View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sutika
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2015-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert :D   Sun 16 Aug 2015, 11:00 pm

Wow Jadzia you have really been in the wars. You are so welcome here and I really hope the surgery can help you on your journey.

Sutika xo

Back to top Go down
JadziaOz

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2015-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert :D   Sun 16 Aug 2015, 3:19 pm

Hi Lisa66, thanks for the welcome :)

I didn't feel crash hot until I got my thyroxine levels optimised (not just normal), but once I managed that, I feel pretty good. I still have tired days, but some days I have energy to spare. I am only 10.5 months post-thyroidectomy, but I have noticed some very good changes. My voice isn't as husky and gravelly as it was. I have no problem swallowing now, whereas I used to choke on the smallest mouthfuls prior to surgery. And I can now hit the high notes I used to as a teenager in the school choir, as well as all the low notes I adapted to with the goitre! My range is huge (not quite Mariah Carey high, but larger than most).

If you're still gaining weight, it actually indicates your thyroid levels are still in the hypothyroid range. If your doctor relies on TSH alone, or keeps telling you that "normal" is fine, get a new doctor. You need to have optimised levels for your body to function properly - and for most people, that means a low or completely suppressed TSH (under 1 is the goal), and T4 and T3 in the upper 5% of the reference range. If either T4 or T3 is lower than that, it is likely symptoms are still present. The goal is absence of symptoms, not "normal" readings, and weight gain is one of the more obvious symptoms :/  I'm in a fantastic support group on Facebook (ThyroidWA private group. If you're local to me, I can invite you - and the ThyroidWA website is full of awesome info) - if you're not local to me, the Stop The Thyroid Madness is insanely good, and they're out of the US - no need for an invite, it's an open group.

I've just posted in the September thread :) Thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert :D   Sun 16 Aug 2015, 3:03 pm

Hi JadziaOz and welcome!

I am a newbie too. I'm not sleeved yet - have my first surgeon's appointment in November. 

How are you feeling now you have ditched the thyroid? Are you on thyroxine? I too had a multi nodular goitre, and had a hemithyroidectomy in October last year. Apparently my thyroid levels are fine, (no meds) but I've gained 10 kilos since I was operated on!

Anyway, welcome aboard. It's great to have you here. You might like to check out the September slivers posts, seeing as you'll be at the same stage.
Back to top Go down
JadziaOz

Female
Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2015-08-16

PostSubject: Newbie Alert :D   Sun 16 Aug 2015, 2:29 pm

Hi, I'm JadziaOz, from Perth, Western Australia. Female, 44, married, no kids, three cats...

I am 17 days away from my sleeve after being obese my entire life.

My journey started when my rail-thin mother put me on my first diet at the age of three, after fat-shaming me while I was in hospital after having my tonsils out (she told the nurses I was too fat to get the jelly (jell-o) and ice cream the other seven kids in my ward were getting. I got beans on toast and soluble aspirin, which they made me drink and I regurgitated it all over my meal. I got nothing to eat at all because of that). She had me on meal replacements by the time I was 6, and her prescription appetite suppressants (not suitable for under 16's!) by the time I was 7. Weight Watchers by age 8, doctors, psychologists and eventually Overeaters Anonymous at 14.  My weight kept climbing. Diagnosed with PCOS at 17 after 9 years of agonising and heavy periods, I also developed gall bladder problems and had that removed at 18. Over the ensuing years, I tried everything - every fad diet that came along, every exciting new development in the field of obesity management, every new drug (except Xenical. With my coeliac disease it would have been a nightmare). I was at my wits' end

I repeatedly asked many doctors to test my thyroid, as I had a lot of symptoms, but every single one of them refused - most telling me to stop blaming my overeating on my thyroid - and two called me a hypochondriac to my face. After a lifetime of symptoms, and many other auto-immune diagnoses (I have diabetes/insulin insufficiency, PCOS, psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and coeliac disease), I finally got a new GP/PCP almost two years ago who listened and discovered I had a large multinodular goitre which was trying to strangle me from the inside - and Hashimoto's. Last October (2014) I had a total thyroidectomy, and once my thyroid hormone levels were optimised, I finally began losing small amounts of weight - for the first time ever. And as it turn out, I *DID* have hypothyroid symptoms that I could trace back to my childhood! I'd been right all along, and if someone had just listened back then, I more than likely could have avoided most of the health issues I've had my whole life - including my battle with obesity!

I had been on the waiting list for publicly (Medicare) funded weight loss surgery for 18 months when they found my goitre, and I had my initial consultation with the surgeon (Dr David Hock Kiong Yong, Joondalup Bariatric Centre, Perth WA) - who agreed to do my sleeve if he could (I have a lot of adhesions from many, many abdominal surgeries over the years). Then I had my thyroidectomy. And a few month later, I got my sleeving date. Now I am 17 days away from my sleeving (though there is a possibility I may come out with a band - or nothing at all if the adhesions are too bad). I start Optifast on Thursday this week.

I am excited at the prospect of having this amazing weight-loss tool at my disposal - a tool that will not only help me lose weight, but keep it off. I've been doing a lot of reading of people's stories, and learning as much as I can about how to make it work - especially with all the other issues I have to deal with and medications I have to take every day.

I am happy to be here, and I hope to get to know people here and keep learning, and sharing so that my personal experience might help someone else someday :) Thanks for providing this awesome place :)
Back to top Go down

Newbie Alert :D
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: