View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lisa66
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here :-)   Tue 11 Aug 2015, 11:11 am

Have done so already with no luck, FTF! Never mind! I think I just have to resign myself to the fact that I'm in for a long wait!

Good luck with your psych appt. I'm sure you'll be fine. You have solid reasons for wanting the surgery. I'd just be honest and I'm sure it'll all work out okay!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here :-)   Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:53 am

Sorry, can't help you there, Lisa, I'm in Eastern suburbs. I'm going to Darebin Weight Loss Surgery, my surgeon is Mr Aly, and he operates at Warringal Private - but I haven't even met hime yet - he's my last appt. Had the dietitian, got GP next week, psychologist Aug 27, then finally surgeon Sep 21. I only looked local, so I'm not famliar with anyone over that side. Plus, my SIL had already booked in with DWLS, so that's why I went with them (wasn't actually referred to Mr Aly, but booked in there anyway!) I wonder if you made a topic about it, whether anyone would be able to give you some suggestions ?
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here :-)   Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:15 am

I don't know about stand by because I can't even get in for an initial appointment until November!

Who is your surgeon and where are you being operated on? If I could find a surgeon this side of Melbourne - i.e. west - who operated either in the city or in the west I'd try them. so fat I've found DR Ian Michell in Richmond, but that's a long way from here (I actually live in Ocean Grove!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here :-)   Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:11 am

Hi Lisa
Good on you for making that decision! It is an interesting point you raise - that you wish you had done it sooner. This is part of my decision - I don't want it to go any further, and I really feel like it will. I have yo-yo'd up & down 20/25 kg and i just haven't been able to change a diet into a lifestyle, and it just gets harder with age (about to turn 46.....!!!)  I know how you feel re making the decision & just wanting to get going! I wonder if you could go on a standby list ?? 

Look forward to sharing the journey with you, too. 
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here :-)   Tue 11 Aug 2015, 10:03 am

Hi Fat-to-Fit,

I'm a newbie too - not one with a low BMI sadly! Just wanted to say I wish I'd made this decision years ago - before I ended up where I am now. I can't get in to see my surgeon until November 30. (i'm in Geelong!) Now that I've made up my mind I am desperate to get going!

Looking forward to sharing the journey with you.

Lisa :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another newbie here :-)   Tue 11 Aug 2015, 8:35 am

Thanks meggie1 . I am a bit stressed about the psych appt. Like I said, i understand that they can't just perform surgery without good reason, and they need to be sure that potential candidates fully understand the implications of what they're entering into, etc, but I thought I would almost be the ideal candidate!!! I've made a concerted effort a number of times, I'm obese, but not morbidly obese ( I thought that would mean 'safer' to operate on) I have high cholesterol, family history of heart disease and insulin related cancer. I've been doing what you said - trying to anticipate what questions the psych will ask and working out what answers they want to hear! I feel like it's 'playing the game', which I don't actually think I need to do. I feel confident that I have very valid reasons for having this surgery, and I am fully aware of the potential risks, and that it's not a miracle cure, but I feel like I need to be able to give the right answers to pass a test. Sorry for rambling, I just want to know it's going ahead & then I can focus on that!!! You are so close, meggie1 you lucky thing!!!! :-)
Back to top Go down
meggie1

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-07-24

PostSubject: stressed   Tue 11 Aug 2015, 7:41 am

Hi fat to fit, I know how you feel as a low BMi er, I didnt know whether I would be able to have the op,so stressed, couldnt sleep, and had in my head, all the questions and all the answers worked out, its awful,Im having mine done 24/8/15, all I can say is, keep busy and the time will go, good luck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Another newbie here :-)   Tue 11 Aug 2015, 5:01 am

Hi everyone, I am another newbie, booked in for the sleeve on Nov 13  (Friday 13th - lol, luck I'm not superstitious!!!) However, I am not guaranteed to be having the surgery as yet, because I am a "Low" bmi - 33, obese, I hardly call that low!!! I am a mum of 4 teens, and I have yo-yod up and down 20-25 kg numerous times in the last 18 years or so. I go to the gym 4 x p/w, but I'm losing this weight battle and I just ca't do it any more. I saw the practise nurse at Darebin Weight Loss about 11 months ago, and upped my PHI last November, so I have to wait for that to kick in. All my appointments were booked in back then , so i assumed I had 'qualified' and would just have to wait it out. I had my first appt the other day, with the dietitian, and she gave me quite a hard time. I understand that they want to be sure that you're sound of mind, and not looking for a quick fix, and that you meet various criteria, but I had expected more of that to come from the psychologist (which is on Aug 27) !!! I have had bloods and EcG done, and my cholesterol is high, and I have slightly fatty liver. I have also managed to gain another 8kg since that initial weigh in, so my BMI is now 33, which is obese !!! My GP appt is next week, then the psych, then I meet with the surgeon on Sep 21, and I know he is the one who makes the ultimate decision. It's doing my head in now, though!!! I just want to be told for sure that it's going ahead so I can prepare mentally, and just look forward to losing this fat and getting back to a healthy , fit me!!! Anyone else been through this ?? Anyone else had Mr Aly at dWLS ? I'm feeling really anxious!
Back to top Go down

Another newbie here :-)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: