AuthorMessage
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Tue 03 Jun 2008, 5:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is a site that I have found and feel it could be benifical for slevers as myself just follow the link As we all should know this op was 1st preformed on stomach cancer patients, Of cause when it talks of eating as much as possible this is not recommended for us trying to lose weight.
http://www.gisurgeon.com.au/pdf/gastrectomyinfosheet.doc

this nexxt one is about younger patients having this type of surgery.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=27&ContentID=22920

For those who do not know The Dr that did my op made a pouch instead of a sleeve and I am having problems, with the shape ,I feel at this time, But I am trying to find any info on the shape I have and so far have found zilch. 1 dr has written back to me and said that That to get the shape that I was given ( stomach0 it means that I should have a bypass to eliminate the problems I am having. Great NOT :pale: That is not what I wanted in the begining , but wow if it stops me feeling this poo poo house I am concidering it. If any one finds anything that might be benifical to me please email me and send me the link hansdale@alwaysonline.net.au

give em a :lol!: plug 30gigs for $30.00 a month not bad. and while your saving $$$$ try engin.com.au for a voip phone $15.00 a month and free local and long distance calls mobiles 22 min not bad ..must have broadband to get a voip phone.

thanks everyone
Fadding Aaway
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Kaili
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-16

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sat 23 Aug 2008, 6:35 pm

Thanks apple.

I was a bit confused about the whole thing.

I had to go into my back surgery completely naked (except for the gown) and stay that way for at least 3 days after so that kind of thing really doesn't bother me. :)
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sat 23 Aug 2008, 6:32 pm

Kali if you can comfotably lie around in bra's with under wire then it will not be a problem. You will not be allowed to wear a bra at all under your gown for surgery. After that it is what makes your comfortable.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sat 23 Aug 2008, 4:52 pm

Does it HAVE to be wire free? :)

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sat 23 Aug 2008, 4:44 pm

twin pack of sports bra if you do not have them from Big W they where about $15 for the pair. I had no problems wearing them :) OH but I had none on for the first 48 hours as I was in a hospital gown.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sat 23 Aug 2008, 4:25 pm

i was in a hospital gown for the most part of my stay and i did not wear a bra either.....but i did feel a bit funny without one. Im guessing that a sports bra or a bra with no wire is more for comfort than anything else. Although one of my little scars is at the top of my tummy not far from the bottom of my bra.

Nicole
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sat 23 Aug 2008, 4:22 pm

Sorry, Kaili, don't know - I didn't wear a bra in hospital or going home, that's for sure!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sat 23 Aug 2008, 3:59 pm

This one's a silly questions for the girls...

I was going through the list of items to take to hospital and most of them I understood, but I'm a bit confused by:

Sports top/bra or bra with no wire

Um, why? :)

Thanks!

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
liquefiedstars

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Fri 25 Jul 2008, 9:25 am

Quote :
You can also access yours or partners superanuation and pay for it if you have sufficent funds the cost is around $15,000 and have no wait

I am looking into doing this at the moment. If you do go down the road of super you also have to factor in 21.5% tax on top of it. You also should be aware that the money is considered income so may affect family tax benefits ect.

I am asking for nearly $19,000. :affraid:

Cinni
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Thu 24 Jul 2008, 2:46 pm

ooooooops i said week when I meant month my bad :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Thu 24 Jul 2008, 4:20 am

basic hospital that will cover this op is about $60 a month.12month wait for this op
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Thu 24 Jul 2008, 12:36 am

Sorry I just noticed you are in Melbourne, stupid me. From what I understand there is currently no public health system for sleeves and the wait for bands is many many years in excess of 3. The best person to actually talk to about the public system there is actually Pyretta on the yahoo bandits msg board. I am so not chasing you away from here, you are more than welcome. I just know that it is very hard going though the public system over there and that she has jumped though all the hoops to do it so best getting the best info you can. The only way around this is to take out private health cover for a year at what I said around $50 per week then pay the gap for the surgery which in melbourne is around $5,000. Melbourne people will have a more correct price for you. You can apply to yours or your partners superanuation for that gap so you end up with no immediate out of pocket expenses beyond the $600 you have paid for health cover.
Now the info I have given you here is just bits I have been told for 100% acurate figures you will as I said have to speak to somebody who is in Melbourne itself.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Thu 24 Jul 2008, 12:29 am

If you mean can you have surgery as a public patient, it depends on where you live to how long you will have to wait. It can be many many many years on the east coast. Here in Perth it might be as fast as 1 year, BUT that is no guarantee it could be a lot longer. Bunbury is the only one with a wait less than 6 months and you must live in a very strict postcode to get on their wait list.
We do tho have an option here in Perth of a sugeon who charges no gap so you can take out single health cover and be covered in 12 months time at about $50 per month. so around $600.

You can also access yours or partners superanuation and pay for it if you have sufficent funds the cost is around $15,000 and have no wait.

Pregnancy after any weight loss surgery is not advised for at least 1 year. not because it would be harmful to your or a baby but because it would dramaticly interfer in your weight loss. Depending on the surgeon and how much weight you have to lose he may recomend you wait 18 months to 2 years if it is a really large amount of weight you have to lose.

any more questions ask away, as it is a bit difficult to answer the questions on cost and public patient treatment not knowing where you are.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
enfinsusie

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Wed 23 Jul 2008, 11:30 pm

you won't be able to eat lot of food with the lapband too and you have to eat a small portion really rapidly for being full. But it's not defenitive way.

Here, in Canada, we have to wait for a sleeve but it's free. For having a baby, it's a good thing, because you lose weight so it,s easier to fall pregnant but you may have to take vitamins.

Good luck with your Lapband, many have a good succes with this. Each surgery depends on what we want. If you are affraid of not eating to much, you have to respect what you think. I think whit what i heard before that we are not hungry after this surgery but we all know that with obesity, being hungry is sometime psychological.

Have a nice day! :sunny:
Back to top Go down
senna1976

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Considering the Sleeve   Wed 23 Jul 2008, 11:17 pm

I had decided to get Lap Band however then I found out about the sleeve which IMO sounds so much better. I hated the thought of not being able to eat a lot of foods and worried that I would be vomitting all of the time. I just have a couple of qestions though if anyone would be able to answer them for me.

1) Can you get the sleeve without private health insurence and any idea of the costs involved?

2) Is there a waiting period?

3) I would like to have another baby in the nearish future, would this be a problem?

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 6:41 pm

I tend to chew gum most days - I feel that I have bad breath, but my husband is notoriously bad at noticing odours! LOL I know, he's weird!
When I was first done at the hospital, however, I asked if I could chew gum and they said to wait and ask the doc - which I forgot to do, so didn't have it until I got home.
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 6:36 pm

Can you chew sugar free gum to help with the bad breath and furry tongue. I have issues with my teeth anyway, but don't want to have even worse breath.

Lynette
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 11:50 am

Hi
I have a sleeve also but would have a mini bypass, thats where only 12" of small intestine is removed along with the 3/4 of your stomach . Vitamins will be a part of your life either way..bypass, mini bypass or sleeve. A by pass or the roux is drastic ,the mini I feel is not so drastic. it works almost the same as by pass but some nutrients are absorbed , you have the same size stomach as in the sleeve op.
I hope this has been some help
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 8:16 am

Hi enfinsusie
I agree with bigbugger.
I had my sleeve 4 weeks ago, so it's only early days, but I'm still happy with the decision I made.
Also, the sleeve can easily be converted into the bypass at a later stage, if you choose. This may be an option for you (for me it wasn't - could only afford the one attempt).
Do your research, listen to what others have to say, read up on the forum, and ask questions. Take your time and make your decision, and if you have trouble with the language, don't be afraid to ask those questions too.
Good luck!
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
bigbugger71

Female
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 6:43 am

Hello enfinsusie
The reason why I chose a sleeve gastrectomy is because with a lap bad there are to many long term possible complications. I didnt want to have a bypass because it seemed too drastic, it was the vitamins for life, hair loss, and the after effects of eating something sweet, i think they call it dumping. All of this put me in favour of the sleeve. Reading this forum has made me even more convinced that I am making the right decision, my operation is saturday! I am looking forward to eating properly and not over eating, enjoying my food and not being the person at a table who most resembles a hoover! As I have not had the op now, my reasons may be wrong! But after listening to people and particularly the doctor, I know this is the right decision. The Doc also told me that the results people he has operated on have from the bypass are as good as with the sleeve. So I am all for the sleeve!
hope you find your decision easy to make

:star:
Back to top Go down
enfinsusie

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: I am waiting for a sleeve, and i have questions   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 5:59 am

I hesitate betweem the bypass and the sleeve vertical gastrectomy. I would like that people who had this surgery tolkd me if they lose thein overweight and what to do for the succes of the intervention. I was supoosed to have my surgery july11 but they postposned and i am so deceive. I don't have a new date, i just know that i am first on list.
I don't speak english very well, i try to improve my english but i understand almost everything.
I would appeciate your support.
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Mon 21 Jul 2008, 3:42 am

I stayed 3 nights , should of stayed longer or been given pain meds to take home with me.
3 nights will be ok if there are no problems , I am not trying to scare you but they sometimes happen
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 3:20 pm

On the west coast they tend to be more cautious than the east. I had 5 nights in the male of the species 4 nights in, but seriously I was ready to come home day 3 he was ready day 2 with no problems at all. If youhave somebody to wait on you and a comfortable bed I can see no problem coming home after 3 nights . Just see how you go :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nevergiveup

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 1:49 pm

Hi Cinni,
I was in hospital for only two nights - they sent me home after that because I "looked too healthy to be in hospital" - that's what the ward doctor said anyway :lol:
It really will depend on how the surgery goes and how well you bounce back after it.
Pam
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 1:21 pm

oh thanks apple.........it least its for a good reason :lol!:

Nicole :sunny:
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 12:54 pm

hi cinni,

I was in for 4 nights....but i would of been able to come out after 3 i think.......but had private cover so i thought what the heck

nicole :sunny:
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   Sun 20 Jul 2008, 11:05 am

Hi Cinni, it really depends on how you come out of the surgery although I had the hiatus hernia repair and sleeve and had a few complications but I was still only in 3 nights. My surgeon asked me if I was sure I wanted to go home when I did and was happy for me to stay another night but I wasn't able to get a lift home next day and besides I couldn't wait to get back to my own bed.

steph
Back to top Go down

The Questions Thread-Ask Here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: