View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LeahTeneal

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸   Thu 10 Mar 2016, 11:08 am

Hey Oopy,
Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail!
You were very helpful thankyou!

So I have a little update.
I met with Dr Padovan on the 1st of March, and he's more than happy to sleeve me when my Private health 12 month wait is up (Jan 2017)
He also said the words "I'm going to give you a new life"
Wow I sure am excited!
So I booked in to see him again this October and we will choose a date in January for my Op! Yay 10 months to go haha 🤗🤗🤗🤗
Back to top Go down
Oopy

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸   Wed 10 Feb 2016, 3:42 am

Hi Leah, I too am new to bariatrics.  It's exciting to realise how quickly my life will change. 

I'm 42 years of age, married with no children of my own, fulltime worker.  In 2011 my husband and I moved from Melbourne to Perth.  I have a fur baby (Pom dog), step-son in QLD and step-daughter in VIC.

Growing up, my mother dictated the only way to be healthy was to limit food and maximise exercise.  That may be so for some people, but 1993 was the last time I saw 70kg on my scales. 

My husband had a form of gastric operation (VBG?) in 2003.  My step-daughter had banding in July 2013.  Earlier this year I spoke to a work colleague who's been transformed through bariatrics.  I've now decided it's my caterpillar-to-butterfly time. 

*  14/01/2016 - my GP gave me an open referral.  I've always had private health insurance (PHI) so I checked my coverage and spoke with two different consultants via telephone (just to make sure).

*  5/02/2016 - my first appointment with Leon Cohen at SJOG Mt Lawley for 5/02/2016.  One hour with him and we discussed my current stats (165cm, 108kg, BMI 39.7%), my goal weight (70's), medical history and weight gain/loss history to date, what procedure would be better (sleeve) and the risks involved.  By the end of this meeting I was $200 lighter (Medicare rebate) and knew my sleeve date (31/03/2016).

I'm going out of WA from 20/02/2016 to 20/03/2016 so had to juggle somewhat but my timeline follows:
*  6/02/2016 - bloods taken (7 vials of 5ml each ... I thought I'd been drained)
*  9/02/2016 - bariatrician (one hour, $250, Medicare rebate)
*  9/02/2016 - dietician (one hour, $120 PHI rebate)
*  9/02/2016 - received quote for all costs (total $5,300 approx.)
*  19/02/2016 - second doctor appointment (second opinion/confirmation, $200 Medicare rebate)
*  19/02/2016 - exercise physiologist session (one hour, $80)
*  17/03/2016 - start Optifast regime
*  24/03/2016 - pre-op surgeon appointment (one hour, $100)
*  24/03/2016 - pre-admin hospital appointment (one hour, free but need to pay PHI excess $500)
*  24/03/2016 - anaesthetist appointment (30 mins, $1895)
*  31/03/2016 - butterfly day!!  Surgery after 11am (all hospital expenses covered by PHI)

I've read "Skinny jeans ... at last" (online $16.95 through Booktopia) and I'm putting their suggestions into practice now so I'm hoping the transition will be easier.  I'm starting multivitamins (Elevit) and iron supplement tonight. 

I'll keep you (all) posted as my progress happens.
Back to top Go down
LeahTeneal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸   Sun 31 Jan 2016, 6:37 pm

Hey guys, thank you for your replys!
F2F,😊 wow yeah I know what you mean. They definitely all do it differently!
I am with Dr Padovan, I guess maybe he likes to see his patients in the beginning so he can decide if he wants to do the surgery or not.
I see him March, so would have to wait 10 more months after our meeting for the surgery!
I know it would go relatively fast, just wish I had 20k up my sleeve so I didn't have to wait haha! Oh well it will be worth the wait 100%, and it's so much cheaper if you wait for the PHI 12 month wait.🤔😊
Hey ginger chicken 😊 Our statistics are so similar! Can't wait to see how you lose and the time frame you do it in, congrats on getting your sleeve done. I'm so jealous. Good on you :-) and don't forgot to keep us updated on here hehe
I am so excited, even just for my first appointment.
Well, time to wait haha
😊😄
Back to top Go down
gingerchicken
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸   Sun 31 Jan 2016, 12:27 pm

Hi and welcome,

I concur with the others, no harm in getting everything in place early.... Even if you have to wait a while for it.

We have similar statistics..... My highest ever weight was 105kg at one point and I'm only 157cm in height. I was sleeved two weeks ago.... I know some have more than us to lose.... But on our little frames and because we are short.... I think it is all relative. Everyone has there own journey...... I found it good to watch those with similar starting points.

Hope your research and planning go well for you. Best wishes for you and your first appointment!

Ginger xx
Back to top Go down
Fat-to-Fit
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2016-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸   Sun 31 Jan 2016, 11:50 am

Hi Leah , I went to see the nurse at the clinic I went through about a year before I could have the surgery , as I had to wait 12 mths for PHI upgrade to kick in. She did the initial consultation , not the surgeon , and she booked all of my appointments in for the following year at that initial appt. I didn't actually meet the surgeon until after all the others , only weeks prior to surgery. All of the clinics seem to do things differently, though !
Back to top Go down
LeahTeneal

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸   Sun 31 Jan 2016, 12:18 am

Hi Lizzbeth,
Thankyou and welcome to you too 😊
Oh wow well here you go, Thankyou! Can't wait for mt first appointment, sucks I have to wait a little over a month but it's worth it.
This forum will keep me busy till then haha!
Haha I don't think I mind gory stuff but it's never been this close to home 😂
Hope everything is going well with your progress Lizz 😀
Back to top Go down
Lizzbeth

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸   Sat 30 Jan 2016, 11:09 pm

Hi Leah 🌸

Welcome! I'm new here too but have my sleeve date!!!

I have no idea about the Mac card but can tell you about the surgeons appointment. He/she will explain all the forms of biatric surgery available including their pros, cons and risks .. Mine used foam models and actual staples and lapband thingo etc. interest but a little TMI ... I don't hear gory stuff to well 😳

He asks lots of questions about previous dieting and successes/failures. Gave me blood test and X-ray orders and booked a date.

I say no harm in seeing the surgeon to chat even if possible PHI wait!

Good luck
Lizz xx
Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wb0B
LeahTeneal

Female

PostSubject: Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸   Sat 30 Jan 2016, 5:01 pm

Hello everyone I'm Leah and I'm new here!
I've been looking at the site for a few weeks now and finally am posting 😀
So I'm 21 years old. I'm from Perth, Western Australia
My current weight is 92kgs
How ever, I've been upto 103kgs at one point.
I am 159cms tall, so my goal weight would have to be around the 60kg mark!
So I want to loose roughly 32kgs! Wow.
I am just beginning my journey, by taking the first step and talking to my regular GP about WLS! I have been previously trying to diet with her help with little success, so she agreed and we both decided yes and to go with Dr Padovan. And she gave me a referral to see him.
I called him that afternoon and I am seeing him the 1st of March 2016.
Does anybody know what happens during the first appointment with the surgeon?
I'm so nervous 😮
Also, I only just took out health Insurance this month, so I would have to wait a whole year. Would the surgeon still book me in or tell me to come back later down the track.
Also am thinking about maybe just financing the money and paying full price. Has anyone heard of or used Mac Credit?

Thanks for reading guys! Hope you're all happy and well 🤗🤗
Leah xx
Back to top Go down

Leah's Journey ☺️🍌🌸
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: