Sudden Decision

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Candy

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2015-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Sudden Decision   Fri 15 May 2015, 9:00 am

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and support. †I understand what you are saying about the cravings and no I don't think that the sleeve will stop cravings. †I know however that I must do this to lose weight to help with my health issues so I think this will be the best thing for me to control the portions of food. †I am going ahead with the operation I will make this work I am becoming more determined, I want to be slimmer and healthier. †I know if I can lose the excess weight I will not have so much pain.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Sudden Decision   Fri 15 May 2015, 8:15 am

Hi Rob54

I am now almost 8 months out from the surgery and pretty close to your age. Please do not rely on the sleeve to stop cravings cause it doesn't in all cases.

What it does do, well at least for me, is make me more determined if I slip to pick myself up and get going right away, not 5, 10 or 15kgs later.

I can't exercise due to arthritis †and chronic pain but have still managed to lose a lot of weight, some before and more after the surgery.

Do not choose the sleeve if you think it is a magic cure, it is a tool and you will need to watch what you eat, but it helps with portion control.

Before I had the surgery I wrote down the pros and cons and for me the pros won the day hands down.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it might be.
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Sudden Decision   Fri 15 May 2015, 5:26 am

Hi Rob54,

Way to go with your treadmilling, even if you're not doing much or going fast it's still moving! †You've still got time to do more research and read around the forum before your sleeve date...the more info you can take in the better.

Best of luck with it all :)

Cheers, DayleD

PS. Just please be aware, the sleeve isn't the be all and end all for cravings. †Many, many people still have the same cravings and issues as before surgery. †I'm a chocoholic, and still am 10 months down the track. †No taste bud changes for me and it still requires strength and willpower not to indulge...and now that I can eat larger amounts...overindulge. Your friend is extremely lucky, as I would say the majority of sleevers would say this isn't the case.
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Sudden Decision   Fri 15 May 2015, 12:16 am

Hi Rob54,

I too made a sudden decision. I had a very short time to make the decision and I agonised over whether I should "wait for the right time" because of my job and the money but my partner finally put it into perspective by saying in a year from now or two years from now there will always be something, what's actually stopping you! I found out about the surgery in Feburary from a friend, three weeks later I had an appointment with the surgeon and two weeks after that I was sleeved!

I am now 7weeks post op and it has absolutely changed the way I relate to food. So far I've lost 14kg on my journey and I have had a great recovery. Don't get me wrong it has not been easy and I have days where I wonder if it was the right decision (I definitely struggled before and after the op emotionally) but I can't believe the difference in how I feel about eating.

As far as the cravings go I have tried a few things since I got the okay to go back on solids and I don't necessarily like the same foods anymore. I missed Easter so I tried part of a Lindt bunny as a treat, a couple of bites but that was enough and I didn't want anymore. I also tried some crust pizza but only ended up eating the topping as I just don't really like the bread anymore. I find myself making better decisions about food because I know I can only fit a small amount in and I want to both enjoy it plus know I'm getting the proper nutrition.

Wish you all the best for your op and hope everything goes great!
Back to top Go down
Candy

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2015-05-13

PostSubject: Sudden Decision   Thu 14 May 2015, 5:01 am

Hi everyone,

This is going to be a long one I fear, so you may get bored but I hope not as I need all the help I can get!† Iíve been hesitant about posting here but here goes

I am 61 and live in the Hills District of Sydney, married and have 2 daughters, they are both married now with their own families.†

I booked my sleeve date 25/6/15, this was a rushed decision and now I am feeling really scared and overwhelmed. †

I know I have to do something but Iím not in the motivated state I was in a fewyears ago when I lost 45kg down from 150kg. †I'm now 125kg, I'm heading the wrong direction again, I can't seem to get back into that frame of mind to get more weight off, I start out ok in the morning but after lunch it all goes downhill and I want to eat sweet things. †

I find it hard to lose now too because I can't walk as well anymore after knee surgery in 2010, so I donít exercise. †I managed to lose the weight before my first left knee replacement which then didn't work out well for me and since then have had that knee replacement done 3 times and the right knee replacement once. †After the 1st knee was done my back also became a problem and I found out I have severe scoliosis, I now need a walking frame or walking stick most of the time. †Having this surgery will help with my back and knees †but still I am very worried about having the surgery, I guess because I know there will be no going back. †My GP is all for me having the op, he wanted me to have it a few years ago but at that time I just didn't feel up to it after all that I had been through, I feel I just should be in a more motivated state and wonder if any of you felt the same way prior to your sleeve. †

I was at a family function a few weeks ago and my niece was telling me how she cant wait for her sleeve date to roll around, she has to wait as she has recently had the band removed, her husband also had the sleeve done. They started telling me about it and said if I did want to look into it to see Dr Michael Crawford at Nth Sydney, they said he was one of the best and operates at RPA and has been on the TV program RPA, he also operates at the Mater at Nth Sydney. †So within a week after seeing my GP I have now booked my surgery for the same date as my niece. †My GP was happy to give me a referral to see him and said if he operates at RPA and Mater her must be good. †I've seen the Dietician Di Munns and now have a pre op date with them both also. †I know I can change any of this and I know you are going to tell me if I'm not sure to wait but I do think it is the right thing to do for my knees and back.† Iím just feeling really overwhelmed. † †

I just wish I could have had this done when I was in my 20s. †As most of you say I've tried all the other methods, even being put in hospital in my late teens on 3 meals a day of 1 glass of orange juice each meal, and of course that weight was gained again very quickly.†
I started gaining weight when I was about 10 yrs old and I do think that is when my under active thyroid problems started but only discovered when I was in my late 30s, I was just so tired all the time but once I got my medication under control and I lost so much weight over the two years prior to my knee surgery in 2010 I was able to reduce the medication. †I feel like I've told you my whole life story but now you know why I have rushed to make this† decision for the sleeve. †I've been reading a lot of the posts here and have not yet found one where anyone is unhappy with their decision but as I said I'm just really scared I won't cope. †I don't enjoy cooking because I canít stand very long with the pain in my back and then there is the problem of me being a chocoholic, I can't seem to leave it alone, I'm ok till after lunch then I start wanting sweet things. †A friend who had the sleeve about 12 months ago she has since lost 70kg. She said it takes the cravings for chocolate and sweets away too so hopefully I will not want to each chocolate anymore. †

†We also bought a treadmill the other day I am not too bad walking if I can hold on to something so thought this will be the best way of getting my exercise. †Thanks†for listening hope you all can help me get in the right head space, I just didn't realise I was going to do it so fast and if†I wait I will†probablywish†had done it earlier.†
Back to top Go down

Sudden Decision
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: