AuthorMessage
Tempest
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts: 3694
Registration date: 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Mon 15 Mar 2010, 6:00 am

Hi Natalie,
For the Gathering there is a section for that with all the info on all the gatherings.
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/sleever-s-get-togethers-f10/
Just go here and then go look at Adelaide .

Your mother is a wise woman and should be listened to LOL
I had Michael and could not be happier with the results or who I have become.

See ya Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Natalie

Female
Number of posts: 124
Registration date: 2010-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Mon 15 Mar 2010, 1:50 am

Hi :)
I would love to come along on sunday. What good timing.
Where is it? Is there any cost involved?

My mum is a thearte nurse and has told me that for the sleeving Dr Micheal France is the best surgeon for the sleeving. And that for the banding Dr Paul Anderson is the best (he is who operated on me)

I am going to see Dr Anderson soon, and am going to discuss my options.

Hope to see you Sunday :)
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts: 3694
Registration date: 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sun 14 Mar 2010, 10:55 pm

Hi Natalie,
I have to tell you that I don't see the sleeve as being drastic at all. I actually don't feel any different physically. Sorry rephrase that I feel very different but not internally if you know what I mean.
I can eat anything I want, drink anything I want, only less. The weight loss is fantastic and the change in health and attitude to life is just overwhelming.

I love my sleeve, see ya Sunday.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
Megan

Female
Number of posts: 140
Registration date: 2010-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sun 14 Mar 2010, 9:17 pm

Hi Natalie

The next meet up is this Sunday at 2pm in the City.

One after that is in late may I think???

Check out the forum Carrie posted and click on Adelaide. I only went to my first one last month (2 days pre op) and this one I will be nearly 3 weeks post op :D

They were a great bunch of people and I cant wait for Sunday to see them all again.

Megan
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 2600
Registration date: 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sun 14 Mar 2010, 11:54 am

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to this wonderful site. The people here are so helpful & supportive, my journey would have been much harder without them.

Here is a link to the "Get Together" thread http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/sleever-s-get-togethers-f10/

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Natalie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sun 14 Mar 2010, 11:40 am

Hey Libby.

When are the meet ups? Im very interested in coming along to the next one :)
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Natalie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sun 14 Mar 2010, 1:13 am

Thanks so much guys! All of your replies have been very helpful and insightful.
The main reason i wanted to get the banding done is because my mum had it done, she had it for 12 years. But now it has slipped.
I think she is considering the sleeving now too.
I am seriously considering it. I will be talking to my surgeon asap.

Thanks again :)
Back to top Go down
Bela

Female
Number of posts: 170
Registration date: 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sun 14 Mar 2010, 12:58 am

Hi Natalie,

You shouldn't be too dissapointed about not having the band. The works for some people and not others. I got the banding done in 2008 and the doctors had to fix me up 3 times, so my scars are very bad and pronounced, and now there is nothing in me either!

I had so many problems on the band I refused for them to fix me up on the 3rd time and now I'm getting the sleeve done instead.

To me it was a very drastic decision aswell because the thought of half my stomach gone freaks me out too, but I'm one of those people who love food and have always had weight issues. I want to live as long as I can and I want to be a sexy mum and I don't want to have an issue with weight all my life.

That was how I made my decision. With the band I was vomiting all the time, missing out on my favourite foods, getting pains from eating to quickly and not being able to enjoy a romantic dinner out with my boyfriend... and with the sleeve I won't have those problems. The recovery of eating normally is definately a longer time frame than the band but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Don't be too down. It will get better.
I hope I helped you.
Lieza
Back to top Go down
Libby
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 1975
Registration date: 2009-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sat 13 Mar 2010, 10:50 pm

Hello and welcome Natalie.

I think you have just dodged a bullet. There are so many of us one here (and im one of them) that have had the lapband and had problems and now have the sleeve.

I assume you are thinking how drastic the sleeve is? I can totally understand your thinking. It is drastic but it will also save your life. Luckily the band is reversable because it doesnt work. The sleeve isn't reversable cos you can live with it forever.

Come along to one of the Adelaide meet ups and chat with people that have had it done and see people that are 1 & 2 years out and are at goal or below.

Keep reading this wonderful forum.

Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 4336
Registration date: 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sat 13 Mar 2010, 9:44 pm

You will be right this time Bob with the Pre-op diet, it will shrink your liver nicely

I was initially referred by my GP for banding, but I could never get my head around it, but after the second referral I went along to the seminar, where for the first time he spoke about the sleeve and had 1 lady there who had been sleeved at goal! I knew on that night what I wanted.

I am now 3 months post-op, I am happy and healthy, loving the sleeve.
I can eat anything, I have never vomited, no nausea.

We are trying to organise a meet up in Canberra, so if you are interested pop over to the thread and have a look.

Good luck with your journey.
Back to top Go down
catbert6

Male
Number of posts: 84
Registration date: 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sat 13 Mar 2010, 9:23 pm

Not a lot of advice, but empathy. I too had a banding procedure with no outcome - about a decade ago, before the practice of Opti dieting, the surgeon opened me up and found the size of my liver prevented the operation. He poked and prodded for a while, kept me under longer than usual while he had additional equipment brought in, and then stitched me up. He left my wife to tell me, when I awoke, that nothing had been done.

I am now scheduled for a sleeve in May. For me, it seems the best option and while it may seem drastic, I am attracted by the reduced ongoing problems and other factors. I was uncomfortable with having a foreign object implanted, the notion that I would require ongoing maintenance, and the idea that risk of failure and the need for intervention would rise over time. My take on it is that the risk is "front loaded" - that is, there is some tougher elements up front (more significant surgery, risk of leakage) but that the impact over time is actually less intrusive (no issues around slippage or erosion, no need for adjusting the fill, wider range of food and less risk of obstruction).

However, my wife says that if, for any reason, the surgeon is unable to complete the operation, she is taking a plane to Perth. Someone else can tell me this time.

Best wishes

Bob
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts: 4336
Registration date: 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sat 13 Mar 2010, 8:29 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You should be happy your banding didn't go ahead.
Some surgeons don't even do banding anymore because of all the complications it causes.
Just read some of the diaries here about it, they make interesting reading.
Sleeving is the way to go. I have been sleeved 3 months today, and LOVE IT!
I can eat anything, no nausea or vomiting whatsoever.

Good luck with your journey.
Back to top Go down
Natalie

Female

PostSubject: Gastric Banding gone wrong.   Sat 13 Mar 2010, 4:00 pm

Hi.
I went in to get the Gastric Banding done on the 12/3/10. But unfortunately my spleen is pushed up too close the my stomach, which prevented my surgeons doing the operation. Apparently it happens to 3 in 1000 people. (lucky me)
I am considering Sleeving. But it seems so drastic.
It is really quite depressing for me. As i have all the scars and pain from the operation, but no banding.
I had made all theses plans for after i had the band, but its all gone to hell.

If anyone has any advice for me i would be very appreciative.

Thanks.
Natalie.
Back to top Go down

Gastric Banding gone wrong.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  ::  :: -