Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tempest
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts: 3694
Registration date: 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Tue 17 Aug 2010, 10:17 am

Hi Deb,
Sorry Can't help at all other than to tell you to put a question in the general chat, it will get more lookers.

Back to top Go down
Bella77
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 289
Registration date: 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Mon 09 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

I had my band removed and it didn't cost me anything as my health insurance covered it all. As for the pain I think it depends why you are having it out. I was in alot of pain and discomfort and mine came out immediately on the same day I went to my surgeon to discuss the discomfort. So for me I was in no pain afterwards at all. I did end up staying two nights in hospital rather than just overnight, as I was vomiting a bit so he kept me in another night to watch that...but I vomit alot after any anaesthetic, so I think that was just me not the procedure. As for being at home I can't recall any discomfort at all. It was better than having it put in...not that that was bad either. But again having it out was a relief from what I was already feeling.
Back to top Go down
TexasBell
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 239
Registration date: 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Mon 09 Aug 2010, 11:59 am

Hi coutta, the band was a long and frustrating waste of time for me also. The Dr took mine out no charge and also no charge for anasthetic, but had to pay for sleeve and use the same anaesthetist who also charged. The sleeve is nothing like trying to live with a band, no vomiting, pain, able to eat healthy food now. I also was very worried this would not work after the band failure, and although a little slow for me I know this is my long term solution and am very happy with it. Goodluck
Back to top Go down
coutta

Female
Number of posts: 1
Registration date: 2010-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Sun 08 Aug 2010, 2:31 pm

Wow Gazz lucky you for your doctor to remove it at no cost. My doctor was informed by my GP about my constant struggles and he was not interested at all. It's costing me $1500 for a new doctor to remove my band next Monday 16th August and also $1200 for the anasthetic. Very expensive mistake getting the band and had nothing but hell with it. Tried for a year and a half putting up with it and lost NO weight (didn't gain either!). Looking at getting the sleeve end of October after a cruise but am sooooo scared to make another dumb mistake even though most people seem to be having great success when I research the band I thought everyone had great success with that too!!!
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts: 3694
Registration date: 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Wed 04 Aug 2010, 9:33 am

Hi Deb,

Sorry I can't be of any help at all re the band.
BUT I can tell you that you have chosen the best surgeon in the whole world LOL

Michael is just lovely and a brilliant surgeon.
We Adelaide people are having a get together on Friday 13th 6pm onwards for dinner and drinks at the Semaphore Palais. You are very welcome to come along. We all get together and help each other out. It is a great way to get loads of questions answered in one spot and actually see what has happened to those that have already had the op.

Good luck on the journey.
Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 970
Registration date: 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Mon 26 Jul 2010, 10:09 am

Ozzie, I think you'll find most of the Melbourne surgeons are a little limited in their sleeve experience. Sleeving is probably the only thing in the world that we're behind in ;)
If you trust your surgeon, and he's got a good reputation (and I know yours does), then go for it! I had mine done at The Epworth, and they were brilliant by the way...
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 742
Registration date: 2010-05-28

PostSubject: re: Choosing doctor   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 9:16 pm

That's right of course, it helps to know the doc. Didn't think of that earlier in discussion. Mr Harry Frydenberg at Epworth Richmond and Box Hill is my bariatric doctor. I have been impressed with him re the banding and the follow up stuff, and it did help that he had a banding support group going when I got my band done. And he is the one who suggested the sleeve gastrectomy, after perservering with the band for a long time. He easily and honestly answered the questions I came up wth about the sleeve. Trouble is I don't know what I don't know, so need to come up with more questions before my next visit in Sept.
It's just that on reading all the other posts here, it sounds like some of these other doctors have been doing this for a lot longer and might be more adept at the op, as well as their prices could be lower due to their efficiency at it. (Just a guess). But, I do trust Harry though and really want to have confidence in my doctor.
Thanks for the input - looking forward to more.
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2342
Registration date: 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 6:34 pm

first of all tell people on here who is your surgeon, as they would be able to give you advice whether he is good or not..... if you are unsure always get a 2nd opinion.....
good luck!
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 970
Registration date: 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 6:30 pm

I'd go with the doctor I trust.
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 742
Registration date: 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Cost of lap band removal   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 5:31 pm

Hi all
Just catching up on inspiration from you all. I have just had my band removed (5 July) by the doctor who put it in and who has tried to look after me since then (2000). It cost me $350 out of pocket for the anaesthetist and I got a $3000 bill from the doctor but have still to find out how much medicare will rebate. So it has been a bit costly. And he wants me to wait until late Sept before seeing me about the sleeve. I gather he has only done about 60 sleev ops, so is still pretty new at it but really enthusiastic. Should I see another doctor too, about the sleeve, or stick with the one I know, but who doesn't have a lot of experience, but whom I trust? Would like some input. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1975
Registration date: 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 1:19 pm

Hi Deb,
I have read on here that surgeons would rather the surgeon who put the band in, took your band out. But you would really need to talk to Dr France about that. You could probably even call his rooms and ask the question over the phone.
Let us know how you go.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2600
Registration date: 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 11:26 am

Thread moved from General Chat
Back to top Go down
gazz

Male
Number of posts: 28
Registration date: 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 11:24 am

Hi Deb. I had my band removed 5 weeks before getting sleeved, by the same Dr that put it in. It was removed at no charge. I was only in hospital overnight. I could go back to eating normally immediately. Tummy was sore for about 2 weeks after. Same as when I got band put in.
Back to top Go down
windsor

Female
Number of posts: 1
Registration date: 2010-07-25

PostSubject: Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide   Sun 25 Jul 2010, 11:16 am

Hi all

Well this is my first post after reading your posts for some time. I'm looking at seeing Dr France in Adelaide for removal of my lapband and replacement with gastric sleeve. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of the cost of removal of the lapband ??? From what I understand it will be removed first and then approx 3 mths later surgery for the sleeve. I've read a lot about the cost of the sleeve but have seen no mention of cost for removal of band. Anyone help ??? Or do you know if people have the surgeon who placed the band remove it then go to Dr France for the sleeve. Can anyone else tell me if the removal of the band is relatively minor surgery and roughly how long a hospital visit it is ???

Thank you to you all in advance
Deb
Back to top Go down

Cost/Pain removal of lapband prior to sleeve - Adelaide

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  :: -