Newie here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darls69

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Newie here   Thu 08 Oct 2015, 6:02 am

I will definately keep that in mind.  I had also heard there was someone in Bundy that bulk billed.  If you can use super can hubby take some of his out?  I don't really have any super unfortunately.  Wow, it is really overwhelming
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Newie here   Thu 08 Oct 2015, 5:37 am

KateyOverWeighty wrote:
Of that, you'll get back around $1000 from Medicare and ur health fund's 'generous' contribution.
Keep in mind, it is common for your surgeon and anaesthetist to claim the medicare rebate on your behalf, meaning the fee you pay them = their total surgery cost minus the medicare rebate they will claim and keep.

This one was a shock to me, I was expecting some money back from medicare, but my claim was rejected and thats when I queried with the surgeon what happened.
Back to top Go down
KatyOverWeighty

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2015-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Newie here   Thu 08 Oct 2015, 5:26 am

...and to be considered Obese you have to have a BMI over 30. Sounds like a catch 22 to me.

But, its the surgeon that is the really expensive part. The anaesthetist (I can't spell it either) is fairly cheap in comparison. 

So if you have found a bulk-billing surgeon then you'll just need to find out if his Assistant Surgeon (it takes two of them) is also bulk billed.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Darls69

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newie here   Thu 08 Oct 2015, 4:44 am

That does help a lot Katey, thank you. I was told there will be a Surgeon who is going to be bulk billing here but the anaethatist (not good speller) will not bulk bill with a BMI over 30.  My Dr said to keep in touch with him and he will update me with the progress.  I am prepared to travel a bit to get the surgery done but we shall see how we go
Back to top Go down
KatyOverWeighty

Female
Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2015-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Newie here   Sun 04 Oct 2015, 1:42 pm

Hi Darlene :) I believe I can help you with that, having just done all the homework possible on the procedure!

It is very tricky, if not impossible, to get obesity surgery bulk-billed in Australia at the moment. You practically have to be on your death-bed with multiple compounding health-problems (approved ones that must be directly caused by your obesity) and even then... it would come down to the surgeon. It's very sad and may change but unfortunately thems the breaks!

My surgery is booked for April 2016 - 6 months away still! - because I got top hospital health cover to help me out. You gotta have the cover for 12 months though so hence why I have booked so far ahead. One thing I didn't realise is you can withdraw money from your super to pay for the surgery and you can do so even with private health.
My private health (top hospital, no extras) costs me around $135/month and my surgeon, assistant, anaesthetist bills come to around $5500 on top of that. Of that, you'll get back around $1000 from Medicare and ur health fund's 'generous' contribution.

My biggest lessons learnt were:
-Hospital cover only covers the hospital/theatre/nurses/post-op ward care - not the surgery.
-Some private hospitals (you have no choice, it must be private) won't take self-funded patients. Meaning even if you want to pay in full with cash (if you are that lucky), you still must have health insurance in case of complications.
-Shop around... I initially booked surgery with a surgeon in Brisbane charging $6500 then found my surgeon for $4500.... big difference!

Hope this helps...
Back to top Go down
Darls69

Female

PostSubject: Newie here   Sat 03 Oct 2015, 8:32 am

Hello everyone, my name is Darlene.  I am at the looking into stage of my journey.  I am 46 and weigh 111kg. Is anyone from Gladstone in Queensland?  I was wondering (doesn't have to be in Gladstone) if this procedure is bulk billed at all? If not, what are the costs involved?

Thanks  heaps

Darlene
Back to top Go down

Newie here
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: