View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Thu 12 Feb 2015, 8:38 am

I only told my close family until the day before my surgery. The only reason I did this was because I was nervous enough as it was without having to discuss it with every Tom, Dick & Harry for months before. The day I finished work I told my work mates why I was taking sick leave and they were very supportive. By the time I came back to work it had ceased to be the latest gossip. 

I think you would have to be very naive to believe that people weren't gossiping behind your back once you start losing amazing amounts weight after an operation. I don't think that most people would not wonder if you had some sort of WLS. One of my friends tried to keep it secret and was completely embarrassed when she was outed by someone to her friends on FB after saying she was losing weight through healthy eating and exercise. Just my opinion but I'd rather be up front and cope with any flack. Amazingly I have only ever had one negative comment about surgery being the easy way out, and I laughed in her face and said there's no easy way to lose weight, I changed every thing I ate and everything I do to lose this weight! 

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2014-09-25

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Thu 12 Feb 2015, 7:05 am

Hi oceangal. I've been really open with my family and friends but I knew they'd be really supportive and they haven't let me down. It's such a personal decision and only you can hazard a guess as to whether it will be worth it for you or if it will potentially lead to stressful situations. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TheQuirkyQuaintrelle
oceangal

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Wed 11 Feb 2015, 11:26 pm

Thank you ladies for replying, I really appreciate it.

I am also wondering who you told that you were having the procedure? did you tell family, friends, work?
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Wed 11 Feb 2015, 9:16 pm

Hi Oceangal,
Here is the list of questions I had for my surgeon. Most of it he covered without me having to ask. 

1. How many Gastric Sleeves have you done?
2. What's the complication rate and what were the complications??

3. What are the Pre op referrals etc? 
Blood & Urine tests, ECG, chest x-ray, Dietician, Hospital Admin Nurse, Sleep studies,  Anaesthetist, psychologist. 
4. Do I have to go on an Optifast regime pre-op and for how long?
5. How much weight can I expect to lose? What’s the percentage that keep it off?
6. How much is this going to cost me? 
7. What hospital will I have to go to?

8. How long does the operation take and how long will I have to stay in hospital? How long do I have to stay near the hospital post op.
9. Do you do a leak test?
10. What is the post-op regime?? How can I get post op follow up??

11. How long will I need to be off work? 
12. Will I have a drain?
13. Will I have to take vitamins supplements?
14. What will I be able to and not be able to eat?? Will I be able to eat normally but smaller amounts?
15. How long does it take for the stomach to recover, repair and completely heal?
16. What tube size French Bougie do you usually use. 

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2014-09-25

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Wed 11 Feb 2015, 12:36 pm

Welcome aboard oceangal! The main thing I'd want to know from a surgeon is how many procedures they'd done and of that number, how often had there been complications.

I had my sleeve done nearly 4 months ago and I love it! Had a bout of the miseries a few weeks in but it passed pretty quickly and I haven't looked back since.

Best of luck tomorrow and for the rest of your journey.
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TheQuirkyQuaintrelle
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: New Member   Wed 11 Feb 2015, 6:45 am

Welcome to the forum Oceangal,

If you use the Search button up the top and have a look around the site you'll find answers to every possible question !

Also start following the Jan and Feb threads for people who are just having the ops now.

All the best with your research,
Tara
Back to top Go down
oceangal

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-01-29

PostSubject: New Member   Wed 11 Feb 2015, 6:19 am

Hi All

I am new to this site and I see my surgeon for my first appointment tomorrow!!!

I can not wait to sit down and talk to him and find out what he has to say. I already know I want the sleeve.

I am hoping I don't have to wait too long for the surgery as I just want to get it over and done with. 

Has anyone got any advice on what I can ask my surgeon tomorrow??

Also I am very interested in hearing from people that have:

1. Recently been sleeved - (few months)
2. Have been sleeved 4+ years ago? How are you going now? Are you glad you had the procedure? 

Any advice would be welcome!!
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: