Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garfield99
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015   Sun 07 Dec 2014, 4:55 pm

Nini wrote:
Hi Garfield.
Answer 12:
An Ileus is a temporary complication that can happen after any abdominal surgery. It's where the peristalsis ( the waves of muscular contractions that move food through your intestines) is paralysed due to the shock of being handled. This causes a temporary bowel obstruction until it starts working again. My Doc told me that it doesn't seem to happen much after the Sleeve because he doesn't get down that far.

Answer 12:
Most Doc's don't seem to bother cross matching blood for this surgery as it is not "high risk" of blood loss.

Answer 18:
The actual difference between Bougie sizes is very small and different surgeons pull them tighter or looser. So one surgeon could use a small size but wrap the stomach loose around it while another could use a larger size but pull the stomach tight around it. So both patients could end up with similar size stomachs but different size bougies were used. Usually the size doesn't really impact on weight loss that much. Too small a bougie size increases the risk of complications such as leak and strictures a lot.

cheers Nini

Thanks Nini! :-)  Just when you think you have been through it all and after years of crap to get there in the end, you are always learning something new!

P.S. Have a lovely Christmas and New Years if don't speak before xo
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1257
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015   Wed 03 Dec 2014, 9:39 pm

I concur on the bougie size Nini. It was one of my biggest concerns.  My surgeon confirmed what you said about it not being a lot different - he said about 100mls difference from smallest to largest, and agreed that different surgeons are looser or tighter in their approach.  I was mostly concerned about not having a too small one as I didn't want complications and wanted to make sure I could get enough nutrition in.  My surgeon used a 37F I think.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015   Wed 03 Dec 2014, 9:28 pm

Hi Garfield.
Answer 12:
An Ileus is a temporary complication that can happen after any abdominal surgery. It's where the peristalsis ( the waves of muscular contractions that move food through your intestines) is paralysed due to the shock of being handled. This causes a temporary bowel obstruction until it starts working again. My Doc told me that it doesn't seem to happen much after the Sleeve because he doesn't get down that far.

Answer 12:
Most Doc's don't seem to bother cross matching blood for this surgery as it is not "high risk" of blood loss.

Answer 18:
The actual difference between Bougie sizes is very small and different surgeons pull them tighter or looser. So one surgeon could use a small size but wrap the stomach loose around it while another could use a larger size but pull the stomach tight around it. So both patients could end up with similar size stomachs but different size bougies were used. Usually the size doesn't really impact on weight loss that much. Too small a bougie size increases the risk of complications such as leak and strictures a lot.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015   Wed 03 Dec 2014, 5:45 pm

Nini wrote:
Hi Gw,

Here is the list of questions I had. Most of them I could answer before I saw my surgeon from all the research I did on here. So I was just left with a couple of questions that only he could answer.

1. How many Gastric Sleeves have you done?
2. What's the complication rate and what were the complications??

3. What are the Pre op referrals etc? 
Blood & Urine tests, GP, Dietician, Exercise Physiologist, Hospital Admin Nurse, Pre-Op Surgeon Appointment, Anaesthetist 
4. Do I have to go on an Optifast regime pre-op and for how long?
5. How much weight can I expect to lose? What’s the percentage that keep it off?
6. How much is this going to cost me out of pocket? I have Bupta Private Health Insurance
7. What hospital will I have to go to?

8. How long does the operation take and how long will I have to stay in hospital? How long do I have to stay near the hospital post op.
9. Do you use a drain or a naso-gastric tube? do a leak test? 
10. What is the post-op regime?? How can I get post op follow up??

11. How long will I need to be off work? 
12. How likely is an Ileus?
13. Will I need blood, if I do should I start donating some before the operation?
14. Will I have to take vitamins supplements for the rest of my life?
15. What will I be able to and not be able to eat?? Will I be able to eat normally but smaller amounts?
16. How long does it take for the stomach to recover, repair and completely heal?
17. Will I have any problems with constipation and diarrhea??

18. What tube size French Bougie is usually used 
19. Can the staples fail down the track?

Hope these give you some ideas.

cheers Nini.

Awesome response now I have questions - 12 How likely is an Ileus?  What is that?
Didnt know about the blood type and I have non common blood type so surprised that never came up.
18. Tube size renc Bougie is very important!  Too big, you won't lose weight,  if they cut it wrong you may end up with restriction which is easily fixed with stretching - more of annoyance but better then going through the friggen procedure again!  I think mine is a 32 and my gf who weighed around 148kg go a larger bougie and can eat anything.  I growled saying he put too big of a bougie especially knowing your history with being a lapband patient and like me, if I can eat it - I friggen will eat it!  Her weight loss success has been as good as mine sadly - but lucky she is a gorgeous person inside and out with a wonderful family.  

Only thing I would add, get a full vitamin blood test as you never know what you are currently lacking and then every 3 months just via your normal GP keep up the vitamin checks.  I have issues with magnesium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B and they prescribe their version of vitamins which are much stronger then over the counter.   This helps keeps a history if you are having re-occuring vitamin levels.  Keep a history of health issues and preferably see the same chemist as they get to know you, they will be able recommend other things at the same time.

The other thing I recommend is degas and peppermint tea.  Degas is just from any chemist and it helps with the wind pain after the blow up your stomach to get a good look.  For some reason it can it hit your shoulder hard & painfully, or even other areas.  Sip away on peppermint tea (even if it's cold) because it all helps along with walking laps - slowly, steadily, popping off or burping on the occasion but it's getting it out :-)

And if in pain, no matter what the time is - go to emergency hospital and tell them you have had the surgery.  A leak can occur after 6 weeks and your life could be at stake.  So what if it was nothing in the end - at least you know and can rest!
Back to top Go down
GW

Female
Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2014-11-21

PostSubject: Great list   Mon 24 Nov 2014, 1:06 am

Thanks so much that is a great list, some that I had not thought of.  I am sure I will find that very useful.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015   Fri 21 Nov 2014, 9:45 am

Hi Gw,

Here is the list of questions I had. Most of them I could answer before I saw my surgeon from all the research I did on here. So I was just left with a couple of questions that only he could answer.

1. How many Gastric Sleeves have you done?
2. What's the complication rate and what were the complications??

3. What are the Pre op referrals etc? 
Blood & Urine tests, GP, Dietician, Exercise Physiologist, Hospital Admin Nurse, Pre-Op Surgeon Appointment, Anaesthetist 
4. Do I have to go on an Optifast regime pre-op and for how long?
5. How much weight can I expect to lose? What’s the percentage that keep it off?
6. How much is this going to cost me out of pocket? I have Bupta Private Health Insurance
7. What hospital will I have to go to?

8. How long does the operation take and how long will I have to stay in hospital? How long do I have to stay near the hospital post op.
9. Do you use a drain or a naso-gastric tube? do a leak test? 
10. What is the post-op regime?? How can I get post op follow up??

11. How long will I need to be off work? 
12. How likely is an Ileus?
13. Will I need blood, if I do should I start donating some before the operation?
14. Will I have to take vitamins supplements for the rest of my life?
15. What will I be able to and not be able to eat?? Will I be able to eat normally but smaller amounts?
16. How long does it take for the stomach to recover, repair and completely heal?
17. Will I have any problems with constipation and diarrhea??

18. What tube size French Bougie is usually used 
19. Can the staples fail down the track?

Hope these give you some ideas.

cheers Nini.
Back to top Go down
GW

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015   Fri 21 Nov 2014, 6:07 am

Thanks Wendy.

I have been doing a lot of reading, both sides of the story, disaster stories and success stories.  I have also researched other bariatric surgery and it seems that gastric sleeve surgery is definitely the way to go.  I have been 25-35kg overweight for the past 11 years no matter what I do.  I am hopeful that this will help and realistic about lifestyle changes I will need to make afterwards.  I will definitely make notes, that is a good suggestion.

GW
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1257
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015   Fri 21 Nov 2014, 5:24 am

Welcome GW,

Just tell Dr Lockie your story and what you are hoping to achieve and he will take it from there - he has lots of experience with this type of surgery.  Maybe do your research first and if any questions pop up from your reading and you-tubing, jot them down to ask.

Best of luck,
Back to top Go down
GW

Female

PostSubject: Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015   Fri 21 Nov 2014, 1:50 am

Hi Everyone

Love this forum so far, it has helped me learn a lot about gastric sleeve surgery and life after.  I am considering having the surgery early next year and I am going to have an initial appointment with Dr Phil Lockie on 8 December.  What should I ask him and what should I tell him?  I am nervous to even begin the journey but I know it is the best option I have after years of my weight fluctuating.
Back to top Go down

Newbie considering Gastric Sleeve surgery in 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: