nickers

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2014-11-07

PostSubject: Re: 1 week out post-op newbie   Thu 14 May 2015, 3:58 am

LOVE your avatar Lainey!  
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1 week out post-op newbie   Thu 14 May 2015, 3:50 am

Wow congratulations! 19kg so far is spectacular!!! Sometimes we don't notice our own weight loss very much - maybe focus on doing measurements? I'll be weighing myself each week plus doing measurements on my upper arms, bust, waist, hips and upper thighs :) Glad to hear how well you are doing and how soon it was before you were able to drink a litre of water! I hope mine goes the same way
Back to top Go down
Lainey92

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: 1 week out post-op newbie   Wed 13 May 2015, 3:03 pm

Hi Lmw93579!

Thank you so much for your reply & advice.
I too had Dr Kuzinkovas! =) he was great.. visited me everyday except the Friday because he was in Campbelltown then. 
Yep I had to water down my optifast today.. it was just too thick. Can't wait till the 2 months finish!!! 

Have a lovely rest of the week & good luck on your journey :D 

x
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: 1 week out post-op newbie   Wed 13 May 2015, 7:56 am

Hi Lainey,

I'm 7weeks post op now and I also had my op at St George private. I found the experience there was really good, everyone was really nice! Who was your surgeon? I had Dr Kuzinkovas.

I am 31 and started at 101kg pre optifast (157cm tall), so far I have lost 14kg. I'm in a similar place with the water, still can't manage it plain. With my incisions pain etc I used a stick on bra for the first week (which was not very supportive but waaaaay more comfy) then I was ok after that, I am finally sleeping on either side comfy again. A quick tip for the optifast I went back to it straight away but only used half a packet per serve so it was much thinner. I'm allowed to try all foods now, though I have found I don't like certain things I used to like, have been sticking mainly to protein + veggies and avoiding carbs/sugars

Good luck with everything and you will start to feel better soon! It feels like forever but each day is an improvement, the 2months it took me to get back to almost normal feels like it's flown by now
Back to top Go down
Lainey92

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: 1 week out post-op newbie   Tue 12 May 2015, 2:20 pm

Hi all!
My name is Lainey, and I was recently sleeved last Tuesday (05/05/15), making today exactly 1 week post-op. I researched bariatric surgery for about maybe 2 and a half years before I decided to go through with it. I found the 2 week Optifast pre-op diet really hard, and several times I found myself mourning food and having several food funerals (I know.. ridiculous lol). I actually didn't eat the whole day before the Surgery.. which I know is stupid but in my mind, I saw it as a sort make up for the cheats I did during the 2 weeks I was meant to be on Optifast. I did tell my Surgeon and he was aware, but he said he was fine with it. Despite my cheats, I was pleasantly suprised to find I had lost 5 kg. My original weight when I first had my consultation was 165kg. When it was surgery day, I was 160kg. 
So everything was fine to go ahead. On the day I went in, I took my parents, my sister & my partner. My best girl friend came in to visit me later that day. Oh, I had my surgery in St George Private Hospital btw, in Kogarah. Soooo, surgery time came. I was so nervous but kept assuring myself that I could always cancel or walk away so I was in control. I was blessed to have two nurses come up to me, and say that they too had had the Gastric Sleeve done and it had changed/saved their lives. They showed me before pics and assured me that I had chosen the right path. What a wonderful pair! I was so grateful. 
When they wheeled me into the OR, I was calm. They had a bit of trouble finding a vein so they put me on happy gas. I felt a little drunk and that was my last thought. 

When I woke up, I was half knocked out. I was shocked to hear someone say "Lainey.. wake up, your surgery is over and it went fine." What the?! It felt like it had only been 15-20 min.  I struggled to open my eyes so gave in fell asleep again, although I could hear nurses calling my name and squeezing my hands. I also heard them say I was unconscious lol the only time I actually did move and open my eyes was for this terrible dry heaving. I felt like I was vomiting but nothing was coming up. I think on a scale of 1-10, my pain was a 9. The stomach was sore, but the stitches werent. Luckily, I had glue across each cut so no dressings. 

Anyway, I spent 4 days in hospital, being discharged on Friday after I drank 1 litre on Thursday. I was so happy to go home! As nice as it was to have nurses look after you etc., there's nothing like being home. The things I experienced the first couple of days, was heartburn/acid reflux! In hospital, it was like very 5 min...it came less frequently as the days went on. Right now, Day 7, it's about every couple of hours or so. I'm hoping after a few weeks, it will go away entirely. I'm religiously taking my discharge medication and I think it does help the heart burn. It's like  terrible tightness in your chest, and it burns for about a few seconds before passing. Another thing to note, I have not had a bowel movement the past 7 days. I don't if that's any cause for alarm, considering there's not much in my stomach to even create a bowel movement(in my uneducated opinion lol) but I think if by the end of the week I haven't had a bowel movement, I'll head to the chemist. I did get advised to buy "Lactulose" but all the chemist's and pharmacies I've been to, don't sell it. Anyone know where I can get it from?
Apart from that, I've basically just copied my hospital diet at home. 
For breakfast, I have a bit of yoghurt watered down, (still yum) & some diet cordial. 
For lunch, I have diet cordial, some soup, a bit of diet custard.
For Dinner, soup & diet cordial.
Starting this week, I'll be starting up Optifast again.. I wasn't too confident last week because it is a little bit thick, but I think I'll be starting again tomorrow.
 I cannot stomach water.. it just goes down too hard so I've been drinking Diet Cordial all the time. When my family eat, my eyes and nose are really craving what they're eating, but my stomach isn't hungry. I get bored and think I want to eat, and I get really tempted - but the thought of ripping my stomach open or leaking or going in for more surgery, is enough to stop me. 
I have one more week of these fluids & then soft foods!!! You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to having an egg! Just chewing on something will seem heavenly! :D
My incisions on my stomach are healing nicely. I find I cannot lie on my left side without pain, but I can lie on my right side without too much pain. I lie on my back though just to be safe. I cannot wear a bra without feeling like I'm choking myself but I am praying that by the time I get back to work (next Wednesday) that this won't still be the case. I shudder to think if it doesn't haha.
I think that's all .. oh I'm 22 years old. I have been walking around the house a lot.. tomorrow I'll be taking the dog for regular walks so hopefully that helps my weight loss.
I weighed myself today and I'm 144kg. That's a whopping 19kg loss. To be honest, I cannot really see it in my body but I guess scales don't lie. (unless they do... I did buy this scale from Kmart LOL!)
I'm not sure how someone can lose 19kg and there not be some sort of drastic change in my body lol, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. Orrrr.. maybe because I;m around the same people all the time, they can't tell. I'll go back to work and see if anyone notices. lol.

Anyway!!! Absolutely loving this site! It feels sooooo good to know I'm not the only experiencing the same things, and that's it normal!! :)

Good luck & praying for better days for everyone!! :)
Back to top Go down

1 week out post-op newbie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: