Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   Fri 13 Jun 2008, 7:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
suzie77

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-07-13

PostSubject: How long did you do pre-op Optifast and how much did you lose?   Sun 20 Apr 2014, 12:18 am

I have surgery in 14 weeks and I am thinking about starting optifast now.  I will do it for as long as I can hack it and then transition to the maintence phase for the remainder of time until my surgery.  How long did everyone else do it?  Was anyone else super keen and started early?
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 19 Apr 2014, 11:56 pm

I think my BMI is 44. I'm see a dietician on Wednesday.  Looking forward to that.  Just don't want to sabotage myself
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 19 Apr 2014, 11:21 pm

Did you see a dietician? Some of us do get to have a little extra protein during this stage. I was allowed, but my starting BMI was about 60, so that was why my dietician gave me the go ahead. I was also allowed 3-4 serves of Opti per day.
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 19 Apr 2014, 11:05 pm

Thanks for your reply Wenchiepooh! I was beginning to lose hope. It seems like everyone has lost weight on the pre op diet.  

Should I be eating protein? That's one thing I was wondering.  The optifast leaflet in the box just says 2 cup veg and 1 tbsp oil with the 3 x opti.  My surgeon and receptionist are on hols for Easter so I can't ask them until Tuesday.

Any advice appreciated :)
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 19 Apr 2014, 10:33 pm

Neens.. never fear!! Don't forget, this part isn't about losing weight, it's about getting your liver small and supple enough for the surgery. Any weight you do lose is just a bonus. If you're doing everything right, then you'll be fine.

I didn't get any of the usual signs that my body had gone into ketosis. No headaches, no hangries, no gorilla breath, nothing at all.
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Am I doing something wrong?   Sat 19 Apr 2014, 8:48 pm

Hi!

I'm on day 6 of my 14 day pre op diet and I'm not going too badly on the optifast.  The only thing is I've only lost 1.4 kgs and my clothes don't feel any looser.
I Thought the weight would have been falling off since I'm not eating anywhere near the calories I would normally have in a day! What am I doing wrong?

I have a shake for breakfast, a shake or bar for lunch (some days with salad consisting of spinach, lettuce, cabbage, carrot) and a shake for dinner with a cup of veggies 
If I don't have salad at lunch I'll have 2 cups of the allowed veggies.
I'm drinking my water and have not cheated at all! (Cannot believe how strong I'm being!!!). 
I'm shitting myself that I won't go into ketosis and my liver won't shrink and I'll wake up to the surgeon telling me he couldn't do the op! Eeeeeeeeeeeek!
Help me! I've got a week to get this right
Back to top Go down
MellLS71

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-03-09

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 09 Mar 2014, 7:58 pm

I've actually been easing myself into it as I'm due to start the two week VCLD diet on March 13th. So far I've inadvertantly lost 5kg and have found the resulting extra energy really addictive! The ALDI benefit shakes are by far the nicest in taste and texture however they're not on my surgeon's list of shakes, so I'll be asking the dietitian on Thursday if they're OK. The hardest part I've found is the low carb veggies. 1 teaspoon of oil won't really do well with uncooked mushrooms as they absorb it completely, leaving nothing for onion, zucchini and garlic (I love Italian food, what can I say?). I tested out my olive oil spray today however and a decent 2-4 second blast = about 1tsp, so I need to think of another way to cook these veggies.......any suggestions? I bought a thermomix style cooker a few weeks ago and did a wonderful consomme(chicken or beef - store bought, but bonox would work too I guess) with shredded zucchini, onion and carrot (I realise this will be on the banned list and will be replaced with mushroom, bok choy, and broccoli), with a hint of Chinese 5 spice. two tiny drops of seasame oil, garlic and a little soy sauce and turned it into a veggie based long soup - which was super tasty!!!!!

Tomato soup seems to be my only other veggie based desire with the Celebrity slim bars (choc/caramel crunch is quite nice) and a variety of shakes - ALDI Benefit, Tony Ferguson, Optislim & Celebrity Slim!

Heading towards my April 8th operation..........hopefully I'll learn some more from other Gastric Sleeve participants!
Back to top Go down
Wombo55

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:10 pm

Thank you swayback. I am due to start Optifast next Thurs the 20th, so thought it might be worthwhile easing myself into it. Will give it a go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:40 am

I started early (only a few days) but I'm glad I did because I found I couldn't tolerate them. I had vomiting and diarrhoea....I've since found out that I'm lactose intolerant...who knew?

Anyway, the dietitian changed me to a high protein diet instead. I could eat lean meat, eggs and allowed veges, which I restricted to broccoli and cauliflower. No carbs at all and no dairy. I lost 8 kgs on this in two weeks pre op. It must have shrunk my liver enough because the surgeon didn't comment afterwards.

It was pretty easy living on steak, eggs and steamed veges. I would have liked some gravy or sauce but I had it better than most people so I can't complain.
Back to top Go down
Wombo55

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:30 am

Did any of you gradually start using Optifast before the pre-op VLCD period? That is did you start by replacing one or 2 meals gradually so that you didn't get quite as big a shock to the system? Or do you need to suddenly go the 3 meals a day replacement for the ketosis to work properly?
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-01-13

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 03 Feb 2014, 2:51 pm

Hi, I'm back home from opp and catching up from lack of sleep in hospital. Jimbob hope your bruising pain improves quickly for you. I found that the experience was probably worse than I imagined. My doctor was there every day, great communication. On drip for fluids, pain plus panadol. Intravenous antibiotics , anti nausea Meds, nexium. We (6 operated on the same day) were also given Hepron injections morning and night for blood cloths. I was on oxygen for a few days as my levels were not up to a good level.

Best of luck with opti everyone, after a few days it gets easier and the veg and salad really helped.
Back to top Go down
Miss Krys

Female
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 31 Jan 2014, 11:41 pm

Jimbob wrote:
Hi Miss Krys ,at home now & having a Sustagen tetra slowly . I had a bit of a complication bruising my ribs black & blue  from op but I had bruised badly several years ago from appendix op . . Managing pain ok . Just have to be patient with everything pre op & post op . I found stir fry before op was good with soy sauce mixed in . Good luck Krys
OMG you poor thing! You must be in a lot of pain. What did they do jump on top to do the op 😜
Where did you get done?
Yes soy makes it so much nicer
Back to top Go down
Jimbob

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-01-22

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 31 Jan 2014, 10:57 pm

Hi Miss Krys ,at home now & having a Sustagen tetra slowly . I had a bit of a complication bruising my ribs black & blue from op but I had bruised badly several years ago from appendix op . . Managing pain ok . Just have to be patient with everything pre op & post op . I found stir fry before op was good with soy sauce mixed in . Good luck Krys
Back to top Go down
Miss Krys

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 31 Jan 2014, 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone I now have no excuse but I have to say I am sooo hungry I just ate my stir fry veges YUM I must say.
It is only day 2 on opti so I suppose in a couple of days I will be all good.

How did it all go Jimbob and how are you feeling?
Back to top Go down
Jimbob

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 31 Jan 2014, 7:59 pm

I found lots of veggies such as Ratatouille is good . Miso soup with Shake for lunch . Shake for breakkie . Ratatouille for dinner . Or tomatoes & onions with Egg plants sliced & grilled .
Leaving hospital after 3 nights & 4 days .
Back to top Go down
Miss Krys

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

minniemouse wrote:
Hi Krys,

You have a cup of veggies for lunch ( I always had a fresh crunch salad) then another cup of vegies for dinner - this is where I did a stir fry and used the tsp of olive oil to fry the onion and garlic before I put the veggies with soy sauce in the pan.....and yes 3 shakes. 1 x brekkie, 1 x lunch and 1 x dinner.
I always tried to eat my veggies at dinner first then when I got hungry again later in the evening (around 8.30 or 9 ish ) I'd then have my shake which would fill me before bed an hour or so later.
I also tried to do that at lunch so I felt more full during the day - spread out the salad and the shake as much as possible.
Hope that helps

Thanks minniemouse!

Well I have missed veges at lunch but will do dinner.
Gees I love this site so many helpful people.
Thanks for the nice tip on stir fry dinner I will do that tonight 😊

Krys x
Back to top Go down
Miss Krys

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 30 Jan 2014, 6:02 pm

GeoffN wrote:
Get creative with the veggies too - no need for things to be bland, just low-cal

Try a few of these:-
 - Roast a big field mushroom and top with a little fresh pesto
 - Stir fry dark greens (Kale, Silverbeet, Chard, Spinach) with olive oil, chilli, garlic, anchovies (you can leave out the anchovies if you don't like them - but I melt them into the oil before adding anything else and they add great flavour)
 - Red cabbage wilted in a closed saucepan with a little red wine vinegar
 - Roast cauliflower florets with a little olive oil, lemon juice and tiny bit of parmesan

Wow thanks GeoffN!!

Look at you quite the little chef, I would never even thought of any of that!!
Now things are looking up and a lot more yummier 😊
Back to top Go down
GeoffN

Male
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-11-21

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 30 Jan 2014, 5:49 pm

Get creative with the veggies too - no need for things to be bland, just low-cal

Try a few of these:-
 - Roast a big field mushroom and top with a little fresh pesto
 - Stir fry dark greens (Kale, Silverbeet, Chard, Spinach) with olive oil, chilli, garlic, anchovies (you can leave out the anchovies if you don't like them - but I melt them into the oil before adding anything else and they add great flavour)
 - Red cabbage wilted in a closed saucepan with a little red wine vinegar
 - Roast cauliflower florets with a little olive oil, lemon juice and tiny bit of parmesan
Back to top Go down
minniemouse

Female
Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 30 Jan 2014, 5:27 pm

Hi Krys,

You have a cup of veggies for lunch ( I always had a fresh crunch salad) then another cup of vegies for dinner - this is where I did a stir fry and used the tsp of olive oil to fry the onion and garlic before I put the veggies with soy sauce in the pan.....and yes 3 shakes. 1 x brekkie, 1 x lunch and 1 x dinner.
I always tried to eat my veggies at dinner first then when I got hungry again later in the evening (around 8.30 or 9 ish ) I'd then have my shake which would fill me before bed an hour or so later.
I also tried to do that at lunch so I felt more full during the day - spread out the salad and the shake as much as possible.
Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
Miss Krys

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 30 Jan 2014, 5:16 pm

I started day 1 of Opti today and not seeing dietician until next week. Can anyone please tell me do you have to have the veges as well or just the shakes.
I thought 3 shakes 1 cup of vegetables and tsp of olive oil??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Krys
Back to top Go down
Jimbob

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:36 pm

Tomorrow is the day for my Gastric Sleeve. In the afternoon . Fast from 6.30am. Ready for it . Interesting to see my weight. Lost 8.3 kg in first 8days of diet & haven't weighed myself since & that was 6 days ago .
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 27 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

Hi, wow you have done amazingly well compared to my 4.2 kg day 14, don't know what I am doing wrong, maybe it is just that we are all different. The headaches haven't been a problem after all, I have stoped coffee, couldn't stand the black coffee.

Best wishes for the 31st, not long now, haven't been nervous yet have you, will set in anytime now.

Best wishes Jimbob for tomorrow, how are the clear fluids and Picoprep going... Fun I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Ottopia
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

PostSubject: Good Luck for the 29th   Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:20 pm

Good luck with the 29th Scotty, I am scheduled for my sleeve on the 31st so am in prep as well. I found if I don't have the veges the headaches set in. Day 11 for prep and I have lost 8 kgs
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 23 Jan 2014, 6:39 pm

Oh! That's good to know it helps to hear the good stories, not the bad
Back to top Go down
Jimbob

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 23 Jan 2014, 1:18 am

Good luck Scotty with op & post op . My wife had the gastric sleeve 18months ago and great success .
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 22 Jan 2014, 11:49 pm

Yes surfers is fun but wears you out. Food was my enemy this time as I was doing pre-p.

Your opp must be the 28 mine the next day 29. Best of luck with the opp etc. and best wishes with post opp. . I'm not feeling nervous at all, hope that is good, bit excited really. I will be glad when this stage is over. I am having a hiatus hernia repaired at the same time, so I will be 3 nights.

Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: