View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aussiearies
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Would love some advice!   Sat 10 Jan 2015, 10:02 pm

WondaWendy, it was the fact that the Nexium affects the calcium absorption that my surgeon mentioned me not taking it everyday and if I can get away with out taking them I will, but I do take supplements for vitD and calcium.

There is a family history of reflux and I am aware that it can cause problems and was so relived to find when they did the sleeve they did a gastroscopy that I had no symptoms of Barretts disease.

I will try again to reduce them when I lose some more weight.
Back to top Go down
Leeshie

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Would love some advice!   Sat 10 Jan 2015, 12:36 pm

Hi AngieDub, 

I was sleeved by Dr Loi in August last year, and am so happy with my choice of surgeon, great surgeon with the added bonus of a wonderful bedside manner.

I also suffered reflux before I was sleeved, but I was lucky and it stopped once I started optifast. I was sent home from hospital with a month worth of pariet and I got a repeat script from my GP because I moved from Sydney 6weeks after I was sleeved and wanted it for emergencies, I have only taken it a few times as a precaution e.g if I have had a tomato/acidic dinner. At my first appointment before I saw Dr Loi I saw his nurse Ana who went through my medical history and asked about reflux/blood clotting etc. Dr Loi must have read these notes before he called me in.

I have had a dream run, only food intolerances are instant coffee made on water is too heavy and water has to be icy cold or a squeeze of lemon/lime. I was VERY lucky, no pain after surgery, up and walking as soon as the nurses would let me (the night of surgery I was allowed up to walk to the bathroom, so I did a few extra bathroom runs to be able to be out of bed) and would have been discharged after 2 nights but because at the time of surgery I was living 45 mins from the hospital he wanted me in another night.
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1257
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Would love some advice!   Sat 10 Jan 2015, 12:23 pm

I didn't have any reflux before hand but now suffer from mild reflux. I'm trying to sort this out without using a PPI due to the bad press that I have heard on them.  Particularly in terms of "Acid Reflux Rebound" which basically means when you go off them your body reacts by producing A LOT of acid. This will apparently calm down if you wean off the drugs slowly or be patient for the condition to aleviate itself, unfortunately though many people seem to get trapped on the PPI's because they get into a vicious cycle of getting it under control with the PPI and then going off it and getting the rebound so going back on it, etc. This is only my take on it and probably isn't a complete understanding.

The reason that being on PPI's long term is not good is because it also inhibits the absorption of other important things our body needs and this can effect long term health.  For example, I know there are several studies that have shown a moderate increased risk of hip and spine fracture due to changes in bone density.  AussieAires, I would suggest that your surgeon might be recommending not to take it every day to give your body chances to absorb the minerals and other things needed by your body to prevent some of these complications, although I don't really know enough. Just enough to decide to avoid them myself really. Maybe you could even just avoid them a couple of times a week if you can't do it every second day.

I've just gotten a new thing yesterday from the chemist that was recommended by a natruopath - it is just capsules and they contain aloe vera, liquorice, zinc and some other stuff that is supposed to help.  Will let you know if it helps :)
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Would love some advice!   Sat 10 Jan 2015, 11:42 am

I have had reflux for many years and have taken Nexium for it for a number of years as well. I am still taking Nexium but don't think the surgery has made it any worse.

I did try not to take it as my surgeon suggested I take Zantac every second day but it was bad with the Zantac so I continue to take the Nexium every day. I am hoping when I lose more weight that I might be able to stop the Nexium but if not I will just continue on it.

It was something I did think about before the sleeve, but it was worth the chance for me due to other issues and it seems to have stayed the same.
Back to top Go down
rock&hardplace

Female
Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2015-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Would love some advice!   Sat 10 Jan 2015, 9:48 am

My surgeon asked about if I had reflux, I didn't. He was happy about that, because he said it could be made worse with the sleeve. Maybe this is not true for everyone, just what he said to me.
Back to top Go down
icanucan2

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2014-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Would love some advice!   Sat 10 Jan 2015, 9:36 am

Welcome Angie.
Sorry can't help re surgeon & not much to offer about the reflux except that when I was at my highest weight I did suffer from bad heart-burn.  Went away straight after surgery but then came back about 10 days post op but only for a few days (am now 5 weeks post op).  Am sure there are others on here that might be able to give you advise...I know some people have been prescribed Nexium post surgery.
Anyway just wanted to drop by and wish you all the best.
Back to top Go down
AngieDub

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Would love some advice!   Wed 07 Jan 2015, 10:17 am

Hi All, just joined the GSS community and its lovely to see all the great support you guys give one another!
I have a question, well two actually, I am looking into the sleeve but I suffer with bad reflux, have done all my
life. Is there anyone out there who like me had bad reflux and its made worse by the sleeve? As I really don't think I could bear it . Plus I am looking at an apt. with Dr. Ken Loi, anybody have surgery with him here in Sydney? Huge thanks in advance everyone. Xx
Back to top Go down

Would love some advice!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: