Anxiously Waiting for Op

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Devy10

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Wed 08 Jun 2016, 4:00 am

My dark mood has passed thank goodness....

One week today, feeling rather happy, excited and anxious - its all starting to sink in now... I wish it would all just hurry up this week will drag im sure.

My dietitian called yesterday to see how I was going, so far so good, yes I've had my moments where I THINK im hungry, I find the weekends the worst for me, but anyway im getting through it. Went to the gym last night it was great I felt good afterwards.

I've already packed my bag I'm ready to go :-) and now im Waiting, waiting, waiting................!!

Unicorn
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Tue 31 May 2016, 2:54 am

I hope all goes well for you on Wednesday Agus :-)

The Opti Diet isn't as bad I first thought, you can have the bars, soups and shakes oh and of course the pudding. In addition to the Opti you can add unlimited tea, coffee, water (no milk) you can have low calorie sweeteners, diet soft drink, mineral water, also additional food allowance includes herbs, spices, (no salt) and a range of sauces.
I'm allowed a wide range of vegetables at least 2 cups per day which is great also diet jelly as a snack so for me there is a lot of variety there, you can also make your own home made clear broth you can use as a snack.

my dietitian said this is the general meal plan most patients receive, however I guess it would vary between patients depending on individual circumstances.

Ive had a black coffee and berry bar for breakfast, ive made the vegie soup for lunch and ive added a few extra steamed vegies and for dinner ill have the same with the a jelly for pudding.
Back to top Go down
agus

Female
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2016-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Mon 30 May 2016, 12:46 pm

my first appointment with dietitian is 11/07 via phone but in 2 days - on Wednesday I have colonoscopy and gastroscopy ( as a part of super checkup before sleeve) which means that I will not be eating anything from tomorrow after breakfast.
I thought I should start right after that if my Opti arrives on time.

what else are we allowed to eat on opti?
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Mon 30 May 2016, 11:32 am

Thanks I hope my 2 weeks is a breeze but I'm not sure that will actually be the case. I was ok at work but as soon As I got home I found my self looking for pre dinner snacks - I guess old habits really are hard to kick..
(I didn't give in but it was tough) hence I need to get the jelly I'm allowed -:)

I think doing an optifast trial is a great idea at least then youll know what to expect. Let me know what you decide to do -:)
Back to top Go down
agus

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Mon 30 May 2016, 11:26 am

I bought some Opti yesterday online and I am wondering whether I should do trial 2 weeks or so...just to see whether I can handle it fulltime

my surgeon asked me to be 3 weeks on it pre op due to BMI 43 and enlarged liver

I hope those 2 weeks will fly for you super fast and before you know it your stomach will be tiny :)
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Optifast   Mon 30 May 2016, 10:32 am

I started my opti fast 2 week count down today
Breakfast - berry bar
Lunch - vegy soup
Dinner - vegy soup and steamed vegetables
I've also had a black coffee and water laced with benifiber

Not bad for a start but I will get some sugar free jelly tomorrow.

Id love to know if anyone sufferes from hunger after the op, my surgeon says no it's impossible but regardless id like some feedback if possible.
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Fri 27 May 2016, 12:41 am

I'm very impatient :-)

My heaviest weight was 100kg I started Cohens and lost 35kgs and was happy with my 65kg weight I maintained this weight for 3 yrs, I then had a few medical issues and over time gained all the weight back, lost and gained over and over.

So here I am overweight and ready to begin my new journey - my final journey to a happy, healthy skinny me..

I have an appointment with the dietitian today and cant wait to start my OptiFast.

For the first time in a long time im happy, im happy because I know im about to put an end to the FAT me :-)

Back to top Go down
agus

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Wed 25 May 2016, 12:48 pm

Devy10 wrote:
Hi Agus,

Yes self funding its all happened rather quick, I have extras cover for the usual dental etc but not full cover unfortunately, were a family of 5 and per month the cost was just under $600.

My total out of pocket cost is $17,500 - I could claim through my super but im not sure if I want to go down that road just yet.

Im to impatient to wait the 12 months if I was to increase my cover, I want it done now :-)

Devinna

wow! you must be really impatient but I completely understand that
It is funny, we grow fat over many years and then when we finally decide to have the op we want it now and just a few months feels like FOREVER!

I wished I didn't have to wait till Sept or maybe Oct...
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Wed 25 May 2016, 10:13 am

I had few surgeries in the past, and the sleeve was not so painful for me.
The only thing that really hurt in the hospital was my large drainage tube on my left side.
Once it was removed, the relief was almost instant, and I could lie on that side.

Not everyone gets a drainage tube inserted.

The most painful surgery I had was combined rhinoplasty/septoplasty. I could not breathe through my nose due to packing, and the pain was almost unbearable.

Another painful one was gall bladder removal - cholecystectomy. Actually the incision site did not hurt as much as the massive shoulder pain/cramp from the surgical gas.

I was really worried re surgical gas pain post WLS, but I didn't feel it.

Really, I just breezed through this op.

Water, I can now gulp it, but I do add a little diet lemonade to it, or little apple juice.
Drinking water on its own is hard for me, guess the surface tension thing makes it difficult for me to drink water by itself.

Cheers,

Margo
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Wed 25 May 2016, 4:57 am

congratulations on your recent marriage :-)

I wondered about water as I drink a bit of it, that's interesting I wonder how many others have experienced the same or similar.

I've had my ovaries removed via key hole and that wasn't so bad, pain was so so but I lived on endone for a week :-)
I would imagine a sleeve would be more painful and I think that purely because not only have you had something removed but the healing of what's left behind.

I'll check out your previous post for sure, it sounds like you've done an amazing job already, I wish you all the best for the remaining weight loss and maintenance to come.
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Wed 25 May 2016, 4:04 am

I haven't had any complications and physically I can eat whatever, haven't had many troubles. As you probably know by now Dr K is a big believer in the keto diet and I found I got the best results sticking to that. I recently got married and went on a honeymoon cruise etc and in the lead up to that let my diet get a bit out of control (eating breads, sugar and drinking alcohol) but haven't had any problems with those foods...apart from the obvious fact that it really does stall the weightloss. I don't plan on continuing to eat like that and have started getting back on track now👍

There's a few things I don't like to eat, have gone off yogurt altogether since to op as it seems to upset my stomach but have no trouble with cheese. The only real discomfort issue I've had has been with plain water, it sat really heavy and I couldnt tolerate it early on at all but it has improved since then. After the op I added some zero cal sweetener which seemed to cut down the surface tension, trying to have water without that now though.

I hadn't had any ops before the sleeve and I'm a bit of a wuss so I was surprised at how painful the op and recovery was. The team at the hospital was awesome though and it didn't stop me from getting up and about as quick as I could! I felt pain in my incisions for a long time after the op and I did take panadol for a while after my pain meds ran out to help with that. Having said that I was doing a lot of walking as soon as I could and once I got clearance was back at the gym as well too.

The biggest issue for me was the emotional changes that I had to go through, the way people respond to your body, the attention about the weightloss, and the fact that I couldn't use food as a coping mechanism anymore. It was really hard and I still struggle with it! But these days I might have a piece of chocolate rather than the whole block.

I love my sleeve and how far I've come with this help. I haven't made goal yet (so far I've lost over 70% of my excess weight) but hopefully I will continue losing, get to Dr K's target weight and lose the full 100%! Having said that I'm so happy and proud of my results, I'm just much more comfortable doing everyday things and it really is a weight off my shoulders.

All the best for your op👍 Most of my posts are in the March 2015 thread as I didn't start a diary but feel free to ask any other questions if there's anything in particular you want to know😊
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Wed 25 May 2016, 1:58 am

Hi Lmw93579

Great to hear form you :-)

Im so glad to hear you're doing so well, when I first went into see Dr K I didn't really know what to think but as you know he's just wonderful he put my mind at ease, he was so caring, I have to say everyone at the clinic Patricia and Maria are amazing.

A lady came in for a post op visit while I was there and she looked amazing, I just cant wait to feel as good as she looked.

Did you have any issues as such, have you had any issues with any types of foods ? ;-)
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Wed 25 May 2016, 1:45 am

Hey Devy, saw your post and thought I'd say hi :)

I had my op with Dr K in Mar 2015 and he's been wonderful the whole way along. My op came about really quickly too, I think it was 5 or 6 weeks from hearing about the procedure to op but it has been a great move for me. I went with St George because that was the option at that particular time. I self funded as well and I really agonized over it at the time but over a year later now I can see, in my case at least, it really worked out for the best!
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Wed 25 May 2016, 1:05 am

Hi Agus,

Yes self funding its all happened rather quick, I have extras cover for the usual dental etc but not full cover unfortunately, were a family of 5 and per month the cost was just under $600.

My total out of pocket cost is $17,500 - I could claim through my super but im not sure if I want to go down that road just yet.

Im to impatient to wait the 12 months if I was to increase my cover, I want it done now :-)

Devinna
Back to top Go down
agus

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Tue 24 May 2016, 1:42 pm

Hi Devy!

wow, self funding! 

I am always wondering whether it would be cheaper to take up private health insurance and wait 12 months?

Have you considered that or just didn't want to wait?

cheers
agus
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Tue 24 May 2016, 12:16 am

Thank you Krakow57,
I know this is the new beginning for me and I cant wait. :-)

Thanks for the support.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Sat 21 May 2016, 2:35 am

Hi Devy10,

Congratulations on your speedy op date!

For me, the worst thing was thinking and worrying about the surgery pre op.

Once it was done, I just followed my post op instructions, went to my appointments, and basically concentrated on my recovery.

Lots of fear and worries although a natural response, in hindsight were unnecessary .....

Best wishes to you      :)
Back to top Go down
Devy10

Female

PostSubject: Anxiously Waiting for Op   Fri 20 May 2016, 2:49 am

Hi all,

I've read through some of the previous post and there are some amazing support and stories here which is great to see, my op date is set for the 15th June its all happened rather quick as I only saw my doctor last Monday and hello now I'm booked and ready to go.
I see the dietitian next Friday and the psych the following week.
I'm going through Dr Kuzinkovas he was fantastic as are his team.
I had the option to go through either Sydney private hospital in Ashfield or St George, as I'm self funding I decided to go with Sydney private as they are slightly cheaper.

Its all very exciting but nerve racking at the same time...
Back to top Go down

Anxiously Waiting for Op
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: