Share | 

Newby to optifast, gastric sleeve 12/12/2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
emmabear

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2014-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Newby to optifast, gastric sleeve 12/12/2014   Sat 29 Nov 2014, 4:01 pm

I should also mention, in comparison to WondaWendy, I am not allowed any fruit or berries, but have no restriction on carrot.  

You have to  make your menu work given what you have to work with.
Back to top Go down
emmabear

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2014-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Newby to optifast, gastric sleeve 12/12/2014   Sat 29 Nov 2014, 3:57 pm

Hi Tambo,

I thought I'd pitch in with my opti routine as well. I've just finished day 5. 

It really depends what your nutritionist has told you as to how you manage your intake. My tip would be to speak to them if you are struggling. See if you can get some help that is still within the guidelines. I spoke to my nutritionist on Friday to clarify what I can and can't have (I wanted to know if I could have stock, ginger and fresh herbs). He explained to me that during surgery they use a tool to hold your liver up and out of the way. If its large then it may tear. And that emergency liver repair surgery, in the middle of sleeve surgery, is not what we are wanting. That was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow!

I also had baaaaaad headaches...almost migraine, but they cleared up day four, although I have to say I can still feel it lingering in the background. I'm also pretty tired, and can't concentrate...but it is getting better. I just repeat to myself 'long term, not short term' and know this doesn't last all that long in the grand scheme. 

Ok...my menu (taking into account my plan is 2+ cups of allowed vegies everyday)

Breakfast - baby spinach, carrot, broccoli, tomato and ginger and water smoothie in the nutribullet. (This is the least tasty part of my day, but you feel pretty good from it)

When I get to work I make up an optishake (usually coffee flavour) with 1 litre of water. Stick it in a drink bottle and have it over the morning. 

Lunch - lettuce tomato cucumber snow pea salad with balsamic. Topped with 'treats' like a few roasted baby squash, roast carrots, roast brussel sprouts etc. I've found these taste more meaty and satisfy the 'chewy' need. 

I generally don't eat all my salad and put it aside for later. 

Straight after lunch - straight into my second shake in another litre of water. This way I know I'm getting at least 2 litres of water and it really helps fill me up. 

3 or 4pm...finish off salad if feeling peckish. I've found the trick is never let yourself get too hungry or you'll make a bad choice. 

Get home...snack on a few roasted brussel sprouts while making dinner. (Halve them before roasting for better flavour). 

Sample dinner - the other night I boiled up cauliflower in chicken stock (after getting the ok to use stock), then pureed it with roasted onion to make a kind of mash. Then roasted flat mushrooms with a mix of chopped up fresh basil and garlic. And served on the mash with a bit of roasted tomato. 

Not huge amounts but all tasty and filling. Then finish off with an opti choc mousse. 

I dropped 3.7kgs in the first 3 days so hopefully I'm on the right track. I think we are all flying blind to some degree and just hoping we do the best we can. 

My theory is I'd rather eat too much lettuce or too many brussel sprouts then get hungry and have some toast. 

Good luck.with it all :)
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1257
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Newby to optifast, gastric sleeve 12/12/2014   Sat 29 Nov 2014, 2:40 pm

Hey Tambo, how many days in are you? After the 3rd day things are supposed to get better as you go into ketosis and you feel less hungry.

My routine worked really well for me - I'm not saying I enjoyed it all but I was not really hungry either:

B/Fast: Optifast Number 1 - shake with 1/4 cup blueberries added and blended up (I used 100ml of extra water than directions say to use)

Morning Tea - Raw vegetable crudites - any from; snow peas, green beans, cucumber, celery, red capsicum (and small amount of carrot also allowed) or a cup of homemade soup from allowable veges.

Lunch - Optifast Number 2 - Shake done in a shaker (with extra water again) or a Lemon Creme Dessert with 1/2 passionfruit and 2 chopped strawberries stirred through

Afternoon Tea - More Crudites or soup if hungry

Dinner - Stirfry or Soup made from allowable veges

Supper - Optifast Number 3 - Plain chocolate bar or Opti Dessert with diet jelly and a chopped strawberry

(sometimes I'd have half the choc bar at morning tea and half at supper with one or 2 strawberries)  I was allowed 1 cup a day of berries (raspberry, blueberry or strawberry but I never at a whole cup, was also allowed up to 1 cup a day of carrot and pumpkin as they are semi-starchy so not part of allowable veges - I never ate more than about 1/2 a cup though just to keep myself on the straight and narrow).

I think the trick is to just eat allowable veges whenever you are hungry - make up a soup and have a cup whenever you need it.  My dietitian allowed me only 1 palm sized serve of protein in the whole two weeks (he said for a special occasion) and I had a few prawns two nights before the surgery.  His paperwork also said in the fine print, "if you need to cheat at any point, have a small amount of protein" but don't over do it.

I know it's tough, but you can do it!!!! 

Best wishes,
Back to top Go down
Tambo73

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-11-29

PostSubject: Newby to optifast, gastric sleeve 12/12/2014   Sat 29 Nov 2014, 12:33 pm

Hi I'm in optifast for 2 weeks never thought I'd be so hungry I am getting headaches and feeling down. What happens if I can't stick to this and slip up once in a while? Can I still have surgery? The days are getting longer and longer ;(
Back to top Go down

Newby to optifast, gastric sleeve 12/12/2014
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: