Share | 

Newbie - seriously considering sleeve

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Healthyme10

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - seriously considering sleeve   Wed 11 Mar 2015, 5:50 am

Dear all - many thanks for taking the time to respond to my post - I greatly appreciate it! You are all incredibly inspiring! I feel more empowered to make an informed decision and actually start taking control of this life long problem. Life is too short and perhaps life does really begin again at 40! Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - seriously considering sleeve   Wed 11 Mar 2015, 2:52 am

Healthyme10 wrote:
Thanks so much DayleD for your advice - I greatly appreciate it! You have done so amazingly well!!! I would be absolutely thrilled if I saw the results that you have achieved. Were you in a lot of pain or was it mainly frustrating that you couldn't eat? Did you have problems drinking? Did you have any complications? How much time did you have off work / did it take to feel sort of "normal" again?

It is a massive decision but I guess like most of the people on this forum - it gets to a point of enough is enough, I can't do this without help any longer - the pros outweigh the potential risks of surgery - and the potential risks of surgery are less likely than the overwhelming evidence of risks of continued morbid obesity, such as early death, increased risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer, joint problems, diabetes etc and general happiness. I think that people who haven't had to face this dilemma would feel that surgery is a "cop out" or "easy way" out - I think it is actually one of the hardest decisions that I have had to make - and it takes incredible strength of character and willpower to go down this path and succeed. Congrats again to you DayleD and many thanks again for your advice!

• I found it frustrating for the first 2 weeks especially as I was still hungry and never feeling full, purees helped with this
  • I no longer find it frustrating, for the most part, with food/amount I eat as I know this is the reason I wanted the surgery in the first place - no matter how annoyed I get at odd times I know it's doing it's job, and well
  • The first 2 days post op were hell - complete and utter WTF days...you will find the majority of people here say the same thing.  Almost everyone has a 'What the hell have I done' moment post op
  • I took 3 weeks off work.  I found I needed this, not for the pain, simply because of extremely low energy levels and regaining this - most days over this 3 weeks I had nanna naps during the days.  Even once back at work it took a few weeks to get over the tiredness...it is major surgery and you need to let your body recover slowly
  • First 2 weeks during my fluid phase I had no issues with drinking.  Once I started eating though had problems getting enough in.  To this day I find it extremely difficult to get in over 1.5L of water per day.  I try hard, but still find it difficult.
  • One of the things I'd say for me was a major 'side effect' - gall stones.  I had to have my gall bladder out only a couple of weeks ago...alot of this is due to increased gall stone activity due to rapid weight loss/bariatric surgery...it tends to happen to approx 50% of sleevers out there

Hope I've answered the questions you've had, anything else just ask.  I do have a blog where I wrote down all my sleeving experiences if you ever want to check it out (it's in my signature).

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - seriously considering sleeve   Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:33 pm

Hi Healthyme10,

After the first three miserable days post-op I have never regretted having my Sleeve. I know I have been very fortunate and have had a dream run with no complications. I am now off all medications, my blood pressure is normal, I haven't had an asthma episode since surgery, no more plantar fasciitis (feet pain), no more too tired and aching to do much. I recently had my bloods checked and everything was perfect except for my neutrophils (which is not related to my Sleeve). My GP said he had never seen perfect cholesterol levels like mine. I feel as least 10 years younger and now have my quality of life back.

Change, no matter what, is always difficult. With our operation you have to learn how to eat all over again. What your stomach likes and dis-likes. Once this learning phase has passed and you get back into a routine things become much less stressful.

Try watching some of Dr. Weiners youtube videos (love his name,) He is very informative and has videos that cover just about every topic.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - seriously considering sleeve   Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:14 pm

Hi Healthyme10

I was sleeved in July and now being over 40kg lighter, I cant believe how much my life has changed! I have ab no regrets!

I just wanted to share this with you

I'm a black and white sort of person... and these following things were pretty obvious to me.
I was morbidly obese,
I had tried any diet known, to try and lose the weight
I had no health issues, but living on my own I was terrified I would die in my house, alone, and no one would know,
I saw a friend I hadn't seen for prob 20 years and I was just so extremely embarrassed with my weight.
I was not happy with how I looked
I know now I hid behind my obesity since my husband died.
I didn't want to move on from his death.

now

over 40kg lighter......

I know

Nothing tastes as good as being slimmer feels!

I have so much more confidence (I now look people in the eye a lot more)
I love to go clothes shopping. (my new addiction) (op shops are great)
I have used up all my "skinny" clothes I had kept over the years.(all to big now)
I wake up each morning and look forward to the day ahead!
I now enjoy getting compliments on my weight loss (was hard at the start)
I sometimes even dare to think that maybe, sometime in the future, I could perhaps have a new relationship... (WOW!, did I actually write that!)
I love my life.....

When my friend told me about the sleeve op in June, I just bit the bullet and did it, but then that is how I do most things in my life...

My mother in law used to say
"you are what you eat"
She wasn't being nasty, just stating the obvious!
Good luck in your future choices in life!

Life truly is great....
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - seriously considering sleeve   Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:12 pm

Hi Healthyme. I dont regret it one bit, took me about 6 weeks to get to that point (and 6 weeks off work), the first 3-5 weeks I was like WTF have I done! I had some issues post sleeve (nothing too drastic) and other than recovering from the operation and the stitches, it was mainly medication that kept me unwell.

While Im still chasing Dayle :P heading past 36kg gone for me, at 6 weeks I was off my beta blocker completely, hardly any arrythmia and high blood pressure has gone. Two weeks later I was off my nexium. Im still waiting for my post op bloods to be done (mental note to go see the GP). Im on no medication now other than a muti vit.

I was told that this operation can see you lose up to 80% of your excess weight with an average regain of 10% of that. If I can achieve that and keep the regain in check, I will be extremely happy.

According to the BMI calculator my 'ideal' weight is 70.6kg. From where I started at 174.1, 80% of my excess weight was 82.8kg, giving me a goal weight of 91.3kg. If I then added on 10% of that I find my range is 91.3 - 99.5kg. Considering where Ive come from, if I get to double digits I will be stoked. Im almost half way there 4 months out :D

As Dayle said, it is an expensive and radical move, but seriously, I tried all the fads, none of them have worked anywhere close to this, and its permanent, theres no dieting for two months then stuffing your face with tim tams as a reward. In fact I had some m&ms at the movies on Sunday, and spent the following 30 minutes trying not to hurl, I never really liked chocolate, now my tum agrees lol

Good luck with your decision, theres a wealth of information in the forum :)
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - seriously considering sleeve   Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:00 pm

Thanks so much DayleD for your advice - I greatly appreciate it! You have done so amazingly well!!! I would be absolutely thrilled if I saw the results that you have achieved. Were you in a lot of pain or was it mainly frustrating that you couldn't eat? Did you have problems drinking? Did you have any complications? How much time did you have off work / did it take to feel sort of "normal" again?

It is a massive decision but I guess like most of the people on this forum - it gets to a point of enough is enough, I can't do this without help any longer - the pros outweigh the potential risks of surgery - and the potential risks of surgery are less likely than the overwhelming evidence of risks of continued morbid obesity, such as early death, increased risk of heart attack, stroke, cancer, joint problems, diabetes etc and general happiness. I think that people who haven't had to face this dilemma would feel that surgery is a "cop out" or "easy way" out - I think it is actually one of the hardest decisions that I have had to make - and it takes incredible strength of character and willpower to go down this path and succeed. Congrats again to you DayleD and many thanks again for your advice!
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - seriously considering sleeve   Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:52 pm

Hi Healthyme, welcome to GSS :)

It took me at least 4 months post sleeve to realise it was worth it, and to stop questioning my choice.  Now I know that I could not have reached where I am without this amazing (and totally radical and expensive) tool.  It took me 6 years to think about the band/sleeve and then finally reached a point where I went...I cannot live like this anymore...thus the sleeve.  I no longer have any regrets or second thoughts about the sleeve.

I have read that a lot of people DO put back on weight, my dietician and bariatrician said at my 6 month post surgery check up that they see a lot of sleevers put back on weight in the second year in particular.  I have another friend who's 3.5 years out who put back on 8 kilos, then spent 6 months losing it again.  So it definitely is something that you need to keep working on, for life it seems (especially those of us who do tend to put it on, virtually everyone on here).  BUT, I'm of the belief, for myself, that losing 80kilos straight up will then allow me the ability and drive IF I DO put weight back on, to be in the position to exercise and make better decisions to lose it again, at a much lower weight, and to keep an eye on it and not let it get out of hand again.

I also had health issues come up at 39yrs.  I was sleeved last July, and am no longer diabetic, no longer have hypothyroidism, am off my blood pressure medication, no longer have high cholesterol or a fatty liver.  I also have 'regular' periods (having suffered with PCOS for 20 years).  And that is the result of just 8 months or so of weight loss.

Sorry if I've rambled on, just wanted to bring you my perspective.  Good luck with your decision.  Just as with most things there ARE cons, as well as pros to this surgery. 

I'm sure I'll see you round the forum.  Ask as many questions as you can and have a great search around...there is so much information and support on this forum.

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down
Healthyme10

Female

PostSubject: Newbie - seriously considering sleeve   Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:27 am

Hello everyone! I just joined this amazing site! I am seriously contemplating having a gastric sleeve but still undecided... I have struggled with my weight my whole life - even when I was born - being a 10 pound bub! Have tried everything except surgery, which I have been putting off for years as I wanted to give any non-surgical way one last go...! I am now 40 and am at my heaviest ever and am starting to see one medical complication after another... The success stories of some sleevers sound amazing and almost beyond my wildest dreams! But the op seems so drastic and obviously permanent... Have you sleevers got any regrets or advice? It seems that a lot of sleevers initially struggle with regrets and can't believe that they consented to have 90% of their stomach to be cut out!!! But then when they are in less pain / get use to it a bit more and start seeing the amazing results - it seems all worthwhile? Have any sleevers put on a lot of weight? Many thanks in advance for your advice!
Back to top Go down

Newbie - seriously considering sleeve
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: