Newby from Perth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
weightykatie

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Perth   Thu 25 Feb 2016, 4:23 am

Thank you both for your replies and advice.  I will take a look at the BMI Clinic, was your operation in Joondalup?  Dr Dolan works out of Glengarry or Hollywood, not that it matters really but my daughter works at one of these and I could well be under her care if I went there.  I'm not sure it that's a good or a bad thing lol!  I'm sure I won't have any regrets eventually, it's just making that first move.  I keep prevaricating.
Back to top Go down
Ceds

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2015-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Perth   Wed 24 Feb 2016, 9:46 am

Hi Katie and welcome!!

Have you contact the BMI Clinic? Dr Basson there is awesome and all up it's about $2500 out of pocket.  Certainly worth touching base if you aren't too far away.

Good luck - you won't be the downer at the dinner table - you'll be the one going 'wow I can't believe how much you're all eating!'!
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Newby from Perth   Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:43 am

Welcome Katie!

I have only been sleeved for one week, but I have no regrets at this stage! I really think you should make an appointment to see the surgeon. You don't have to commit to anything at all, just hear what he has to say.

Also, I'm not from Perth, but I do know there are lots of doctors who do the sleeve there. Do a bit of research by having a look at the forum section on surgeons, or ask a question in the pre op section to see if anyone knows of a reasonably priced surgeon in your area. We have lots of people from Perth here!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
weightykatie

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Newby from Perth   Sun 21 Feb 2016, 4:06 am

Hello, thank you for adding me, I'd be thrilled if I could find others in a similar situation to me. 

Well, a little about me.  I'm 67 and have been overweight for a great deal of my adult life.  Not all of it by any means but certainly the last 20 years.  I've been living with type II diabetes for 7 years and hypertension.  I'm on the limit of the amount of Diabex I can take and although my control is okay, more drastic measures are just around the corner.  It was my GP who suggested weight loss surgery.  I ummed and aaghed about it but finally went to see Dr Dolan here in Perth about 15 months ago.  I then upped my health cover so that I could have the surgery down the line.  At first I was convinced that I wanted a lap band.  The thought of something so permanent was totally out of the question.  Fast forward a year and after some research I'm rather changing my mind and leaning towards the sleeve.  I really can't bear the thought of all those fills and getting the settings right.  My family are very supportive and as my daughter rightly says, it will be life changing.  I don't want to go into advanced old age with so much blubber holding me down to the point I get immobile before my time.

All that being said, it's a scary thought.  Age is not my friend and I would like to hear from anyone of similar vintage who has been down this route.  I'm frightened of the cost.  I'm on a very restricted income and am about to raid what little bit of super I have available to pay the excess.  As a family we are very much food orientated with regular get togethers at the dinner table.  Will I end up being the misery no-one wants at future feasts?

Now I just have to pluck up the courage to ring Dr Dolan's rooms to make the next appointment (I have another GP referral as they expire after a year).  I called a week or so ago trying to get some definitive answers about costs but it's all so tricky.  Everyone seems to want a bit of the pie even with top health cover.  I read that someone else was out of pocket $6,500 and I just don't have that sort of money. 

I apologise for the ramble and hope it doesn't sound like I'm a wo is me sort of person.  I'm mostly up beat but this whole thing is just so daunting and I just need to sound out with others who know what they are talking about.

Thanks in advance, Cath
Back to top Go down

Newby from Perth
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: