Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   Fri 13 Jun 2008, 7:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
oldfart

Male
Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 07 Aug 2008, 1:20 am

Kick start is the same as kate Morgan and Tony Ferguesons and not a complete food as it only replaces two meals a day and not three like optifast and optislim do.

http://www.kicstart.com.au/healthy_weight_wheel/kicstart_your_health.asp

What is KicStart™ VLCD
KicStart™ VLCD is a unique, high quality nutritionally complete VLCD meal replacement that has been developed, manufactured and packaged in Australia using the most up-to-date technology and ingredients currently available.

The premium KicStart™ VLCD formula:

contains a unique combination of dairy proteins to satisfy your hunger and protect muscle mass while you are losing weight
is rich in fibre to help keep you feeling satisfied for longer, reduce cholesterol absorption and reduce the risk of constipation
contains omega 3 and omega 6, which are important for heart health
contains a range of 26 vitamins, minerals and trace elements for a healthy heart is low in sugar to help regulate blood sugars
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-05

PostSubject: It just makes you wonder   Thu 07 Aug 2008, 12:58 am

Obriously they can't all be right....

I mean they are also doing basically the same surgery, and everyone of us has had markedly different preop instructions- Mine is 8 days of 2 meal a day Slimfast- small dinner, and then 2 days of just clear liquid.

Weird, very, very weird :97655443: :97655443: :97655443:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Tue 05 Aug 2008, 8:30 pm

Ditto for me!
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Tue 05 Aug 2008, 8:29 pm

The only thing I have heard about Kate Morgan is the ads on tv. I haven't heard of Kick Start at all.

steph
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Tue 05 Aug 2008, 7:26 pm

hi lynette,

I think that they are similar to TF shakes.....optifast are a bit lower in sugar and fat i think
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Tue 05 Aug 2008, 2:00 pm

Hi all

I just got given a box of Kate Morgan's meal replacement. Has anybody heard about this product and how does it compare to Tony Ferguson or Optifast? Just quickly reading through some of the info I am gathering that it is meal replacement for breakfast and lunch then eating from selected food groups for dinner.
Back to top Go down
oldfart

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Tue 05 Aug 2008, 12:38 am

I have just looked back through my dieticians leaflets and it says to start 2 weeks prior to the operation date so I guess 14 days for Dr P's patients
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 04 Aug 2008, 8:11 pm

Captain Legless, what a good memory you have LOL.

steph
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 03 Aug 2008, 1:57 pm

Hi Chezandy,

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage as you said you haven't got your date yet.
Once you do get a date for surgery I'm sure you will find it a little easier to stick witht he Optifast as it all will become a little more real then.

Good luck,
steph
Back to top Go down
chezandy

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: slipping up on optifast   Sun 03 Aug 2008, 1:30 pm

I just cant seem to stick to just the optifast and vegetables. I have started the optifast diet early. So does it matter if I slip up, last night I had a bowl of hot chips and today I am feeling guilty and wondering if my liver will be shrunk enough for the operation if i cant stop cheating on the optifast. Is it only 10 days before the operation that you are suppose to be on optifast? I am weeks away from even getting a date for my operation.
Back to top Go down
oldfart

Male

PostSubject: Opti Slim   Sat 02 Aug 2008, 4:21 pm

Code:
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
The OptiSlim2000 VLCD Shake is designed to be taken in place of breakfast, lunch and dinner. Each sachet is to be mixed with 200ml of cold water. Blend or shake to dissolve. Drink immediately.

Optislim appears to be exactly the same as optifast and is used to replace all three meals. They also have deserts as well. And at the moment as Clive said they are 3 boxes for the price of two @ $49.95 per box http://www.optislim.com.au/modules/mastop_publish/?tac=1 ........

or $29.95 per box plus $6 post at http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au./product_search_results.aspx?wildcard=1&ctl00%24GlobalSearch1%24st=9&sv=optislim
Back to top Go down
sallyanne

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 27 Jul 2008, 11:01 am

thanks for that
i am just worried cause the surgeon said the pre op diet was to shrink the liver and i just worry that cause i have slipped up a couple of times it wont be shrunk enough.
my hubby is cooking a slap up meal with wine and works tonight for my last supper (even though op is not til thurs) so if i have a glass of wine or two and a nice meal (not a high fat one he is cooking a healthy one) i should still leave me four days to drink plenty of water to help liver i think. (just trying to convince myself)
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 26 Jul 2008, 6:56 pm

hi sallyanne,

Dont worry i think that most of could say that we had a slip up while on opti. I went out for diiner to chinese and had what i called my last supper....fried icecream and all and the day before surgery i went outt and had lunch, i had a hot beef roll and a ouple of chips. :D :D :D

So as long as you stick to it most of the time im sure you will have no problems.

Nicole :sunny:
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 25 Jul 2008, 7:41 pm

Hey Sallyanne,
Don't beat yourself up about it. I didn't even have to go on Optifast before the operation (some people don't have to), and mine went just fine, so a few slip ups here and there shouldn't do you too much harm. Hang in there!
Back to top Go down
sallyanne

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 25 Jul 2008, 7:34 pm

hi
i am on the optifast pre op diet for the 2 weeks before my sleeve surgery and am having a really hard time sticking to it.
i get really hungry and i also am craving things like bread and Alcohol
so i have blown it a couple of times
has any one else been as weak as me
Back to top Go down
liquefiedstars

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 25 Jul 2008, 9:48 am

Do you think if you replaced Optifast with Tony Ferguson for the whole three meals you would lose as much weight as you would on Opti?

Cinni
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 24 Jul 2008, 2:08 am

Captain Legless a quick phone call to your surgeon or dietican will give you that answer. some let you substitute in other brands, some are very strict and want you to do optifast only. The reason behind the optifast is that is the ONLY complete as in 3 meals a day replacement out there that has had all the aprovals done. Now some surgeons think using a meal replacment designed for 2 meals a day for 3 meals a day when it is such a short term thing as being fine. Others are just very fussy. Optislim like Tony Ferguson a very popular one with most people is only designed to replace 2 meals a day rather than the 3 optifast is designed for. You are right tho there is very little difference when you read the packets tho.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
enfinsusie

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 23 Jul 2008, 11:37 pm

Here we can take Optifast, or a meal remplacement with Beneprotein because in Slimfast or Boost it seems to be less protein than with Optifast.

Bad thing like Optifast are going all around the world, :lol: Optifast is supposed to be a more complete food with all vitamins and protein that we need.

Something good to know, vanilla Optifast with almond essence and a little bit of Splenda is really good. I think that with vanill, we can play with essences to have a "good" meal. :shock:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 23 Jul 2008, 4:29 am

Hey asnewme1
I was told that it didn't matter what brand I used, as long as it said "complete meal replacement".
There are a lot of shakes around, but they aren't all the same - look for the magic words and you should be okay.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 31 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: