Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Share | 

How will I get through the next 51 weeks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Tue 14 Sep 2010, 11:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys,

I have only JUST taken out PHI last week and it's driving me nuts, knowing that I can't have my sleeve surgery for 12 months.

Are there a lot of you that had to wait this long? How did you cope?

I am going to try Tony Ferguson (again) in the meantime, but every time I try, I don't end up sticking to it.

Woe is me lol
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Bellshell
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Fri 08 Apr 2011, 11:41 pm

Hey Lostgurl,

The only reason why I am applying to Apra before I see the surgen is because it takes weeks to get approved.
If I had more time inbetween the appointment and the surgery I would wait to apply to Apra.
I will see him in June and I am booked in for surgery in July.

Last Jan I rang and got a surgery date. As I have just been waiting for my PHI to kick in.

So my date for my surgery was the first date after my PHI kicks in that the surgen will be back from leave to operate.
Back to top Go down
Synna
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 436
Location : That twilight space between sleep and consciousness
Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Fri 08 Apr 2011, 10:05 pm

Another day down, another day closer! Just over 4mths to go now for me :) The year is flying by, but I'm so busy at work and home I really don't have time to sit down and ruminate over it that often. Keep busy people, it helps the time go faster.
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Fri 08 Apr 2011, 12:53 pm

lostgurl wrote:
That's EXACTLY right lovelyslim ... we will all be done by the end of 2011!

Well I had my first appointment today at the Ian Michell suite with the Nurse. The 2 girls on reception were lovely and so was the Nurse ... I am very pleased!

She took my weight, height and waist measurement etc. We sat down and had a chat and she told me a little about the sleeve and the bypass. Now I need to look more into the bypass because right now I am feeling a little unsure of which direction I should go!

She gave me referrals for blood tests and a chest xray ... it's such a good feeling to finally get the ball rolling!

No date yet Kazz. I have read on here that some people going through APRA, get their date at the first visit with their Surgeon, but when I asked the girls at the desk, they were really unsure about that. Looks like I will just have to wait and see what happens.

My first visit with Ian Michell will be May 27th, but they have me down on their cancellation list for something earlier, so fingers crossed. I picked a shyte of a time to start my journey, as Ian has taken a few weeks leave as of today and with Easter coming up, things are a little hectic with their appointment schedules.

I think I am going to make a little journal of my journey from start to finish :)

Well Done Lostgurl ..... thats fantastic your first Steps ..........
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Fri 08 Apr 2011, 11:51 am

That's EXACTLY right lovelyslim ... we will all be done by the end of 2011!

Well I had my first appointment today at the Ian Michell suite with the Nurse. The 2 girls on reception were lovely and so was the Nurse ... I am very pleased!

She took my weight, height and waist measurement etc. We sat down and had a chat and she told me a little about the sleeve and the bypass. Now I need to look more into the bypass because right now I am feeling a little unsure of which direction I should go!

She gave me referrals for blood tests and a chest xray ... it's such a good feeling to finally get the ball rolling!

No date yet Kazz. I have read on here that some people going through APRA, get their date at the first visit with their Surgeon, but when I asked the girls at the desk, they were really unsure about that. Looks like I will just have to wait and see what happens.

My first visit with Ian Michell will be May 27th, but they have me down on their cancellation list for something earlier, so fingers crossed. I picked a shyte of a time to start my journey, as Ian has taken a few weeks leave as of today and with Easter coming up, things are a little hectic with their appointment schedules.

I think I am going to make a little journal of my journey from start to finish :)
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Thu 07 Apr 2011, 3:58 pm

Hey lets look at it this way ....we will be done this year 2011 ....YEAHA ......

Counting down the days 6 months and 3 weeks to go .......
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Tue 05 Apr 2011, 11:11 pm

Hope your apt goes well lostgurl! Let us know if there's any news, ie, you get a date! :)

6 months down for me, 6 months to go!! It is going quicky when I look back, but also not, lol. Im just getting impatient. Getting sick of my body. I want to do so much more than what it is able to cope with. So I just end up feeling sore and tired all the time.

I have cut down on sugar in my tea and coffee, yay. And becoming more aware of my portion sizes. Baby steps. Old habits are so so so hard to break!!
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Tue 05 Apr 2011, 12:14 pm

So cool Lostgurl your in September .......... How exciting .........
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Wed 30 Mar 2011, 10:00 pm

6 months lovelyslim, awesome!

Yeah I don't expect it to be an easy quick fix Kylie, but a tool to help me tackle my problem.

Well I have my referral in my hot little hand and have my first appointment booked for next Friday, but the first appointment is to see the Nurse at the Ian Michell rooms. Then we will go from there!

I am also only looking at $3400 total for the surgery etc plus $500 excess on my PHI ... so I am one happy camper :).

I'm going to attempt to use my Super to fund it too.

Have a lovely day everyone!
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Wed 30 Mar 2011, 3:21 pm

LOOKING forward to surgery .......... it's April Yeaha ........ Half way there .... another 6 months ....

Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Tue 29 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm

Thanks heaps, that was really inciteful :)

I will definitely be sticking to the Opti lol
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Tue 29 Mar 2011, 9:02 am

lostgurl wrote:
I'm 5'6 (167cm I think) and 131kg ... I was 137kg a month ago, heaviest I've ever been also.

Sorry for my ignorance but why are the surgeons telling you to lose weight before the surgery? I know we have to Opti a few weeks before the surgery, but I was always under the impression that doing Opti was to help shrink the liver, so it's away from the stomach for when the surgery happens?

The surgeon likes you to lose weight before surgery mainly to shrink your liver. The surgery is keyhole, and there are five tiny incisions. Gas is pumped into your abdomen, so that your organs 'float' and are easier to move around. One surgeon likened a fatty liver as 'slippery' and like trying to operate with chopsticks trying to move it.

Also, if you lose weight, your surgery is naturally easier, less fat to get through, and also an easier recovery after laying flat on your back for a few hours with all that weight on your lungs, under heavy anaethesia.

There are cases on this forum where the surgeon opened the patient, only to find it too difficult because the patient had not lost enough weight, or the liver was too fatty, and there was a danger of cutting the liver accidently.

It kept me on Optislim for two weeks, I tell ya! The fear of waking up, and being told to 'go home, and lose more weight' or that my liver was 'too fatty' scared the Hell out of me!
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Tue 29 Mar 2011, 7:36 am

Last year when I made the choice to go ahead with the surgery I thought I will give myself till the end of the year with no pressure to lose weight, still have some social drinks and sometime too many social drinks.

So when this year came, I had all good intentions and did well for a couple of weeks.

That was about as long as it lasted, a couple of weeks. I don't know how much I lost or gained as I don't want to look. All I have noticed is I get more puffed when walking.

I think I am down to about 17 weeks now to go till my date. I have been making some better food choices and cut back on the drinking.
I do find I do like having meal replacements for breakfast. Sometimes I like it for lunch too. Some years ago I lost 45kilos on replacing 2 meals a day. I like not having to count and weigh things. I know it is not a long tern solution as I have put on the 45 plus an extra 15 as of last time I weighed myself.

I now know 2 people that have been sleeved. One done in Jan and one last Dec. They both said don't stress, it is harder before than after. Both have lost 30kgs alreday.

I still can't wait. I am not nervous. Today, just excited. Thinking about soups and cooking some dinners for the kids for when I am fresh out of hospital.
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Tue 29 Mar 2011, 6:07 am

Have you noticed how people that don't have a weight problem just don't understand why we are doing this? I mean ... yeah I'm successful at the moment counting calories, but the bad demons are creeping back in. I have good days and I have bad days. I am slipping a bit but I don't feel like chucking the towel in just yet.

Just think girls, by the end of this year, we will all be sleeved and on our journey to our goal weights :)

I am starting the ball rolling tomorrow and getting my surgeon referral from my doctor YAY!
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Mon 28 Mar 2011, 10:36 pm

Like Yeaha Bamba ........ I have gone crazy with FOOD ........ I am now 118kilos up from 115kg's have to STOP eating hehehehehehehehe ........ I have just finished watching the youtube video's on stories on Sleeve gastrectomy and that gives me HOPE .......and talking and seeing my Sleever friends keeps me hopefull .......... I have lost all my will power to lose weight but i really have to try ...... 27 more weeks to Go .........

Breath in ........ .......Breath OUT .........
Back to top Go down
Bamba
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2010-10-11

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Sat 26 Mar 2011, 12:04 am

I am hoping two weeks of optipuke and doing the 12 week Michelle Bridges challenge starting in June, I can lose at least 10 kilos and my surgeon and dietition should be happy with that!
Back to top Go down
http://realghoststories.com.au
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 11:09 pm

Not even my husband knows my weight! But here goes. Im 172cms, and 136kg. Highest Ive ever been. Dont know how Im doing it, but thankfully(have to be thankful for the small things!) I have been at this weight for last 12 months, so I definately do not want to gain any more now.
My surgeon has said that he would like me to lose 10-15kgs before the surgery. I have to do Optifast for 4 weeks prior to the surgery, which Im hoping I will at least lose 10kgs then.
Lostgurl, from the surgeons point of view, Im sure the more weight we can lose beforehand makes surgery just that little bit easier, and reduces the risks slightly, right? And the more weight we lose before surgery, means less to lose afterwards :) Take the advice of your surgeon, follow whatever he says to the letter, and all should be good.

I go back to see my surgeon in July, and thats when he wants me to 'ramp up' my weight loss efforts. 3 months of dieting, I can do that, right?? :)
So my plan of action will be to have any 'food funerals' before July......while also being careful. So if I can balance it out, and do things in moderation, I should be fine......thats my theory, we shall see how it all pans out!

(but yes, Ive noticed Ive become a bit more obsessed with food, thinking things like, 'well I wont be able to eat very much of this soon, make the most of it now' kind of thing. Totally the wrong mindset!! But not sure how to change it :( )
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:25 pm

I'm 5'6 (167cm I think) and 131kg ... I was 137kg a month ago, heaviest I've ever been also.

Sorry for my ignorance but why are the surgeons telling you to lose weight before the surgery? I know we have to Opti a few weeks before the surgery, but I was always under the impression that doing Opti was to help shrink the liver, so it's away from the stomach for when the surgery happens?
Back to top Go down
Bamba
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:13 pm

Lovelyslim - I hear ya, I have gone a bit crazy with food too these last couple of months and just can't seem to get myself on track. I have to lose 15 kilos before my operation and buggered if I know how I can do it?

I am 5'8 (I think that's 174cms??) and 129 kilos. (The biggest I have ever been).
I have less than 20 weeks to go until surgery. I lost 10 kilos late last year, but I had cigarettes then and they helped me lose the weight. All I have now is myself and no will power lol.
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Fri 25 Mar 2011, 2:10 pm

Yeaha yeaha it's so hard to lose weight ......... How much are you girls .....I am 164cm weight 115kilos ....And i have gone crazy with Food .......I can stop eating ......... Whats going on ........ My surgeon said i have to lose 10 before surgery ........ I am so depressed and gaining weight ...... i have added another 2 kgs in 5 weeks .......
i need to focus on the surgery soon in 31 weeks ........

Can't wait
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Thu 24 Mar 2011, 5:17 am

Hey kazz, it's been going good. It has changed my outlook on food and the calories they contain but old habits sneak in sometimes, as you know :(. I have lost 6kg so far, in around 4 weeks, so I'm happy with that at least. I'm not consuming anywhere near the amount of food that I was, which is good and i am not feeling bloated all the time like I was also.

Bamba I know that exact mindset you are talking about. It's like the day before you start a new diet, you freak out because you only have X amount to time to shove in as much chocolate or whatever else you love to chow down on, before the rabbit food starts!

That's what I'm doing at the moment, the Michelle Bridges challenge. It's good, lots of people are full on into the excercise she wants us all doing, but like I said before, I am just happy to focus on the food side of things, as that's my main issue, calorie intake! Maybe try and stay under 1200 cals per day and still have some of the things you love :) that's what I'm doing anyways.
Back to top Go down
Bamba
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Wed 23 Mar 2011, 11:23 pm

I lost 10 kilos just before Christmas .. Then on Jan 1st I quit smoking, have gained the whole 10 kilos back. =(
My dietition said I have to lose at least 15 kilos before I have the sleeve done.
I get motivated to lose weight and then I get lazy.. Sometimes I have the mindset to eat what I want because I will never be able to eat it again.

I am thinking of joining Michelle Bridges 12 week challenge, the next one starts in june.. But it will overlap with my operation so I don't know if it's worth doing!

Meh I'm all over the shop! lol
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Wed 23 Mar 2011, 6:22 am

Is anyone actively trying to lose weight while they wait for their surgery date?

I know you have been lostgurl, how is that going?

I'm trying to make a few small improvements, like cutting out sugar from my tea and coffee (finding it hard!) and reducing my portion sizes, esp for dinner. So while Im not actively trying to lose weight at this point, I am trying to develop better eating habits. I see my surgeon again in July, and thats when he wants me to ramp up my weight loss efforts.

You'd think having a surgery date to work towards would be good motivation huh?? But nup, Im finding old habits very hard to break :( its quite depressing.
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Wed 23 Mar 2011, 5:30 am

That's great Bamba! It's so good that we are all being done within a couple of months of each other :)
Back to top Go down
Bamba
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Wed 23 Mar 2011, 4:36 am

I have 20 weeks to go now .. =)
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   Wed 23 Mar 2011, 3:58 am

That's great Synna! :)
Back to top Go down

How will I get through the next 51 weeks?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: