Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   Fri 13 Jun 2008, 7:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 7:18 pm

Apple's right - diet jelly is a great one. Not only does it help fill your tummy up, but it also adds to your fluid intake.
Good luck!
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 6:15 pm

Try a stock cube in boilking water, low salt ones are best. some diet jelly, nibble a celery stick, and the hated one drink more more water. You can not eat when going to the bathroom every 2 minutes is why I think they tell you that *joke* ehehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 4:12 pm

Maybe you could add some Tony Ferguson snacks to your diet (but check with your dietitian first), provided that you don't overdo it. And are you supposed to have vegies/salad with lunch as well, which might help?

I started pre-op diet today but I'm not using Optifast (it is optional for me anyway, thank goodness). I was given a whole box of Kate Morgan shakes and last night I stocked up on Tony Ferguson soups and a few snacks and sweets. So I had Kate Morgan (butterscotch) for breakfast and mushroom soup for lunch, and yes I'm actually hungry and it is only 2pm. So thought I would try a few pieces of TF chocolate from the small chocolate bar and they're not bad. No added suger and low carb low GI. But Each piece has 14cals, so don't have too many. They also have jellies, so maybe they're better ie more filling.

Not sure how I am going to stick on this for the next two weeks.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 4:06 pm

Well, I hate to tell you Kaili, but you'll always feel a little hungry while on Optifast.
Yes, the first four days are the hardest, but that doesn't mean that it's a breeze afterwards.
Are you having your allowed veggies? I found that was a must.
Keep on going - you're half way there, and then it's over.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-16

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 22 Aug 2008, 2:09 pm

Seeing as there isn't actually much on this page about Optifast, I thought I might post this question here (I hope that's okay Hayley! :) )

I'm on Optifast at the moment and I'm just finishing up my first week on it. I was told that the first four days would be the worse and then after that everything should start to settle down. (I'm even getting used to the flavour!)

However, I'm still finding I'm hungry during the day. Did anyone else have this problem or am I just weird? :P

I'm drinking at least 2L of water etc per day, so I know that isn't the issue.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. :)
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 11 Aug 2008, 3:00 pm

You are tired, aren't you? Got your message 3 times! LOL
Go rest!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 11 Aug 2008, 2:58 pm

Thanks, I will try that. I went back to work today for the 1st time since surgery. I am so very tired I can't be bothered moving. I am on strike tonight. Not cooking. Its get your own night tonight or go hungry.

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

Thanks, I will try that. I went back to work today for the 1st time since surgery. I am so very tired I can't be bothered moving. I am on strike tonight. Not cooking. Its get your own night tonight or go hungry.

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 11 Aug 2008, 6:20 am

Oh, one more tip that I got off someone on this forum - sorry, can't remember who it was.
Try ice blocks. They increase your fluid intake, and are great if you're feeling like you want something to crunch on, or something sweet.
It's great while the weather is cold because it doesn't melt and gives you time to finish it okay. But in summer it will be a different story!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 11 Aug 2008, 3:54 am

I got the same problem. If I increase my liquids then I can't fit food in. I tried real hard today to drink more and got through just over 1 litre. But then ate very little. Hard to win aye.

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 8:58 pm

Sorry Clive, I was replying to Kiwi.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:32 pm

Actually I'd be lucky if I have drunk 500ml today. My meals have filled me up for so long that I haven't been able to drink.

steph
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:32 pm

I have de-caf black coffee....and i was told that it counted towards my fluid intake. I was told anything that is a clear fluid ( not milky etc) is counted.
I also drink about 800 ml of watered down juice or weak cordial. So that plus my coffees im drinking about 1.5 lt
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 7:25 pm

Ah yes, that's the question, isn't it? What we should have and what we do have are two different things!
I haven't actually measured since the second week when I was able to drink a cup of tea okay.
I drink decaf, so it's counted. And I have at least 4 small mugs of tea a day - I just went and measured, and they're approx. 1 cup each, so that's 1L minimum - sometimes up to 6. (I used to drink about 12 a day.) If I've been drinking a lot, I allow myself an earl gray or lemon tea!
I usually have a little juice, but probably only about 1/2 cup a day.
And I often have some flat lemonade - probably another 1 cup a day.
Occasionally I'll have a cappuccino, but that's not counted. And occasionally I'll have a little milk, but I usually count that as dairy and don't rely on it for my fluid intake.
So all up, I'm guessing it's around 1.5L. Don't tell my hubby - I'm trying to get him to drink more!
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 1:52 pm

Hi Kiwi,

I drink about a litre a day.

steph
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 1:09 pm

Chris and Steph how much do you actually drink in a day? Just curious.

Kiwi
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 12:28 pm

Actually, the 2L was in response to the Optifast question, I think, not post surgery.
Although the kidney doc that my hubby sees tells me that we should all drink 2L a day anyway - he wants hubby to drink up to 3L, but that's never going to happen!
I couldn't drink cappuccinos at first after surgery, but I can have them again now - yay! I do have the skinny ones, though, and don't do it every day.
Yeah, I think our tastes do change a little, but that's a minor thing in the scheme of things, to me anyway. And so far it's all good - imagine being able to say no to chocolate - it's amazing!

Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 10:19 am

Hi Kiwi,

I think we have all developed different tastes in one way or another. I can't stand coffee now and I really miss going to the kitchen at work and killing time making a cuppa and having a chat in the kitchen. Although I have had 1 cappucino in a cafe and that was quite nice.

I actually think there is a thread here somewhere for taste changes.

steph
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 9:47 am

Hi Chris, there is no way that I can get through 2 litres of fluid in a day. I would be struggling to have 1 litre. I don't feel like I am dehydrated. Before surgery I drank copious amounts of tea. I don't understand why, but now I can't stand the taste of it. I can manage to drink a de-cafe tea. The other thing that I can't stand the taste of since surgery is toothpaste. My sense of smell and taste seems to have really heightened since op. Really bizarre aye.

Karen
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 10 Aug 2008, 6:48 am

Oh, okay, sorry guys. Let me see if I can make it clearer.
1. You have your optifast, which is not counted in your fluid intake.
2. You have to have 2 litres of allowed fluids a day.
3. You can have tea and coffee, but unless it's de-caf tea, it's not an allowed fluid.
4. You can have non-allowed fluids, but it's not counted in your 2 litres.
Is that better?
Chris
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 09 Aug 2008, 7:04 pm

Yah, you lost me too Chris...
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 09 Aug 2008, 6:24 pm

Yes, tea and coffee are okay.
But you have to make sure you have your 2 litres of fluids a day, caffeine free, as well.
Decaf tea is counted, but not normal tea or any coffee.
And you're not supposed to have milk in them either - although my doc said he'd let me!
Probably others have been told different - we usually all get a little bit of a difference.
Chris
Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 30 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: