AuthorMessage
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Sydney Self Funded Newbie    Tue 03 May 2016, 3:11 am

Hey Chase,

I'm from Sydney and I self funded in March 2015 and so far for me it has definitely been worth it!! I've lost over 80% of my excess weight and things are going really well. It was a lot of money and uncertainty at the time but after a year I can honestly say it's the best decision I ever made😀

That being said I had a fantastic surgeon (Dr Kuzinkovas), was relatively healthy to start with and had a textbook recovery (even though it felt really tough!). I self funded because my surgeon operates in a private hospital, which wasn't going to be covered in my insurance and I had no reason to wait any longer. For me it was around $21000 all in (surgeon, anesthetist and hospital stay). It was a lot of money straight up and if something had gone wrong it could have gotten financially debilitating very quickly.

If you make the decision to do this op it is a hard thing to do and like any other tool you have to be committed to it. I struggled with physical pain initially but the hardest thing about this for me was getting my head around the mental challenges, emotional eating was a real issue for me and so I've had to look at real strategies to manage my anxiety. It's was still all worth it for me!

All the best for your decision 👍
Back to top Go down
wabster

Male
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2016-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Sydney Self Funded Newbie    Mon 18 Apr 2016, 9:43 am

Peachi43 wrote:
Hi All

I'm looking to have sleeve surgery, I live in Sydney. I do not have health insurance that will cover the surgery. I would like to hear some real feed back the costs of self funded surgery. While cost is a top priority - I'm also willing to pay more for a great surgeon. 

For those who have self funded, has the cost been worth it?

Thanks 
Chase

Hi Chase,

I'm a newbie to this site, and about to have a self funded gastric sleeve with Dr Clement Tsang at Misurgery (Google it as I can't post external links as a newbie) who seems like a well qualified doctor. He will quote you for the operation + hospital package as a non-insured patient. I believe you need to consider both, especially uninsured.

As I live in Hurstville I am being done locally as Dr Tsang operates at Waratah Hospital here on May 3rd. I'm currently doing the Optifast lead up and doing OK.

Cheerz Wabster.
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Sydney Self Funded Newbie    Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:08 am

Hi Chase
I didn't self fund, either ( the surgeon I went through doesn't do the sleeve on self funded patients) I'm pretty sure that it costs around $20K if you do self  fund, and not all surgeons will take you on . Obviously if you have a patient who develops a leak, the costs would blow out significantly, so I guess you would have to take that into consideration for yourself, as well. All the best.
Back to top Go down
krakow57
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Sydney Self Funded Newbie    Thu 14 Apr 2016, 7:46 am

Chase,

sorry can't help you with the financing question.
I have high private medical insurance, and still was out of pocket for $4,500

Would your surgeon accept a payment plan? Some cosmetic surgeries do, but I don't know if WLS do .....

Yes, many ADs can increase the appetite substantially.

I occasionally suffer from depressions, and the only drug that did not make me eat more, was Effexor.

I hope you get more answers to your questions.

Good luck and best wishes!
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Sydney Self Funded Newbie    Wed 13 Apr 2016, 11:07 pm

Hi Chase, and welcome!

I'm not from Sydney and didn't self fund so I can't help with your questions! Hopefully someone else will be able to.

If you don't get  a response here try posting your question in the pre op section of the forum or perhaps in the section about paying for your surgery.

Lisa :)
Back to top Go down
Peachi43

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2016-04-12

PostSubject: Sydney Self Funded Newbie    Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:52 am

Hi All

I'm new here so I'll give a quick rundown of my situation; Chase, 26, female, 120kg, always been a bigger girl but since early 2014 I had a traumatic event that left me with anxiety, depression and my weight has spiralled out of control since. All attempts to lose weight since have failed or left me heavier. I have been through a number of antidepressants but most of them make me really sweaty and also gain weight, this was humiliating and I gave up on AD's over 1 month ago because I can't handle putting on any more weight. 

I'm looking to have sleeve surgery, I live in Sydney. I do not have health insurance that will cover the surgery. I would like to hear some real feed back the costs of self funded surgery. While cost is a top priority - I'm also willing to pay more for a great surgeon. 

For those who have self funded, has the cost been worth it?

Thanks 
Chase
Back to top Go down

Sydney Self Funded Newbie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: