Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Optifast - the good, the bad and the ugly   Thu 12 Jun 2008, 10:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
I thought that I'd start a thread on Optifast, so those who still have this to look forward to can get all the info before they start.
Personally, I haven't tried other brands, although I've heard that you can use any "complete meal replacement". My doc just said Optifast, so that's what I've stuck to.
The cheapest place I have found to buy it, and also the place with the biggest range to choose from, is www.pharmacydirect.com.au. The postage is only $5.95 flat rate, and they usually send out very quickly.
There are the inevitable shakes, in 3 flavours - chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. The strawberry is much more expensive, but tastes heaps better than the others.
They also have a dessert, which is a mousse-like consistency. I've only had the chocolate, which isn't too bad, but I think they also do a lemon.
Then there are the crunchy bars - if you've had those weight watchers bars, they're a little like that. Not too bad at all, and when I'm super hungry, I've actually found myself considering having another one! LOL I've only had the berry crunch bars, but they also come in cappuccino now.
Last, but not least, they have a "chocolate bar". Now don't get too excited, because they're not anything like a real chocolate bar. Yes, they are chocolate covered, as are the crunch bars, but inside it is a very chewy consistency. It has an unusual taste, but not all bad. It also has a bit of an aftertaste, but you can live with it.
I like the fact that there are several consistencies to choose from, because if I just had to have shakes all the time I'd go crazy - I love to eat things that crunch and chew.
I hope that this information is useful to those yet to embark on the Optifast stage.
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Scotty 17

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-01-12

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 22 Jan 2014, 12:49 pm

Yes surfers is fun but wears you out. Food was my enemy this time as I was doing pre-p.

Your opp must be the 28 mine the next day 29. Best of luck with the opp etc. and best wishes with post opp. . I'm not feeling nervous at all, hope that is good, bit excited really. I will be glad when this stage is over. I am having a hiatus hernia repaired at the same time, so I will be 3 nights.

Back to top Go down
Jimbob

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 22 Jan 2014, 11:24 am

Scotty I noticed you went to Surfers paradise . I holidayed with my son in November & I went to all the theme parks & all the rides . I was so worn out after 1 week . Stayed at Meriton Broadbeach. . Came home for a rest . Haha
Back to top Go down
Jimbob

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 22 Jan 2014, 11:17 am

Thanks Scotty . I have until this Tuesday on the diet & that's when the surgery is . Made ratatouille , Miso soups , egg plant grilled large slices , tomatoes onion & capsicum.
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 22 Jan 2014, 7:09 am

Jimbob, wow 8.3 kg how did you do that, don't stop whatever you are doing it is really good, well done. I haven't even reach half that and haven't strayed at all. How long do you have to stay on pre-opp.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Tue 21 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

Well first time here.I'm from W.A. . Day 8 of Optislim & veggies ,miso soups . Lost 8.3kg. starting weight 108kg. . BMI 32. I'm 55 . Optislim Cherry bar not good . LikevMiso soups
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:46 pm

Hello again. We'll it is the end of day nine on pre-opp and I have losy 3.8 kg, hoping for more. I have stuck with the diet but may not be having enough salad or veg.

Tonight I am dreaming of some scrambled eggs, but no must move on. I find food cooking smells are the most difficult to cope with, I am still cooking for my two adult sons.

Just wondering if you would think it ok to have some skim milk scrambled egg the night before I go on clear fluids and Picoprep. My opp is on the 29 Jan.
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 16 Jan 2014, 9:01 am

Thank you Nini, family are at Pancakes at Surfers tonight, my favourite place. I opted to stay at the unit and have soup. Day four wow.... On a roll.

Cheers Ann
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 15 Jan 2014, 7:36 pm

Hi Scotty17,

You are rocking it. If you can do Opti while on holidays, you can do anything. Well done, keep up the good work.
Not long to go now,

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Wed 15 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

Wow day 3 finished on pre-opp didn't think I could do it. Soup with extra veggies made me feel a bit queasy yesterday so no soup today. Went on a Surfers cruise today had an optislim bar while family had sausage sizzle. Food smells are a problem especially in holiday restaurant heaven.

Just realised that today fortnight I will be having my opp. less than 2 weeks, not really feeling nervous yet but that might change. Hope the rest of the time goes as well as the last 3 days.
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 13 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

Sorry for being a pest but thought I would tell you that day one has not been too bad.

Cooked some veg and put into the Asian Beef quic fast, put in some curry powder and more lot carb salt. Really nice, wish I could have a piece of bread to dip it into. Tasty and nice veg.soup.

Curry really made the difference, thank you.
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 13 Jan 2014, 1:33 pm

Does everybody get headaches and do they seem to go after a few days.
Back to top Go down
Scotty 17

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 12 Jan 2014, 1:49 pm

Starting pre-opp in the morning. Getting a bit worried I won't be able to stick it out. I am determined though, hope the headaches are not too bad as I am on holiday at Surfers until Friday when I am driving back home (Sydney). Very bad timing. My opp date is 29 January, 2014. Went to Sizzler for my last meal, gosh it sounds like a death sentence not a new beginning.
I am feeling excited, anxious etc all at the same, guess this pretty normal. I am 62, BMI 38.5, pretty low luckily (I am a shortie so my weight really shows), only 2 weeks and 3 days on pre-opp. Going to Norwest Private with Dr Roy B. as my doctor.
Thanks for the chat feel better now and will be off to sleep hopefully.
Back to top Go down
GeoffN

Male
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-11-21

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 12 Jan 2014, 6:53 am

I've been adding a teaspoon of curry powder to the chicken soups which helps them a great deal - lots of spicy flavour, and the spices mask the synthetic smell of the base soup powder.

I've been trying to do more interesting things with the veggie side dishes - current favourite is sliced kale or silverbeet wilted with garlic, chilli and a spoon of olive oil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sat 04 Jan 2014, 2:19 am

Last night I had the chick soup with steamed veggies and I blended it all up - added a bit more water (not much), a little salt and pepper and it was lovely and very filling.
I have also been turning some of my shakes into slushy's and they are even more filling - I got the slushy cups from "Chill Factor"; you just place the cups in the freezer overnight and when you are ready you pour your drink into them and squeeze the cups and you have instant slushy (I bought two so I have one in the freezer ready to go all the time).
Just the heads-up ... do not eat the chocolate Optifast bar in the mornings .... very sweet and dense and a bit sickly for first thing, the Berry or the Cappuccino Bar are a much better choice.
I also got my Optifast stuff through Pharmacy on line and it was much cheaper - I purchased a fair bit so I did not run out, for Post-Op as well.
I am now on day 5 of the Optifast and things seem to be progressing a bit better, still a bit hungry but that is helped out by having a glass of water of low cal drink. No headaches today - thank god; still getting tired pretty quickly and needing an afternoon nap (which I do not like), but I am listening to what my body needs at this point of time; as i want to stay well for the op.
But all in all doing good - only 10 days to go before surgery .... yeah! Come the 14th and role round.

Cheers all
Back to top Go down
brismum

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 03 Jan 2014, 8:09 am

spunkygirl wrote:
Just had the opti vege soup. Reminded me of a cup o soup.  I actually liked it! With a side of steamed veges. Keeping it in mind for post op too.

I don't mind the soup either!

I'm at day 5 so the hunger has passed a bit, has just been the lack of sleep that has knocked me around. But that has to get better eventually!

Is it just me or do the strawberry and coffee shakes froth up better than the others?
Back to top Go down
spunkygirl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 02 Jan 2014, 8:42 am

Just had the opti vege soup. Reminded me of a cup o soup.  I actually liked it! With a side of steamed veges. Keeping it in mind for post op too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Pre-Op Day Three   Thu 02 Jan 2014, 4:51 am

I am day 3 of Optifast - headache, hungry ++++++; got my surgery on the 14th January. Just read that the headaches & hunger will last between 3 - 6 days - getting the body into ketosis. No diarrhoea, vomiting or nausea - just want the 14th to role on round. One advantage I have already lost nearly a kg in 3 days. 

Back to top Go down
spunkygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 02 Jan 2014, 3:57 am

HI brismum
I'm sleeping OK - except one night when I was so stressed about the op, I had decided not to go through with it.

I'm STARVING though. Hate this optifast. Day 4 for me too. 10 to go. Yikes.

sg

Back to top Go down
brismum

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:32 am

Just checking if not being able to sleep is a common optifast side effect? Not a wink of sleep last night on day 4!
Back to top Go down
spunkygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Mon 30 Dec 2013, 9:37 am

HI Waiting4mymoment

I have had the same experience as you! I started Opti today, instantly felt sick, just had a bout of diarrhea and have a headache that is going to put me to bed.

I am determined, I've made the decision, so I refuse to complain...

Did it settle for you?

sg

Back to top Go down
shoeberry

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2013-12-28

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Sun 29 Dec 2013, 10:03 pm

Has anyone tried the Aldi Slim & Trim? I noticed in this weeks catalogue they have a powdered version in strawberry and cookies and cream, and a ready made version in strawberry and chocolate. At $1.99 each they are probably worth a try (for after the op), but I was interested to know if anyone had already tried them.
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: opti diarhea   Sat 28 Dec 2013, 2:26 pm

Waiting, I had the runs and yuk feelings almost instantly too for the first few days of opti every time I went on it (i stopped and started several times). It did get better, I don't know why it happened though, but it did settle down. Drink plenty of water and check with the dr if it keeps happening. I ignored it though as I knew the opti was only temporary, and the symptoms settled. I didn't want to be told I have lactose intolerance or any other dieticians conclusion like that because I don't. Hope it settles for you too.
Back to top Go down
Waiting4mymoment

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-09-10

PostSubject: TMI - sorry :( (Nausea & diarrhea)   Sat 28 Dec 2013, 10:53 am

Hey guys and girls,

Not wanting to gross anyone out - however I tentatively started my opti shakes today.

And.. Well.. Here goes..

Almost instantaneous diarrhea.. Felt queasy & nauseous for hours afterwards..

Almost developed a migraine..

Is that in anyway normal?

I liked the shake.. Wasn't a bad taste and was able to swallow it pretty easily. (Choc supreme? From optifast premium range)

Anyone else developed bowel issues from drinking opti?
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: dreading opti   Sat 21 Dec 2013, 2:11 am

I'm soooo not looking forward to my preop fast. I  understand about the ketosis and liver shrinking. My BMI is 61 so I have 6 weeks of 3 opti a day plus 2 cups of allowed vegetables and no milk in coffee (so I will be sticking to coffee opti or adding coffee to another flavour, as I loathe black coffee and don't like tea). I prefer savoury to sweet so will be going for the opti soups for lunch and dinner most likely, shake for breakfast so I can get some coffee in! Fortunately I've always been a good water drinker. I'm asking for a slushee maker for Christmas as I've seen other posts saying the opti shakes are more tolerable icy cold. My surgery date is late March so Valentine's Day will be my last hurrah, hubby and I will go to the same restaurant and eat the same meal we have for the last 23 years. Then the next day start the opti...I hope I can keep it down. Good to see other people have had success with alternate preop diets thru their dietitian if I can't handle it. Poor hubby has volunteered to live on Lean Cuisine etc for 6 weeks so I'm not tortured by cooking smells while on opti. He's a sweetheart :-)
Back to top Go down
LeonieB

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-08-26

PostSubject: Re: The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast   Fri 20 Dec 2013, 4:01 am

Hi

My op is on 06/01/14 and I started my pre-op optifast diet 5 days ago - 3 weeks before as my BMI was 48 :-(.  I was struggling with the amount of food I was allowed to eat.  I actually thought I had to eat it all hahahaha so I rang the dietician and she said that as long as I have the 3 meals of protien I will be fine.  I was allowed the following:

3 serves of Optifast (either shake, bar or soup)
2 serves of fruit
200gms of chicken, meat or fish
unlimited salad and veges(no starch ones)
tea/coffee with milk
diet jelly
diet softdrink

Does anyone else have this pre-op diet, I just think its alot for someone trying to cut down. 
I am excited though that I am allowed to have Christmas Day off my diet :-) :-) 
Back to top Go down
kexster

Female
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-11-13

PostSubject: opti   Fri 13 Dec 2013, 2:39 am

Some people add essences.     Mint or    orange  to the choc  for example.

I find having heaps of ice, preferably crushed makes an amazing difference to  drinking the liquids.
Back to top Go down

The Pre-Op Diet, Optifast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: