View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StacyLema

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 27 Jul 2015, 10:31 am

Hello

Am considering having a sleeve gastrectomy and seeing surgeon tomorrow. A bit nervous as not sure how long the whole process takes be4 surgery date. Any advice? Am ready mentally and need to sort out the financial aspect. I have full health fund but there is gonna be some out of pocket expense, so wanted to know if it will be difficult using some of my super for that as have no savings at present.
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2015-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 27 Jul 2015, 8:05 am

Hi to all,

Just thought I would add my 2cents worth in what was most helpful to me and helped me confirm that I was making the correct decision for myself.

I thought talking to those people face to face who had already gone through the the sleeve may be a helpful. So I joined the forum and asked in the Sleevers get together section if anyone who had already had the sleeve or even thinking of having the op would be interested in meeting me for coffee to have a talk. It was so nice to be able to meet them in person and it really concreted my decision after talking to them. It's just another way of researching and many questions can be answered that you may not even think of asking sometimes. So maybe you would like to arrange a meeting in your area. There is also the Gastric Sleever Support FB page. Not being a big FB fan I had no idea that existed in the early stages.
Back to top Go down
MrsFroggie1970

Female
Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2015-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Sun 26 Jul 2015, 4:41 am

Hi Kristy,
I'm another Brisbane girl and was sleeved on June 26 at the Wesley by Dr Blair Bowden who is just awesome!
Mrs Froggie1970
Surgery 22/7/15
Starting weight 150kg
Pre-surgery weight 141.1kg – down 8.9kg
1 week post –op 5/7/15 134.3kg – 6.8kg down
2 weeks post op 12/7/15 130.5 kg – 3.8kg down
3 weeks post-op 19/7/15 130.1 kg – 0.4kg down
4 weeks post-op 26/7/15 128.3kg – 1.8kg down

21.7kg lost since the start of my adventure.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1257
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:41 pm

Hi Kristy,

I am from Brisbane too. 9 months out and 40kg down and feeling really positive.  You might be feeling like you want it NOW!!! but it can be good to have a bit of time to do some research etc. before your PHI kicks in next year. I would recommend doing a lot of Googling (for info), Google image searching (for inspiration), checking out Youtube videos, looking at surgeons websites and reading blogs (even sending personal messages to people to ask questions) to find out as much as you can about the surgery, the pre-op and post-op diets, and about the surgeons you are interested in.  All of this because, despite the possible best outcomes that come from this surgery (and boy do I feel lucky to feel like I am achieving them) there are also risks with this surgery and therefore feeling armed with as much info as possible and choosing the best surgeon you can will give you as much control over the process as possible. Can you tell I'm a control freak? LOL!

Personally, I went through Dr Greenslade who is at Greenslopes, but my other top pick was Dr Hatzifotis, also in Greenslopes.  I know there are a lot more great surgeons around too though so just do your research and make sure you are happy with your decision.  Your GP may also recommend someone for you.

Anyway, you will find this site an ahh-mazing source of information and support.  Welcome aboard!

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:20 pm

Hi Kristy,

Welcome to the site. Of all the groups I belong to, I find this one to be the most supportive. Try the search button at the top of the page and type in anything you want to know about, chances are someone has asked about it or posted about it before. If not just ask your own question in the appropriate section ( or anywhere really someone will answer it, lol) Check out the diary section and the photo gallery for some inspiration.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
BellaO

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2015-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 12:06 pm

Welcome Kristy. I have been on the forum just over a week. I found it very helpful. I will be meeting my surgeon tomorrow for the first time. On the site I found a helpful link to a YouTube video. They are The Pound of Cure Diet by Dr Matthew Weiner. He has many videos on questions you might have this Gastric Sleeve surgery diet exercise. They have very good information and answered many questions I had. Good luck on making your chose.
B
Back to top Go down
Angel@heart

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:10 am

Wow Thankyou guys x x have had a good read on the site today and am feeling a lot more positive about my decision. This is something I have been considering for about 5 years now, and I get cranky that I am still in the same position I was 5 years ago, I could be already 5 years into this journey! Fear is great at holding us back !!
Back to top Go down
Joybells
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:56 am

Debstar, thanks so much for the encouragement. I had to do 6 weeks of a modified opti fast diet before my op and I am now so glad I did as it certainly paid off with a great head start on the weight loss. 
It's been a bit slower this week but still happy as its giving my head time to catch up. My brain sort of can't keep up to how much I have lost.
Good luck for your own journey. We are all unique but heading to better health and happiness.
Back to top Go down
Debstar

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2015-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:46 am

Joy bells that is an amazing loss in 9 weeks. Hope all progresses just as amazingly.      
Back to top Go down
Joybells
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:39 am

Hi angle,
You have come to the right place to help sort out your feelings and fears. Most of us have been through the same feelings and taken our time to research through the posts and ask our questions before we settled on who and where and when we were in the right head place to make this big decision.
If you take the time to get it right you will be able to go ahead with this big change and cope with the commitment that is required for the rest of your life.
Only you can decide if it's for you. 
I was sleeved 3 weeks ago in Adelaide and I have no regrets as I did my research and felt I had made a very informed decision. I did feel anxious at times but put my trust in a very good surgeon and I came through with no pain or problems. I don't regret my decision as I have lost 18kgms over the last 9 weeks. Could never have achieved this alone. 
All the best and hope you find the support you need on this site.
Back to top Go down
Debstar

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2015-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 8:37 am

Hi angel@heart welcome to the forum where you will find a wealth of knowledge and support. I have learned so much about the gastric sleeve procedure and what to expect short term and long term. This is also my first forum but I think I have it worked out. I am a mum of 3 grown children, 2 step children 1 of which still lives at home and a foster mum of 5 wonderful children and a grandmum of 1 and 1 on the way and last but not least my big child my husband lol he is wonderful. My husband worries something might go wrong but is  supportive Nonetheless. When he sees me reading the forum he always asks what are they saying. Hmmm I have raved a little. Anyway best of luck in your quest for information and a surgeon. My surgeon is Dr Mark Daoud from greenslopes and having my surgery at sunnybank private.
Back to top Go down
Angel@heart

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-07-06

PostSubject: Newbie Alert..!!!    Mon 06 Jul 2015, 7:33 am

hi everyone, this is a big step for me not only am i deciding to make this life changing step but also starting on my first ever forum !
I just hope I have posted this in the correct section!
A little about me im in Queensland, im 36 have 2 Amazing kids, and an amazing husband to support me on this journey. I have not picked my surgeon or what im having done as yet altho I don't want the band.
I hope this site and you amazing people will help make this all a little clearer for me.
Cheers Kristy
Back to top Go down

Newbie Alert..!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: