Share | 

Newbie from Tassie in research stage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
memphis_pearl

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Tassie in research stage   Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:30 pm

Krissy1 wrote:
Oh my gosh.. i asked a couple of people i know about surgeons, and they said that the surgeon i mentioned i my last post that was noncommittal about his response was involved in a coroners case in the past few years after one of his lap band patients died. That has freaked me a little. I did a google search and of course all the details came up- and i also searched the registration board that says he had received a reprimand.  Bit scared of surgery now.
Hi Krissy,
Stsy away from that surgeon in my personal opinion. I would email some of the top surgeons rooms in Melbourne and ask them about follow up appointments and so on. There  used to be a government scheme for reimbursing of some transport and accommodation costs. Do ask them about that also. Let us know how you go..good luck :)
Back to top Go down
agus

Female
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2016-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Tassie in research stage   Mon 30 May 2016, 12:12 pm

oh my God, Krissy, this is scary!!!!!!
I would be saving and having it done in Melbourne with experienced surgeon.

This is serious operation and if anything goes wrong it goes wrong very badly and can have serious consequences.
I would rather take a loan or wait another year saving than going with surgeon like that.

Band is the most popular procedure (easiest as well) but because of poor rate of weightloss success and rate of complications (scarring internally) it is rapidly losing popularity to sleeve.

To be honest when choosing surgeon we should make sure that they also do bypass surgeries (the most complicated from all bariatric surgeries). Not to mention other complicated internal surgeries. Also always ask how many sleeved they did and how many serious complications cases they had.

I know it is not easy to go to different town but I am doing it that way (550m away) because I want to minimise risk of having complications.

One ore question to ask surgeon: how long the sleeve surgery takes, if the answer is 45min - stay away. Another questions: do they do additional suturing of the stomach line to prevent leaks and locate stomach to prevent from twisting.

I keep my fingers crossed for you!!! eep posting!
agus
Back to top Go down
Krissy1

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Tassie in research stage   Mon 30 May 2016, 9:51 am

Oh my gosh.. i asked a couple of people i know about surgeons, and they said that the surgeon i mentioned i my last post that was noncommittal about his response was involved in a coroners case in the past few years after one of his lap band patients died. That has freaked me a little. I did a google search and of course all the details came up- and i also searched the registration board that says he had received a reprimand.  Bit scared of surgery now.
Back to top Go down
Krissy1

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Tassie in research stage   Sat 28 May 2016, 10:43 am

Thanks Lisa and Memphis-Pearl,

I have inquired locally now and found 1 surgeon who has been banding for a while now does the sleeves- but i am unsure if he would be to way to go seeing he has only just started.  I assume the band would be a technically more difficult procedure to perform though, and so if they can band they should be able to sleeve??? Any thoughts on that????

The other one was a bit non committal, and said (via email) that the sleeve, bypass and band were options, and i should come in for an appointment. I wonder if that means he would try to talk me into a band. He didn't say he performed the sleeve. I don' t want to waste my time if he doesn't do the procedure i want! 

My GP will write me a referral if i want.

Just a  quick question- Is VSG open - or the same as laparascopic? 

Thanks-

also can anyone recommend you tube sleevers from Aus?
Back to top Go down
memphis_pearl

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Tassie in research stage   Fri 13 May 2016, 3:07 pm

Krissy1 wrote:
Hi all,
I have battled with weight pretty much all my life.. i topped the scales at 141.8kg in 2008, but managed to get to almost a healthy BMI 4 years ago with low carb eating, but am now at least 30 kg heavier than my lowest weight (about 30kg lower than my heaviest weight). I feel like i will end up back where i was if i dont intervene surgically. 

I am leaning towards a sleeve, although this would mean travelling interstate for the surgery. Unless someone has started operating here since anyone last posted on surgeons in Tassie.  Is there a lot of follow up required for the sleeves, and could that be easily done remotely? I cant afford to travel to Melb regularly for check ups. Im a single mum!

I am wondering if i should be looking at the bands, as there are 3 surgeons here that do the procedure. Two in Hobart, Dr Pat and Dr Wilkinson, the later also operates in Launceston, as does Dr Pande.. any recommendations there? I hate the thought of getting foods stuck, and having the reflux issues, that seem worse for banders.

The more i read- the more i realize i don't know anything. I had no idea i could access super- Is this difficult?  I already have private health (with St Lukes fund)

This is a great site, with lots of info that i will try to absorb
thank you
Welcome Krissy
Have you checked with the surgeons who do the band whether they perform VSG also? Just a suggestion.... :)
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Tassie in research stage   Tue 10 May 2016, 2:48 pm

Welcome Krissy!

One of the great things about the sleeve is that in many ways it is 'set and forget". Well, not exactly, but it doesn't require the close follow up that a gastric band does.

Obviously each surgeon will have his or her own requirements but I'm sure if you don't have complications a phone consult would be possible for follow up.  Perhaps try ringing a few surgeon's rooms and talking to the office staff about this. I'm sure you are not the only patient that has faced this dilemma, so surely they'd have something in place for people who live interstate or outside major cities.

The other main follow up is with a dietitian and you'd be able to do that locally.

I can only talk about the sleeve as that's what I have. I'm almost three months out and 22kg down. I love my sleeve and have no regrets. I didn't really even consider the band after I started researching because of all the people reporting that their band had failed. So many people end up revising to a sleeve that I figured that would be a better option for me.
Back to top Go down
Krissy1

Female

PostSubject: Newbie from Tassie in research stage   Tue 10 May 2016, 5:52 am

Hi all,
I have battled with weight pretty much all my life.. i topped the scales at 141.8kg in 2008, but managed to get to almost a healthy BMI 4 years ago with low carb eating, but am now at least 30 kg heavier than my lowest weight (about 30kg lower than my heaviest weight). I feel like i will end up back where i was if i dont intervene surgically. 

I am leaning towards a sleeve, although this would mean travelling interstate for the surgery. Unless someone has started operating here since anyone last posted on surgeons in Tassie.  Is there a lot of follow up required for the sleeves, and could that be easily done remotely? I cant afford to travel to Melb regularly for check ups. Im a single mum!

I am wondering if i should be looking at the bands, as there are 3 surgeons here that do the procedure. Two in Hobart, Dr Pat and Dr Wilkinson, the later also operates in Launceston, as does Dr Pande.. any recommendations there? I hate the thought of getting foods stuck, and having the reflux issues, that seem worse for banders.

The more i read- the more i realize i don't know anything. I had no idea i could access super- Is this difficult?  I already have private health (with St Lukes fund)

This is a great site, with lots of info that i will try to absorb
thank you
Back to top Go down

Newbie from Tassie in research stage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: