AuthorMessage
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: New and in need of advice!   Wed 26 Oct 2016, 10:10 pm

Hi Rose😊 Welcome!

There's heaps of great info on here that you can check out! Try the 'All about surgery' and the monthly sections for some blow by blow information. As for your specific questions...

I had my surgery done in Sydney in March 2015 with no complications and no complications since.

I have met a few people who have had complications and they can be major life threatening issues so make sure you do discuss this with your surgeon so you know the risks and what to do to reduce them in your own case.

I didn't see a psychologist for a huge period of time but I do think it would be very beneficial, I have had a hard time adjusting to the mental side of losing my coping mechanism with food (I am an emotional eater). If you can work with a psychologist to put good strategies to cope with stress in place I think your journey would be that little bit easier.

Can't help with dietitians in Melbourne😉

Last point...yes getting the sleeve was massively life changing! And it has far exceeded my expectations! Before the surgery I really wanted to believe that it would help but I don't think I ever truly thought I would get the results I have achieved😃

I've lost over 36kg (over 75% of my excess weight) and am maintaining that while building muscle, I've completely changed my relationship with food and I'm a much fitter and healthier version of me💪

Was it easy? No freaking way! But it has been so much easier to make food choices because after the surgery I finally got why people can sit there and say 'why can't you just stop eating?' Before surgery I could lose weight but it was always a struggle eating small amounts and I always felt deprived, I always regained because I just couldn't rely on will power for the next 40 or so years to keep it off. NOW I can stop immediately, I eat what I can physically eat and just don't want anything more. I can literally stop mid bite and say nope I'm full I don't need anything else! And that is the massive difference, I don't feel deprived anymore!

There are things I don't eat since surgery but the list is very short. I can pretty much eat small amounts of everything and I still go out and enjoy eating food with friends! I don't really like steak anymore or yogurt and I don't do soft drinks, those foods don't really sit great. I try to avoid bread, rice and pasta because they fill me up but don't have a lot of useful nutrition but on the whole I eat pretty normally just healthier and heaps less than I used to.

You have to commit to the lifestyle changes, it's a tool not a majic wand so be prepared that it's going to be hard work! That said for me it has been a great solution to my life long issues with my weight and the best decision I've made.

Whatever decision you make in I hope you get the support that you need and I hope it all goes well😊
Back to top Go down
vampkit

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-10-10

PostSubject: Re: New and in need of advice!   Wed 26 Oct 2016, 10:49 am

Hi Rowilson, saw your post.  I have not had a sleeve surgery yet nor have experience with your doctor.  However, I have seen a lot of very good comments on him.  There are some groups on Facebook where sleeve surgery patients gather.  One is called November 2016 Sleeve Bypass Surgery Group, The other much larger... Gastric Sleeve Australia Support Group.
Back to top Go down
rowilson

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-10-23

PostSubject: New and in need of advice!   Sun 23 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm

Hi Guys, 
I'm new to this page. ill tell you a little about me I'm from New Zealand but have been living in Melbourne for the past 6 years. I'm 22 years old and i just had my first appointment with Mr Hai Bui and safe to say I'm freaking out a little post this appointment. I've always struggled with my weight right from when i was 8 years old, i was never really aware of it but my parents and family always restricted my diet and  i was always being told id be so pretty if i just lost a few pounds... 

Hai was absolutely lovely and made me feel at ease, he answered all my questions and spent more time than need explaining everything. I've spent the weekend reading through all the information hes given me and believe that this is the right option for me. I've tried talking about this with a couple of my friends this weekend to get some support and some opinions on the matter and not one of them have been supportive. i was meet with a lot of why don't you just exercise more and eat less... My best friend (we are both nurses) was like you wont be able to eat this and this and this. she listed all these complications post surgery and i just generally felt that she was against the idea but i dont feel like she understands what im going through as shes never struggled with her weight like i have. 

So really i was hoping someone would be able to give me some support and fill me in on some information. 
Has anyone had there sleeve done with Mr Bui?
Any major complications post surgey? 
Should i see a psychologist? 
Any recommendations on dietitians in the west of Melbourne?
Was getting a sleeve as life changing as you thought it would be?

Thank you in advance 
Rose
Back to top Go down

New and in need of advice!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: