with your research.....
Back to top Go down
shopgirl

Female
Number of posts: 46
Registration date: 2010-09-08

PostSubject: REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 6:17 pm

Has anyone heard of a reversible sleeve? Apparently there is a surgeon operating out of St George Private in Sydney and is performing reversible gastric sleeve surgery, just wondering if anyone knows anything about it.....
I have a real concern about the permancey of the gastric sleeve....what if something goes wrong down the line what options are there then? This reversible sounds great but is it too good to be true....
Back to top Go down

REVERSIBLE SLEEVE....?????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-