View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 1175
Registration date: 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   05/11/10, 08:34 am

Oh, isn't that weird?! BMI of 27 would be 76kg for me, so I am right around +14kg over that. I am only 14 weeks postop though.. hope the weight loss doesn't stop yet!!

I do need to exercise more, but I have been tracking my food since wt loss stalled this week, and intake is good; right around 1000-1200 cals. The only things I snack on that I probably shouldn't are sugar-free popsicles (15 cals each, eat lots!) and fat-free crackers with diet cheese (not many). I don't drink water either, and I know I should drink more.

I have been constipated so that can't be helping..! Big party weekend coming up so maybe some drinks will put my cals up and shock the old body into losing again!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1999
Registration date: 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   04/11/10, 06:27 pm

the sleeve gets most to about 10 to 15kg over a bmi of about 27. after that the vast majority have to examine their diet and add exercise to get lower.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 1175
Registration date: 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   04/11/10, 06:16 pm

I hadn't heard of a BMI 32 plateau...? I am interested because my BMI is 32 and my weight is bouncing up and down, can't work out why it won't go down!
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts: 182
Registration date: 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   04/11/10, 11:45 am

Hi Jan,

One of my pre-op vices I wanted to improve on was skipping breakfast. I had coffee too. I also used to have the bulk of my calories in the afternoon/evening/nighttime so this was a pattern of behaviour I really wanted to break..cos I am the worlds worst grazer and for me it was important to deal with the breakky issue first...

What Ive done is turn my coffee into an iced coffee protein shake. That way I know Im getting a hit of protein straight up. I use wpi powder from the bulk/healthfood store, add it to a low fat milk latte.but ..if I am running late or feeling lazy, I have been known to resort back to optislim or even quickstart (Scumbag Aldi version of Up&go), not ideal but better than nothing.

Also when I tracked my nutrients...(recommend 'fitday' for this), it helped me realise that I was nowhere near getting in the protein I thought I was...I was way off in fact. An egg is good but is only 8g. A yogurt the same. Even a 50g serve of processed chicken or ham has only 9-10g!

I ditched the cruskits as they were becoming addictive for me, and I think they triggered more hunger too, and my toppings were slowly slowly becoming more evil..now I have a few high protein things like ham slices and cheese, or smoked salmon and cream cheese roll-ups...if I am out I will use an up and go or even half a protein bar...just to keep my metabolism ticking along.

I plateau all the time..weight loss has definitely been step-like for me, right from the get-go and I cant draw a direct correlation between what the scales say and what Ive been doing at all! Its frustrating and Im now at week 4 of a plateau - the dreaded BMI 32 plateau which sorts the men out from the boys.

In frustration I started to log my daily intake again and guess what...1. Not enough protein and 2. Not enough calories..I was only managing around 600 and so now Im doing all of the above again in an attempt to getting things moving again..oh and added in exercise too...oh and water...Im real bad with the water.

Deb

Back to top Go down
karen67

Female
Number of posts: 27
Registration date: 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   10/10/10, 12:56 pm

yay Carrie... thanks for that link. I have been trying to find that section..... I too am struggling with eating the same old all the time.....

jan, I too eat the cruskits, but instead of vegemite, have some protien on them... I have salmon, mayo, lemon mix which i make. OR a mashed egg mixed with mayo, OR cottage cheese is really good for protein too.... I buy the flavoured one with onion and chives, not bad at all, and really low fat, high protein....

right, Im off to check out that link :)
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1776
Registration date: 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   10/10/10, 07:47 am

I would probably replace the cruskits of a mtea and arvo with some protien like forme yogurt or some cheese and a savoury bikky like a vitawheat or even a piece of fruit to mix it up abit.Do you like smoothies???
Also i would be trying to eat something at brekky,that gets the metaboliesm working,i found when i wasnt eating brekky my weight stalled.I like the uncle tobys protien cereal.
cheers
shelly
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2600
Registration date: 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   10/10/10, 07:40 am

Hi Jan,

Here is a link to the "What did you eat yesterday?" thread. As Coco mentioned, there are lots of great ideas there : "What did you eat..." link

Have a look, but like the others, I think you probably do need to increase your protein. My dietician told me that if I didn't eat enough protein I would stop losing weight, and in my experience she was spot on. When I am not careful to keep my protein up I do slow down or stall.

Do a search on the site for protein and you'll find lots of useful info.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Max
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 390
Registration date: 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   09/10/10, 09:32 pm

Hi Jan,

I;m not expert either, but I don't think you are eating enough.
It seems you are really only having 1 meal of an evening. Cruskits are good but like cocoloco suggested add some protein, I often use ham or chicken with some avacado and block tasty cheese. Your body needs a minimum amount of calories to function I stuck with 800 - 1000 a day, it worked for me along with some exercise.
Breakfast I often have 2 small round pieces of bacon, (not the fatty end) 1 egg and a few baby spinach leaves and maybe even 1/4 cup of baked beans. Good hearty brekky, gets me through most of the day, I then have 2-3 small caps throughout the day if not some cruskits and ham and cheese and then a good meal consisting of protein and salad or veges. and then a few snacks later in night maybe some nuts or piece of fruit.

I found counting calories the best way to go to be sure I was getting enough.

All the best
Max
Back to top Go down
cocoloco
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 215
Registration date: 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Sample Menus???   09/10/10, 08:15 pm

Hi Jan,

I am certainly not an expert but here is what I had today....

B - 1 egg & 2 slices WW bacon
MT - skim latte
L - 2 cruskits with extra lite philly & shaved chicken
AT - skim latte
dinner - salmon & some salad
evening - ovaltine light break & forme yoghurt

How about some protein on your cruskits instead of vegemite? Tinned tuna or chicken or even low fat cream cheese...eg philly extra lite?

Have you started exercising? It really helps the scales move for me....

Hope this helps...have you looked on the 'what did you eat today thread?' for more ideas?

Coco x
Back to top Go down
NQGIRL *Jan

Female
Number of posts: 146
Registration date: 2010-07-24

PostSubject: Sample Menus???   09/10/10, 07:59 pm

Evening everyone - how are you all??

I'm in need of some advise (again).. Can some of you give me ideas about meals and snacks through out the day. I have hit a plateau and after reading heaps - think I am not eating enough.

Basically at the moment I am eating the following
B - Coffee
MT - 2 x cruskits with Vegemite
L - Leftovers from night before or 1 x egg
AT - 2 x cruskits with Vegemite
D - Stews/Chicken stir fry/sausage/1 x egg

I am eating till I'm full - which doesn't seem like much (maybe 4 or 5 teaspoons)

Think I just need some ideas about more nutritious food (my dietician and surgeon aren't the most helpful people around).
I don't eat seafood at all, and I can't stand cottage cheese.

Anyway - any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jan
Back to top Go down

Sample Menus???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  ::  :: -