View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carissa5984

Female
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brissie   Sun 08 Nov 2015, 1:54 am

KateyOverWeighty wrote:
I haven't looked that far ahead really but casually considering going overseas for it. Didn't know any PHI covered* cosmetic surgery... or does that not count as cosmetic? Might have to do some investigationing.

*I am aware that PHI doesn't really cover anything bar the hospital stay - hence 'hospital cover'. Learned that the hard way!
As far as I am aware, PHI doesn't cover cosmetic surgery, but at least it will cover the hospital stay when I get it done (if I get it done in Australia). I have considered getting it done overseas as well. One girl I follow is Simone Anderson and she has just had hers done in America - I'm not sure how much it would cost over there, but I would imagine it would be expensive!! I have looked at Thailand, but not sure if I would want to be confined to a plane for that amount of time - possibly would want to go business class... lots of things to consider.
Back to top Go down
KatyOverWeighty

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2015-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brissie   Sun 08 Nov 2015, 1:10 am

I haven't looked that far ahead really but casually considering going overseas for it. Didn't know any PHI covered* cosmetic surgery... or does that not count as cosmetic? Might have to do some investigationing.

*I am aware that PHI doesn't really cover anything bar the hospital stay - hence 'hospital cover'. Learned that the hard way!
Back to top Go down
Carissa5984

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brissie   Sun 08 Nov 2015, 12:56 am

I was putting it off because I wasn't really able to fit it in my budget.. but now I have it I can get my sleeve done... and I will keep it after I get the sleeve done so that I have it ready to go when I need to get my abdominoplasty etc done... and keep the tax man happy I guess...
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brissie   Sun 08 Nov 2015, 12:12 am

Kate, the PHI thing about making you wait is to stop people from joining, having the surgery etc they want, costing the PHI thousands of dollars and then leaving.

It makes economic sense to at least get 12 mths premium, with of course the fund hoping by then you will be in the habit of paying them and will stay, as many probably do.

It is all about the $$$$$$$$$

D'oh
Back to top Go down
KatyOverWeighty

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brissie   Sat 07 Nov 2015, 11:51 pm

It's bloody ironic - the PHI waiting period. Almost every person who gets this surgery has probably considered it for longer than they care to admit, weighing the pros and cons, trying everything else, making it ok to themselves and then their families & friends... They make the final decision to do it, get PHI and boom... another 12 month wait! It's like a little punishment from the insurance people: "This is what happens when you put things off". Jeez thanks mum!

What's funny to me too is that PHI usually don't cover pre-existing conditions so technically we would all have had to be healthy when we took the insurance out, then manage to hit obesity (morbid in my case) in 365 days. Pfft... And if they DIDN'T see it that way, why make us wait at all?

Oh the universe has its little jokes doesn't it!
Back to top Go down
Carissa5984

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brissie   Sat 07 Nov 2015, 11:30 am

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one weighting (I do like what you did there Katey!) for next year to hurry up! I may or may not have a countdown on my phone...117 days to go till my first appt! I am also going to a seminar run by WLSA next Thursday out at Varsity Lakes (I think). So that will be interesting to learn some information.

My surgery date won't be until November 2016 when my PHI kicks in unfortunately... unless I win the $70mil Powerball next week maybe... lol

I look forward to chatting with you more Katey and everyone else on here. From what I have read so far, everyone is very lovely and supportive which is nice :)
Back to top Go down
KatyOverWeighty

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Brissie   Sat 07 Nov 2015, 9:57 am

Yay someone else waiting til next year! I'm Brissie too, booked with Dr. Greenslade on April 5th... The weight is painful. Oh sorry I mean the wait!

My BMI is 49.6 and probably growing everyday... gah!

You'll find a lot of support here.. it's been great so far! You can start a March 2016 thread in the Sleevers Monthly but you might find it a bit lonely in there for a while, just like me in April 2016! But dive in everywhere else and get to know everyone.. :)

Nice to meet ya!
Back to top Go down
Carissa5984

Female

PostSubject: Newbie from Brissie   Sat 07 Nov 2015, 12:28 am

Hi!

I'm Carissa, a 31yo female from Brisbane. I currently have a BMI of over 50. For many years I have tried all sorts of different diets and pills and nothing seems to permanently keep the weight off. About three years ago, my best friend had the sleeve procedure done and has had incredible success with it!! She looks incredible now!!

I am working hard at a gym 5 days a week and eating well at the moment and during a 12 week challenge earlier this year, I lost 21 kilos. However, since then and last week, I had put 10 kilos back on because I wasn't taking control of how much I ate. Again. I am so sick of the yoyo weight. So decided to do a little more research about the sleeve that my best friend had done to aid the weight loss and keep it off.

I've booked a consult with Dr George Hopkins for the 3rd March (the earliest I could get in) as he is who my best friend went through originally. Has anyone else gone through him? Or can make any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Carissa
Back to top Go down

Newbie from Brissie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: