WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1257
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: New and Freaking out!   Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:36 am

Hi Ruby and welcome,

Firstly congratulations on your decision to be sleeved. It is a big decision so very natural for loved ones and friends to worry about you. Heck! Most of us worry about ourselves when leading up to the big day so I'm sure they are just feeling like we do, but with a lot less control over what happens, lol.

I am a teacher and had my sleeve at the beginning of the September school holidays last year. I then took the 2 weeks of holidays plus an extra week of long service leave for recovery. So 3 weeks off altogether.  Ideally another week would have been good but I managed.  I would write off the first week for sure, but if you work for yourself at home and it's nothing strenuous (as you said), you should be able to do a few things here and there from the second week as you can pace yourself, have breaks, etc. Energy levels will be low for quite a few weeks though, or were in my case.

I would like to qualify my post with the fact that we are all different and my advice is based on my own experience. Your initial starting weight, other health concerns, etc. may mean you recover differently from me. I have heard of many similar recoveries on this site though, and even some people who have bounced back faster than me, as well as just a few people who have needed a more TLC and bed rest following the surgery.

Anyway, best wishes with it all,
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2014-09-25

PostSubject: Re: New and Freaking out!   Thu 02 Jul 2015, 11:12 am

Hi Ruby and welcome! 

It's perfectly normal to be freaking out as you've signed on for major surgery! Everyone has a different experience and like already mentioned, it's not always good as things can go wrong.

I can only talk about my experience though and it's been really positive. I had some nausea immediately post op but that stopped by about day 2, and I had very little pain. I was up and about walking the next day albeit a little gingerly and haven't looked back. I do tend to have a depressive reaction to anaesthetics so my mood was low for a week or so, and I had very little energy for several weeks but that very quickly bounced back once I started eating again! Those first few weeks can be a bit rough but for me, I'm thrilled with the results and my only regret is not having it done sooner.

Do you have specific concerns or is just all a bit overwhelming?
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TheQuirkyQuaintrelle
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: New and Freaking out!   Wed 01 Jul 2015, 12:58 pm

Hey Ruby,

The monthly groups are a really great place to look through to get an idea of what people are going through. My suggestion would be to go have a read through some of the past months (I was a March sleever) and also introduce youself to your July group, they should be a great support😊 check out the diarys and the pre op/post op/complications sections.

Being nervous is normal and you can get Sleevers remorse just like buyers remorse.

Think about who the people are that are telling you it will be bad, what is 'ages' etc, where is this advice coming from? Is it coming from someone who knows about this procedure, like a medical professional or someone has had a complication? There are risks with this surgery and educating youself about these risks by talking to your surgeon and looking at reputable scientific data is important. The risks of complications for this surgery are low in comparison to some and lots of Sleevers will go through surgery complication free but as you will find complications can and have happened to people on this forum. It's important to know what you're signing yourself up for.

If it's coming from someone who does not know about the procedure why are they saying this? It could be that they are concerned for your well being. Or they knew someone who had WLS and had a hard time. Last but not least you taking this step could be forcing them to look at themself.

Yes I felt tired, sore and sorry for myself while I was recovering but it was all to be expected and it's not the same as being sick. I was pretty much back to normal by 8 weeks out.

I don't regret getting my sleeve, I'm really glad I did it. Welcome and I hope that you find the info and support that you need

Back to top Go down
ruby123

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-07-01

PostSubject: New and Freaking out!   Wed 01 Jul 2015, 11:46 am

Hi all, I have booked and paid for my sleeve on the 15th no and I am panicking!  Everyone keeps telling me how bad it is, how sick I will be and how I wont be able to work for ages.  I work for myself so I will have a light workload.  Please give me info!
Back to top Go down

New and Freaking out!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: