HomeRegisterLog in
Share | 

How much recovery time after band removed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Maryanne79

Female
Number of posts: 23
Registration date: 2010-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Sun 09 May 2010, 8:08 pm

well.... I was in hospital for 3 weeks...and ill be back at work on 19th may lol

a little longer than i expected... :)

the details of my nightmare 3 weeks in hospital can be found in pre-op forum... titled "eroded lapband removal NIGHTMARE"

a bit of light reading :P
x
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts: 402
Registration date: 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Wed 07 Apr 2010, 12:27 pm

Hi,
I had my band removed recently. I didn't have any nasties like a slip or erosion but problems swallowing, odd pains and reflux. I've had no problems post op, just tender for about 10 days especially if I reached up high, tried to squeeze out the mop and if I twisted.
I'm a nurse and went back to work afer 8 days.

I have been having a bit of an eating frenzy...it must stop!!!!
Sleeve op booked for end of May.
Back to top Go down
TGirl

Female
Number of posts: 117
Registration date: 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Wed 07 Apr 2010, 7:50 am

Hi

Thought I would fill you in on how my recovery is progressing post band removal.

I had my band out last Wednesday (31/3) and aside from seeing the assistant surgeon on Thursday morning I don't know how it all actually went. I'm guessing it was all aok because the surgeon did not contact me with any "bad" news so that's good. I was paranoid for a few days though that my band was still in because I still had exactly the same feeling of pressure and of fullness!

At one week I am in very little pain but am uncomfortable. My last band removal/replacement was infinitely more painful so I am happy with this removal as I am on very few pain meds now and just having blood thinner injection every night for the next 3 weeks....

I am still feeling full and have about the same "real" hunger as with the band but my boredom hunger is rediculous! I am looking forward to going back to work and being busy. I have been advised to have 2 weeks off work so one more week to go.

Hope this has helped fill in some blanks.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
karlin

Female
Number of posts: 76
Registration date: 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Tue 06 Apr 2010, 1:40 pm

lol was just imagining you getting the guys to do your heavy lifting:) Im lucky the guys I work with are pretty mobile so I dont get to practice my manual handling very much with them.
I am taking a lot of time off after I get my sleeve as well as some of the guys I look after have a few challenging behaviours and I just cant risk it.
I hope everything goes well for you and that you are soon on your way to getting the sleeve done.
Back to top Go down
Maryanne79

Female

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Tue 06 Apr 2010, 7:53 am

thanks guys..... my band is in the early stages of erotion.... its only a little swollen, i can still run and jump etc lol....

as for getting my clients to do the heavy lifting (transfers etc)...theyre all quadies :P ABI...heavy boys, but ill manage i think, theyre only having me in hospital overnight....1 day of liquids then back onto normal diet....so hopefully the 2 weeks mark should do the trick....

when I get my sleeve done I'll be dipping into my long service leave and have a couple of months off for sure....dont wanna push it when i have staples holding my new stomach together!

thanks again...this forum is awesome :) xx
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 277
Registration date: 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Fri 02 Apr 2010, 6:39 pm

Just wanted to note that eneroded band removal is generally much more invasive than a slip or band removal for other reason. Your band is inside your stomach no longer all on the outside if it has eroded your stomach. I hope you have an easy removal procedure and can get back to work asap but be prepared for it to really knock you around. You could be vomiting for weeks or months after it comes out depending on how bad it is inside you.

Good luck and its probably more realistic to compare erosion surgeries not just general band removal as band removals or replacements without erosion can be simple in and out same day procedures.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2342
Registration date: 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Fri 02 Apr 2010, 6:32 pm

sorry must have been 1/2 asleep when reading it....I thought you meant between having band out and then getting the sleeve done.....

probably only a week you will need.....
Back to top Go down
karlin

Female
Number of posts: 76
Registration date: 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Fri 02 Apr 2010, 5:18 pm

I work in disabilities and I recently had my lapband removed (it had slipped). I took four days off and returned to work lol. I had no pain and just got the clients to do all the lifting.
Good luck with your band removal. I hope everything goes smoothly for you:)
Back to top Go down
TexasBell
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 239
Registration date: 2009-11-05

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Fri 02 Apr 2010, 1:36 pm

I was on a holiday 2 weeks after removal, but if you have a physical job I'd say 6 weeks. A eroded band removal would take longer recovery, best ask the surgeon.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2600
Registration date: 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Fri 02 Apr 2010, 1:22 pm

Really?? 3 months seems a long time, unless you had complications. I would have thought you could be back, on light duties at least, in 2-3 weeks if it all went smoothly.

Your surgeon will tell you what is best for you though.

-Carrie

Last edited by CarrieK on Fri 02 Apr 2010, 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2342
Registration date: 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Fri 02 Apr 2010, 12:46 pm

Usually longer the better...... usually minimum of 3 months....
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts: 277
Registration date: 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: How much recovery time after band removed?   Thu 01 Apr 2010, 6:46 pm

Itdepends how badly eroded it is and how much other damage has been done. How sick are you right now? Can you work at the moment? I was deathly I'll before it was removed It took me about 6 months and multiple surgeries I definently couldn't have gone back to work after 2 weeks I could barely walk. I am still having complications relating to the eroded band removal 10 months later. I hope they picked yours up soon enough good luck and be sure to ask your surgeon how bad it is and how long he thinks recovery will take you.
Back to top Go down
Maryanne79

Female

PostSubject: How much recovery time after band removed?   Wed 31 Mar 2010, 10:44 am

Hello all,
I apologise if this has already been discussed, i did do a search before deciding to create this post...

Im having my eroded lapband removed in 7 days and am a little concerned about how much recovery time i'll need...Im due to be back at work 2 weeks after my surgery date....do you guys think this will be enough time?

I work in disabilities....its quite physical work....but i can take it easy....

what do you think?

Many thanks
Maryanne.
Back to top Go down

How much recovery time after band removed?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  ::  :: -