View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GW

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2014-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone    Wed 24 Jun 2015, 3:57 am

Hi Tracey

I posted not long ago about the strangeness of being smaller than I have been for years.  I have identified so strongly with the number on the scale that I have had some difficulty getting used to the fact that it is going down now, and I am still the same person with the same insecurities.  However, it is mostly fun and exciting, buying new clothes, getting compliments and generally feeling more healthy and able to live life.  I hope you find the journey as enjoyable as I am finding it.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone    Wed 24 Jun 2015, 3:40 am

Hi Bellao,

I was almost 52 when I had my Sleeve and it is a big adjustment and learning curve. As you lose weight there will be a discrepancy between how you think you look and how you really look. It's called body dysmorphia. Your brain will still see your body as big and it will take a long time for your body image to catch up with the reality of losing weight. This is why a lot of people say this is a mental journey as much as a physical one. Issues such as not knowing what clothes suit you now that you have lost weight or feeling vulnerable because in some ways our weight was a buffer against the world. It's a case of finding out how you now fit into the world as the new you. A lot of people find that seeing a psychologist for counselling helps to navigate to a happier, healthier you.

In regard to the pain while swallowing it can be caused by oesophogeal spasm or due to the swelling in the stomach. This takes a while to go down and that's the main reason why most surgeons have their patients on clear fluids for the first few days and then onto fluids for 2 weeks after surgery. If you are adding berries to your drinks then your surgeon must not be as strict as most. These are usually left until the soft or normal stage as the little seeds and skins can be difficult for the stomach to digest to begin with. Make sure you have very small sips so that the fluids don't stretch the oesophogus and stomach too much. Also are you on a anti-reflux medication? Reflux can cause pain and is very common after this surgery. 

Hopefully you will be feeling much better in the next week as things start to heal and settle down,

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
BellaO

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2015-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone    Wed 24 Jun 2015, 3:17 am

Hi Tracey. Welcome. Unfortunately I have not done my op yet but I have been following the June sleevers and it might help to introduce yourself there. They speak a lot about nutrition. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
BellaO

Female
Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone    Wed 24 Jun 2015, 3:17 am

Hi Tracey. Welcome. Unfortunately I have not done my op yet but I have been following the June sleevers and it might help to introduce yourself there. They speak a lot about nutrition. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone    Wed 24 Jun 2015, 3:15 am

Hi Tracey,

congrats on your surgery! It's very normal to have those feelings - I think most of us here have been large for most, if not all of our adult lives so the prospect of it being so different a year down the track is certainly unknown and scary! Luckily though, it does happen gradually so we can get used to the idea as we go!

As for your post op questions, we all have such different experiences and I urge you to join the June sleevers group where you will find a great bunch of people who are all going through this stage at the same time.

good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sutika
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone    Wed 24 Jun 2015, 2:59 am

Hi Tracey

I haven't had the sleeve yet so hopefully others will be able to answer your questions.

Just wanted to say hello and welcome, and well done on doing so well on day four :)

Take care!
Sutika
Back to top Go down
Tracey62

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-06-23

PostSubject: Hi everyone    Tue 23 Jun 2015, 7:47 am

Hi, I'm new to forum & 4 days post op & feel pretty good. Im 52yo & have been large all my life. Totally looking forward the new me but having weight issues all my life I'm not sure what it's going to be like being normal & I'm kinda scared but so excited at the same time. Is this a normal thought or am I crazy. Also I'm not sure if I'm having enough or to much food. I'm sipping water all day & am having 1 optifast a day. I have 1 cup in morning that takes me about 1/2 hour to drink (this morning I put a few frozen berries in. Then at lunch I have the left over with a few teaspoons of yogurt. Dinner- home made pea & ham soup (blended & then strained) about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. I'm not sure if I've eaten too little or too much. But every day is another kg & I feel OK so do I keep going as I am. Also most times I drink or eat I get a sharp pain. It only last a second & then goes. Is this normal. I presumed it was just whatever I had entering my stomach & because of recency of op my stomach is still raw. Glad to be here. Tracey
Back to top Go down

Hi everyone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: