View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gleni

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2017-03-18

PostSubject: Re: My experience   Tue 21 Mar 2017, 1:48 am

Groovy wrote:
Gah! I just typed up a long reply cautioning about some difficulties that can be had with the sleeve and to not look upon it as the Holy Grail of weight loss, then lost it dammit!

Anyway, it's great that you've come here looking to interact with others who are going through the same thing. I'd encourage you to continue coming here or, if not here, then some form of online or real life form of support. Studies show the ones who keep their weight off long term are the people who engage with their surgeons/dietitian/support group the most. So often newbies register, leave a comment or two and then never return.

The surgery is just the beginning, at some point it will fully hit you (even though you think you have a handle on it now) that you're truly on your own, the surgery has done it's work in helping you lose weight but that you STILL have to practice restraint, have to exercise, have to self-care just like everyone else who's maintained their weight life-long. Watching Netflix, eating chips and drinking glass of wine is so much more easy than putting on your shoes and going for a walk after meal prepping your dinners for the week. Best of luck with to you both.
Thanks Groovy for your response.
Totally agree that the Sleeve is not the holy grail of weight loss.  I had an Orbera balloon put in for 6 months (4 years ago) where I was only able to eat small meals (similar concept to a sleeve, but not invasive) but once it was removed the stomach was back to normal size and I didn't carryon the necessary eating restrictions going forward.  I thought it would be a `kick start' ....WRONG!  However, the `balloon' is a very temporary measure and not very successful as a long term weight loss tool. 
I'm looking forward to a better lifestyle of eating better and exercise and I believe the sleeve will assist in keeping the portions in check along the way.
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Groovy

Female
Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2016-02-12

PostSubject: Re: My experience   Mon 20 Mar 2017, 11:18 pm

Gah! I just typed up a long reply cautioning about some difficulties that can be had with the sleeve and to not look upon it as the Holy Grail of weight loss, then lost it dammit!

Anyway, it's great that you've come here looking to interact with others who are going through the same thing. I'd encourage you to continue coming here or, if not here, then some form of online or real life form of support. Studies show the ones who keep their weight off long term are the people who engage with their surgeons/dietitian/support group the most. So often newbies register, leave a comment or two and then never return.

The surgery is just the beginning, at some point it will fully hit you (even though you think you have a handle on it now) that you're truly on your own, the surgery has done it's work in helping you lose weight but that you STILL have to practice restraint, have to exercise, have to self-care just like everyone else who's maintained their weight life-long. Watching Netflix, eating chips and drinking glass of wine is so much more easy than putting on your shoes and going for a walk after meal prepping your dinners for the week. Best of luck with to you both.
Back to top Go down
Gleni

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2017-03-18

PostSubject: Re: My experience   Mon 20 Mar 2017, 6:43 am

Hi,

I'm just new to the site and booked in for my gastric sleeve op April 18.  I read your `experience' which was very motivating!
I even ordered the recommended book (for my upcoming birthday present from my husband...ha!).

I read so many stories, and it appears that most of the people who were disgruntled with the sleeve failed to follow the pre and post op diet and management etc to the max.  Of course, there are always post surgery complications which may effect a small percentage of people.  Anyway, I feel that I am going into this with my eyes wide open and a strong determination to make it work. 

How are you tracking now? 

Thanks again for your encouragement!
Back to top Go down
wilrc1

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-03-28

PostSubject: My experience   Mon 20 Jun 2016, 9:57 am

Hi, I'm new here, I was sleeved on the Gold Coast at John Flynn Hospital two weeks ago by Dr Victor Liew - best surgeon ever, nicest person I have met and only charges $500 gap, I had no complications, minimal pain whilst in hospital which was easily managed, in hospital for two nights, had a day off work after getting out to rest and then went back to work as i felt normal again, I never feel hungry, have never vomited or had any side effects, I think I'm lucky to have had such an amazing surgeon... I haven't bothered with a dietitian as i travel a lot for work and the ones i had referrals for were never available when i was so i purchased the 'Your Complete Guide to Nutrition for Weight Loss Surgery' which is just outstanding, it has guided me through each stage of recovery and so far have lost 22kg in 4 weeks (since starting Optifast pre-op). This has already started to change my life, i feel like a new person just 2 weeks post operation, if you are considering surgery, I would say go for it, some people do have complications but others don't, follow the lead in preparations to the letter and follow your surgeons advice, also invest in good book like the one above. I'm so happy, i never thought it would be so easy but i was so ready for this mentally... 6 years ago i first started thinking about it so it took me a while to get in the right mind set, good luck to everyone!
Back to top Go down

My experience
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Sleeve success stories-
Jump to: