Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   Fri 13 Jun 2008, 7:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
kexster

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-11-14

PostSubject: opti   Fri 13 Dec 2013, 1:39 pm

Some people add essences.     Mint or    orange  to the choc  for example.

I find having heaps of ice, preferably crushed makes an amazing difference to  drinking the liquids.
Back to top Go down
Waiting4mymoment

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-09-10

PostSubject: Random opti question...   Fri 13 Dec 2013, 1:16 pm

Can you mix/blend opti with anything else to add to flavours? Or does that defeat the purpose of having low calories shake?

And what I mean is say adding a banana or couple of strawberries.. :)
Back to top Go down
cawolfy

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-04

PostSubject: Chocolate dessert   Sat 07 Dec 2013, 8:04 pm

Hi! If you haven't tried the optifast chocolate, you really must it is so good. I've just finished my first one!
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 06 Dec 2013, 10:54 pm

Blueprint, I had optislim for my pre op diet as it was much cheaper. I checked with the dietician and they said it was fine, or toni ferguson and a few others were ok too. I did well on the opitslim. My dietician said definately NO to milk in tea or coffee because it may interfere with the ketosis process... (i don't believe her but i did what she said anyway, tea and coffee without milk should be listed as a criminal offence I reckon!)
If you can't tolerate opti though, like you, Sway, there should be a 'normal' food diet you can stick to so you can have similar nutrition and calories. Sway, would it be better if you had the bars for every meal, forget about the shakes? That would still work. 
I did 'cheat' a few meals at night and had grilled chicken with garlic as well as my allowed veges instead of opti.  I had no dramas with surgery and lost 10kg prior to surgery.
Snoop, nights were hardest for me too - i made sure that my 'dinner' was a optifast chocolate bar, cold and chewy with a cuppa. Much better than the shake and satisfied me for the evening. I would eat my veges at dinner time, then indulge on the bar before bedtime.
 The first 3 days opti feel impossible  - I physically felt the withdrawal from calories in my body, couldn't sleep, bad headaches, felt like ants attacking every fat cell!! etc. By the 4th day it settles a bit and the awful symptoms and hunger fade away as you adjust to ketosis. The good thing is, opti is not forever, so you can do it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 06 Dec 2013, 5:33 pm

That sounds perfectly healthy to me. Have you got a dietitian you can ring to check?
Back to top Go down
SnoopX

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 06 Dec 2013, 5:19 pm

OK...  Do you think it's OK if I substitute vegies for dinner with a tuna salad?  I am having lots of trouble at dinner time during the optifast phase :(
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 05 Dec 2013, 5:48 pm

If you can chew the chicken the hospital sent me for lunch at 4pm....you can have my meal.

One piece of extremely dry chicken (all stringy and was meant to be hot but was room temp), a tablespoon of shredded lettuce and six slices of cucumber. 

I ate the cucumber and a mouthful each of the lettuce and chicken. I'm REALLY!!! hungry but I couldn't force it down. I simply couldn't chew the chicken it was like trying to chew leather and I didn't get the size I am because I'm picky about the quality of my food.....this was just horrendous.
Back to top Go down
SnoopX

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 05 Dec 2013, 4:48 pm

My first day on the Optifast pre op diet and I want to eat a horse.  I have a headache and I'm getting the shakes.  Oh well :)
Back to top Go down
blueprint101

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-11-16

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 05 Dec 2013, 3:45 pm

Optishit....... Ha ha I love it.

Sorry it didn't agree with you, it does taste like crap.  All the best with your journey Sway, let me know how you go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 05 Dec 2013, 3:16 pm

Blueprint I thought my problem would be wanting to cheat on the Opti but it turns out I just can't have it. It makes me vomit (and no way I wanted to eat anything, nausea to kill!) so after three days the dietitian gave me an alternative diet. In the meantime I lost 4 kgs in three days just trying to stick to the Opti and throwing it up.

It's now the beginning if day 5 pre op diet for me and I'm down 5kgs. So that really means 5kgs in 4 days really because I weighed early this am.

Good luck on the Opti, I had never tried it before and I sure as hell won't be having it again.

So I have a lot of Optishit at home that I can't use, what a waste of money.  Maybe after my op I will go to one of the get togethers and give it to a pre sleever.
Back to top Go down
blueprint101

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 05 Dec 2013, 2:36 pm

Thanks Swayback.
I thought there must be a difference.  Typical, of course it is the more expensive one that we need!

At least I don't have to miss out on coffee altogether.  I'm really worried about how I am going to go sticking to the opti, its gonna be tough!

I appreciate your response x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 05 Dec 2013, 2:30 pm

I think someone on this forum told me that Optifast is milk protein and Optislim is wheat protein. I think the dietitians are convinced that Optifast is better.

As for the tea and coffee, I was told I could have black tea and coffee....no milk or sugar. Seems weird when Optifast is milk protein!  I'm sure there must be a good reason.
Back to top Go down
blueprint101

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:30 pm

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knows if Optifast is the same as Optislim.  Optislim is about half the price!  Also are you guys drinking tea and coffee?  I like a splash of milk in my coffee and forgot to ask the dietician if this is ok?  I just started my Optifast this morning.

Thanks. xo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Feel sick   Mon 02 Dec 2013, 9:20 pm

I started Opti yesterday, have never had it before and don't like it.

However, I decided to treat it like a medicine I don't like. Mix it in a small amount of icy water and gulp it down, then follow it with something else like tea or chewing gum. 

I thought it was working but tonight it all came back up. At 6.30pm I threw up my lunchtime Opti!

Has this happened to any one else? I feel so much better now but know I still have to have my Opti bar because I have to eat with some tablets.

I hate nausea!!
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 13 Oct 2013, 8:29 am

cantikgal wrote:

Hi all so I'm due to start the optifast Monday but when I had an appointment with the dietician I told her my issue and the fact that I can't stomach the shakes and she offered me another diet thing that was 800 cal a day! Seems easy enough although I'm confused as a blonde that I am! It hasn't listed the fruits I can eat it has simply just given a sample ie small apple or small pear! I'm assuming this isn't all the fruit I'm allowed and I'm wondering as anyone else been given this diet or something similar for the pre op diet stage and if so what fruits can I eat? Thanks In advance!

Not sure if this will help or not.. this is what I got from my dietician..

A serve of fruit should contain around 50-70 calories 
and 10-15g of carbohydrate. A serve of fruit could be: 
one of – 200g strawberries, 4 lychees, 2 apricots, 200g 
cooked rhubarb, 2 slices of pineapple, 2-3 passionfruit, 
100g grapes, 1 small apple, 10 cherries, 1 small
orange, 1 peach, 1 small pear, 120g pear in natural 
juice, 120g plums or 3 prunes.

And I was told absolutely no banana or mango.. damnit.. my fave fruits!
Back to top Go down
cantikgal

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 13 Oct 2013, 8:20 am

Hi all so I'm due to start the optifast Monday but when I had an appointment with the dietician I told her my issue and the fact that I can't stomach the shakes and she offered me another diet thing that was 800 cal a day! Seems easy enough although I'm confused as a blonde that I am! It hasn't listed the fruits I can eat it has simply just given a sample ie small apple or small pear! I'm assuming this isn't all the fruit I'm allowed and I'm wondering as anyone else been given this diet or something similar for the pre op diet stage and if so what fruits can I eat? Thanks In advance!

Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-20

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 26 Sep 2013, 7:58 am

My BMI was 54 & both my surgeon & dietician said 2 weeks was enough. I feel like I've recovered really well from the op.
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 25 Sep 2013, 10:51 pm

Every one seems to have a slightly different pre-op plan.... I was first told to do optifast for two weeks only. I rang the surgery afterward and was told that if your BMI is under 50, then its two weeks, if over 50, then its four. My BMI just over 47. I saw the dietician yesterday, three weeks out,  and she said "oh, your op so soon, have you started opti - start NOW!" I mentioned I was told only two weeks, she said the last two weeks were crucial to adhere to, BUT I really would be far better off if i started opti NOW.  So today is my first day of 3 weeks.
Also, Opti slim and Opti fast -- can have either. Opti slim is wheat based protein, optifast is dairy i think. Optislim so much cheaper than optifast - the chemist warehouse has two boxes for $55. I bought the optislim shakes and optifast bars (had a berry one, very sweet, first ingredient is sucrose glucose or some heap of sugar -- i reckon i'd have less carbs eating my own darn food!)
I'm only allowed 3 opti meals per day plus two cups of 'allowed' veges with no calorie dressings (eg lemon juice, vinegar, spice etc) and two litres water.  Definately NO milk in my tea........so i will just take it a day at a time and know that it will all be all behind me soon.
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-20

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 21 Sep 2013, 7:41 am

I found day 4 & 5 the hardest of the preop OPtifast. I had really bad headaches, & felt really nauseas. After that it got easier & I got used to the taste. I had the soup each night so that it felt like I was still having a meal, because it was warm & took longer to drink than the shakes. There were days I was really hungry, but I just kept thinking this isn't for losing weight, this is to make sure my liver shrinks so that my surgery goes as easy & well as it can. I think that helped me stick to it.
I had my surgery last Thursday & I'm still having the Optifast everyday for breakfast & somedays lunch as well. I'm used to the taste now & I know they have all the vitamens & minerals I need to stay healthy. I'll probably take them to work when I go back as well. They are a bit pricey, but I was spending wayyy more on junk food before.
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 18 Sep 2013, 7:44 am

I'm on day 3 of 42, and I'm wondering, has anyone actually just breezed through this? Because it feels like I am, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong! I'm not eating as much as I'm allowed, dietician had me down for 3-4 opti per day, I'm only having two (breakfast and lunch), a piece fruit in the afternoon, then the allowed veggies and protein for dinner. 1-2 cups of tea per day with skim milk (taking that from my allowed dairy serve) plus loads of water, almost 3 litres per day.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 7:44 pm

you can do it. feel for you
Back to top Go down
rach815

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 6:33 pm

im day 5  of 14! ive gone pretty good all week, but now the weekend is here and our usual routine is pizza and alcohol saturday nights! i really feel like im going to cave, i had salad for dinner and now everyone else is having their dinner and the cravings wont go away!!!!! i know i wont cave ive waited over 12 months for this but omg its so hard and i needed to complain to ppl who know how im feeling lol
Back to top Go down
JMSI

Female
Registration date : 2013-09-13

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:56 pm

Im on Day 1 or 14 of the pre-op diet
im to replace all 3 meals with only optifast shakes, plus 2 cups of allowed vegies & 1 piece of fruit of morning&afternoon tea & Diet Jelly for supper.

Had a shake at 6am, the shake made me so thirsty. Had small pear at 9am. threw up at 11am because of hunger. 12pm had shake & 1cup of lettuce and capsicum. 2:30pm 6 strawberry’s.

I feel like crap, zero energy, can not concentrate, so tired.

is this normal / will it improve in a day or 2?
Back to top Go down
rach815

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:05 pm

Hi Soon2beslim,

I'm allowed 2 cups of veg/salad (no corn, potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, peas, parsnip, legumes or avocado)

Ive been having a shake for breakfast, a bar and cup of salad for lunch then a tony ferguson soup and cup of veg. Im only day 2 and struggled to get through my soup tonight.

yesterday my calorie intake was only 700 and something, family is a bit concerned its way to low (im using my fitness pal app to help me)

your ideas sound great thank you! waiting for my dietitian to call me thursday, at this rate i wont last! im so tired and the headaches are crazy! hoping the next 12 days fly!
Back to top Go down
soon2beslim

Female
Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 09 Sep 2013, 7:46 pm

Hi Rach815,

My dietician told me I was allowed 5 cups non-starchy veges per day (no carrots, corn, pumpkin, potato, sweet potato, peas or legumes - oh and no avocado).

I am also allowed soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chilli as well as herbs and spices but no oil to cook with.

I don't like mushrooms either!

So...I saute onions in a little water, then make it up to 5 cups with zucchini, broccoli and/or cauliflower, add some homemade vege stock and water, cook for 10 min, then puree into a creamy soup.

Also I have used cauliflower to make mock "rice" with some garlic soy stirfry veges, and a spirooli to make zucchini "spaghetti" with a onion, tomato, garlic and oregano sauce.

You could also make a ratatouille.

Then I spilt the final dish into two portions.  I usually have Opti at morning tea (bar or shake) and have the first portion of veges at lunch.  Then have the second portion of veges when my family is eating dinner (we eat around 5/6 because we have young children), followed by an Opti shake or soup around 8/9 (I usually get to bed around 10/11).  I find it easier having 5 smaller meals rather than 3.  Also I feel more like part of the family at dinner - having a real meal of veges rather than the chemical rich Opti.
Back to top Go down
rach815

Female

PostSubject: Soups   Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:07 pm

Hi guys! 

Day one of opti and I was going ok but now the hunger has hit. I'm vegetarian anyone got any good vege soups I can make? I don't like tofu or mushrooms! Also if I do homemade soup, how much is allowed? I wish I'd asked my dietician all this but it's stuff I didn't think of until now!! Also what's miso soup like? I've found a vege recipe for it. 

Thank you.
Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: