Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Share | 

Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Candy

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2015-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Fri 22 May 2015, 5:40 am

Millie75 wrote:
Lmw93579 wrote:
Hi Millie,

I was from tamworth originally, now living in Sydney. I would suggest you look at Newcastle or Sydney for a surgeon. I know of a few people in Tamworth who have had it done but I'm not sure where/who.

I had my op done at St George Private Hospital in Kogarah with Dr Kuzinkovas. He was great and the hospital was really nice. I'm recovering well and feeling great with no complications.

Thank you Lmw, I appreciate your feedback. I will research Dr Kuzinkovas and my travel options to Sydney.

I'm so glad you are recovering well it gives me more courage to hear that, im a little nervous about the whole thing at this stage.
i'm nervous too Millie,  I have had bi-lateral knee replacements but was not as nervous as I am about this.  So you and I are in the same boat but I think you are probably younger than I am and just think of what you can look forward to in your new skin and life ahead when you have lost the weight. You will be fantastic! You will have so much more energy, there will be no stopping you. and  I hope I will be too.
Back to top Go down
Millie75

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Fri 22 May 2015, 5:33 am

Rob54 wrote:
Hi Millie,

Welcome to the forum. 

I don't know of any surgeons up your way but it you plan on coming to Sydney for your sleeve Dr Michael Crawford is one top surgeon who operates at RPA and Mater Hospitals.  He was recommended to me by several nurses and some of their families that have had the sleeve or band done by him.  You will find others mentioned within the posts here.  

If you would like to attend a seminar, Royal North Shore hospital at Crows Nest have one one each month, I actually attended the seminar last night, although I had already chosen my surgeon and I was not intending go to RNS it was good to sit and hear what the surgeon had to say about the procedure, and what they had to offer there.   It really would be beneficial to you to attend one of those nights if you can since you are just starting the research.  You will find many other surgeons names by reading the posts on the forum.  

If you google the gastric sleeve you can find lots of videos on the procedure and you can also google the doctors names to find out more about them.   There are lots of US videos and a lot of people from the US but it is possible to find Australians that are making videos too.  

I wish you good luck!

Hi Rob,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I will check the videos out and do some more research into surgeons and travel arrangements to Sydney.

Its very overwhelming at this stage however the more I research it the more convinced i am that its the right move for me and my future.
Back to top Go down
Millie75

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Fri 22 May 2015, 5:29 am

Lmw93579 wrote:
Hi Millie,

I was from tamworth originally, now living in Sydney. I would suggest you look at Newcastle or Sydney for a surgeon. I know of a few people in Tamworth who have had it done but I'm not sure where/who.

I had my op done at St George Private Hospital in Kogarah with Dr Kuzinkovas. He was great and the hospital was really nice. I'm recovering well and feeling great with no complications.

Thank you Lmw, I appreciate your feedback. I will research Dr Kuzinkovas and my travel options to Sydney.

I'm so glad you are recovering well it gives me more courage to hear that, im a little nervous about the whole thing at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Fri 22 May 2015, 4:50 am

Hi Millie and everyone watching,

Here is the video I was talking about.  Please pass it on to family and friends, I thought it would help explain it to others who have not had to deal with a weight problem and don't understand why we have chosen to have WLS. 

I found the video here, it was a bit hidden on the website but called and was immediately sent the correct link by Samantha at the hospital she was a great help. 

http://www.northshoreweightlosssurgery.com.au/obesity-explained.html
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Fri 22 May 2015, 3:35 am

I will let you all know if I find it.
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Fri 22 May 2015, 2:20 am

Hmmm that sounds very interesting!

I'd like to see that video too if you track it down!
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Fri 22 May 2015, 12:28 am

Oh, I think maybe we are talking about 2 different videos.  The one I would like to find is an animated video with a hand drawing the cartoon type drawings of a woman.  It's about how we put on weight and why we can't loose it what happens to our bodies and what our brain registers to try and keep us at the weight it thinks we should be due to the yo yo dieting. I have found others but can't find the particular one they used. I might email them and see if I can find out.
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 11:02 pm

It's on this page if it still doesn't work

http://www.northshoreweightlosssurgery.com.au/surgery.html
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 10:47 pm

Thank you but the link doesn't work for me It says the content is not available, maybe it's just my iPad I will try on my computer.
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 10:14 pm

IS it this one?

http://www.ypo.education/c-NzMzOTIw/bariatrics/sleeve-gastrectomy-t200/video/?embed=1

It was on the surgeons' website.
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 1:30 pm

Totoro wrote:
No need for credit!! Although, was the seminar at the public RNS or North Shore Private? (On the same site)

I've never seen Steve although I hear he is also very good.  Were there many people there? My seminar was very well attended and I wonder how many people went on to have the surgery.

I didn't take my husband! I went with my Dad who was also interested in the surgery.
It was at NOrth Shore Private. It was a very full room. I would say around 40 people. I also wonder how many went ahead to have the surgery.

Did you get to see an animated video?
Do you have any idea how to find that animated video that was shown?  Steve said it was opticon I think, one of the medical companies they use.  Not sure if that's the correct name or spelling. But he asked if anyone had seen it online already so it must be out there just can't find it.
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 12:57 pm

Hi Millie,

Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 10:55 am

No need for credit!! Although, was the seminar at the public RNS or North Shore Private? (On the same site)

I've never seen Steve although I hear he is also very good.  Were there many people there? My seminar was very well attended and I wonder how many people went on to have the surgery.

I didn't take my husband! I went with my Dad who was also interested in the surgery.
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 10:16 am

Totoro wrote:
Hi Rob, was Garett presenting last night?
Hi Totoro,

No it was Steven Leibman.  I'm so sorry, I should have given you credit for putting me onto that presentation, thank you so much for letting me know of the seminar is was good, although I already knew most of what happens it was good to listen also to other peoples questions.  Unfortunately, I think I would have been better just going by myself.  My husband can't process what I will be going through.  He thinks the excess skin can be fixed with exercise, I try to explain but he just doesn't get it! I get exhausted trying to explain things to him, I really think I should be a lot thinner with all this exertion, lol,  but it was for better or for worse and in sickness and health!

Last edited by Rob54 on Fri 22 May 2015, 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SammySleever
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 9:20 am

Hi Rob, was Garett presenting last night?
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 8:35 am

Hi Millie,

Welcome to the forum. 

I don't know of any surgeons up your way but it you plan on coming to Sydney for your sleeve Dr Michael Crawford is one top surgeon who operates at RPA and Mater Hospitals.  He was recommended to me by several nurses and some of their families that have had the sleeve or band done by him.  You will find others mentioned within the posts here.  

If you would like to attend a seminar, Royal North Shore hospital at Crows Nest have one one each month, I actually attended the seminar last night, although I had already chosen my surgeon and I was not intending go to RNS it was good to sit and hear what the surgeon had to say about the procedure, and what they had to offer there.   It really would be beneficial to you to attend one of those nights if you can since you are just starting the research.  You will find many other surgeons names by reading the posts on the forum.  

If you google the gastric sleeve you can find lots of videos on the procedure and you can also google the doctors names to find out more about them.   There are lots of US videos and a lot of people from the US but it is possible to find Australians that are making videos too.  

I wish you good luck!
Back to top Go down
Millie75

Female

PostSubject: Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!   Thu 21 May 2015, 6:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I am only just at the very start of my journey and don't really know where to begin. I live in Tamworth NSW and as far as I know there are no surgeons performing Gastric Sleeve surgery here.

I'm guessing I will need to visit a GP for a referral before I can do anything at this stage however I am wondering if someone could recommend a surgery/surgeon that can help me get started?

This is a wonderful site for anyone considering gastric sleeve, its so refreshing reading all the open and honest posts from you all.

Thanks for your time.
Back to top Go down

Just starting to reserch Gastric Sleeve Surgery and need help!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: