Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Share | 

Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nya

Female
Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2014-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....   Fri 24 Oct 2014, 2:07 am

Thank you Nini! I again am so thankful that you would take the time to respond to my questions. Everyone here is so very helpful! Your feedback was so wonderful! It has definitely helped me to understand a few things I wasnt sure about.

Sleeverella - Thank you! I was having concerns and your first paragraph just reminded me of why im doing this! 
We thought about maybe having another baby, but it would be in several years time. Which I discussed with the surgeon and he said that should be fine.
Im a vegetarian, for 20 years and have a fairly restricted diet (hence the weight...rice/pasta/bread...its a vegetarian dream/nightmare!), so I managed to get the right nutrients when pregnant this year....I hope that I should be able to ensure that I was food smart enough to satisfy a future pregnancy.

Your message totally helped me with my internal battle!

2 weeks post op...How are you feeling?? How have the 2 weeks been? Are you managing with your bub or have you enlisted some help?
Back to top Go down
sleeverella

Female
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2014-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....   Thu 23 Oct 2014, 7:02 am

Hey Nya,
Welcome & I hear ya.  I was about 88kg a year after my bub.  Wish I hadn't waited til I was 109kg to get the op done.  
Mine is a little boy now & I'm 2 weeks post sleeve & 98.4kg today.

Have you thought about having other kids?  Asked about how the sleeve works with nutritional needs of pregnancy.  What about breastfeeding & stuff like that?

Read around the site heaps, write down any & all questions you have no matter how trivial or silly you may feel, ask your surgeon &/or nutritionist all of them.

Also, coz you are on 1st December, you should join November monthly group as well as December.  It's great going through with other people.

How long the healing took, how long until you were up and about? 
The healing takes around 6 weeks I believe.  Can't resume heavy lifting, gym classes and stuff like that til then.  I was out of hospital after 2 days, well & truly moving about & have had no major issues but I do get a bit tired in the afternoons some days.  Mostly, if not for incisions & not being hungry I wouldn't know I'd had the op.  You are not very heavy to start off with so you are likely to recover well I should think.

What can I prepare in terms of food for the family? Or me? 

Depends on your situation, but for my family I made & froze bolognaise, schnitzels & casseroles etc.. for both pre-op diet period & 1 week after surgery.  (I didn't want the distraction of yummy dinner when I could only have a nasty shake.)  For myself, I cooked & froze soups for the liquid weeks. 

I got everything done.  Housework, ironing, bills, errands the lot.  That way, I could be totally focused on my recovery. 

What can I tell my husband to expect?
It's impossible to know how you will feel &/or how your op recovery will go.  He should expect to be loving, patient, kind & flexible.

We have decided not to tell anyone about the surgery and just say I am dieting post baby etc....
How did you manage to go out for dinner with friends and eat your prescribed diet? ( I am often required to go on work dinners etc too)
Generally, it's 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks puree, 2 weeks soft food.  So it's probably only about a month that you will find eating out a bit tricky.  Avoid where you can.  Check the restaurant menu on the web before you go if you can.
You will likely be smack in the middle of purees for christmas.  You may need to think of a way round this with the family etc

Please any idea what I Should do Pre op and what to expect post op?
Agree with Nini.  Read separate sections about this.
NOT SURE IF YOU KNOW BUT NO DRIVING FOR MINIMUM 7 DAYS AFTER OP for example.

Will I be back to lifting my baby and changing him etc within days?
Not sure whether a 9m old qualifies as heavy lifting on not.  Check with surgeon about this.  Hubby will be home for 1 week so he can do all the lifting of the baby for that time at least.  Surgeon might say it's okay after a week or so.
DEFINITELY BETTER YOU DO THIS NOW THAN WHEN YOUR LIL ONE IS CRAWLING !!!!   That is for sure !!!

MOST IMPORTANTLY - GOOD LUCK !!!
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....   Thu 23 Oct 2014, 1:06 am

Welcome Nya,

Make sure you do plenty of research into the risks and benefits of the surgery and that you are happy that the benefits to you will outweigh the risk of complications. I don't have a baby so can't help you with that. Everyone has a different experience but here is mine:

How long the healing took, how long until you were up and about? 
I was completely miserable for the first two days suffering from nausea and shoulder pain. I had a naso-gastric tube and a drain (which a lot of people don't have). Once the tube and the drain came out I felt 100% better. I was up walking to the toilet the night of surgery and showered the next day. The only pain I had was in my shoulder and heat packs really helped. I felt very tired and flat for a few weeks after surgery. 

If you like you can prepare some food and freeze it for your husband. I didn't bother as I expect mine to look after himself, he's a grown person and I don't baby him, lol. You can make some soups and soft casseroles to freeze. I put mine in ice cube trays, as at the beginning you can only eat very small amounts. I wouldn't bother buying a lot of protein shakes etc as your taste can change drastically after the operation and things you liked before can taste foul after.

I know a lot of women say that they were super emotional post Sleeve. When you lose a lot of weight the estrogen that is stored in the fat cells is released and can cause mood swings like PMS. I didn't experience this but did feel very flat. I am normally a very happy person so it was a bit of a surprise to me.

We have decided not to tell anyone about the surgery and just say I am dieting post baby etc....
How did you manage to go out for dinner with friends and eat your prescribed diet? ( I am often required to go on work dinners etc too)

I told all my family pre-op. I told my work friends the day I left on my sick leave. I have no problems with letting people know and I have never had a negative comment. I didn't want the stress of trying to hide my surgery and no matter what you tell them people are going to speculate behind your back how you are losing weight. I attend all our work do's. The first ones I went to I just ordered soup. It took me just about the whole dinner to finish half the bowl. Once I was on solids I ordered entrees or ask for an entree size serving. If there is nothing suitable in the entrees I just eat what I can. I do like all day breakfast menu so I can have eggs and just leave the toast. Yes, people will notice your eating has drastically changed so you will have to have something to explain it - Hiatus Hernia Repair is a good one as the recovery is the same as the Sleeve.

There are separate sections on this forum for pre-op/post-op care. If you read through them there is a lot of info. Or use the search window at the top of the page to put in your question, usually lots of answers will come up.

No, lifting and carrying is discouraged after surgery as it puts too much pressure on your stomach increasing the risk of gastric leaks and incisional hernias. You will need someone to help you for the first few weeks.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
~shelli~
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....   Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:41 am

You are most welcome Nya.  I'm just under 6 weeks since my surgery and am feeling really good. I've dropped 23kgs since my pre-op diet began in August.  I'm about to progress to normal foods so can't wait to crunch on some lettuce lol. Getting the sleeve had already made a difference to my life (less back and knee pain, can walk further without too much pain) and I feel very positive about my future. I don't regret anything, best decision I've made for my health.
Back to top Go down
Nya

Female

PostSubject: Re: Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....   Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:33 am

Hello Willowgirl! 
Thank you for your message! Thank you for sharing your experience and Im happy for you that youve lost weight and youve had a positive experience! 
While I am lighter than many people I am still classed as obese and I have several medical conditions that have increased the risk to my general health. So my surgeon believes this is the best option to ensure Im around for my little one for as long as possible.
Would you change anything Willowgirl? Or are you happy with your decision?

Shelli! I cannot thank you enough for your message. To be so thorough and respond to all of my questions and concerns is just so kind of you! I really have some things to discuss now with my husband, and think that I might be able to manage everything with his help. (Oh and im sure that the Mother in Law will be more than happy to come around and spend some time with bub.....! )
Shelli can I ask when you had your surgery? And how you feel about it in hingsight?

Thank you both again so much! x
Back to top Go down
~shelli~
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....   Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:59 pm

Welcome Nya!

I don't have a baby but will have a go at answering your questions.

Can anyone share any experiences with me on how they recovered? How long the healing took, how long until you were up and about? 
I was in hospital for three nights, I was offered another night but opted to come home. The first two days are pretty rough for most people, you feel awful at that point. Day three I felt SO much better and could get in some fluids ok. I had very little pain but I did feel it if I overdid it. Doing the vacuuming, carrying baskets of washing, walking for more than about 15mins was too much for me in the first few weeks. I would be quite sort in the abdomen if I did those things so I stopped doing them pretty quickly!

I didn't prepare anything for the family. My husband took holidays so was home for two weeks after I got home so he looked after himself and our daughter (11yrs old) then he continued to cook pretty much until I got onto soft foods at the four week mark. At that stage I could eat what they were eating with slight modification so I've been doing most of the cooking again.  I would often prepare some vegetables for them and he would just turn them on and cook the meat when he got home.

You will need a lot of rest. You are having a MAJOR surgery and your body needs time to adjust to that. He will really need to pitch in a do a lot to help. I'll address the baby issue further down. My husband and daughter both pitched in and did housework, washing etc. I just closed my eyes to the bits they missed lol.

We have decided not to tell anyone about the surgery and just say I am dieting post baby etc....
I found this tricky and opted not to go out to eat in the early stages. Unless you can be sure you can get a bowl of soup then you are really stuck as to what you might eat during the fluid and puree stages (which is generally the first four weeks). I would be honest with work and tell them you have a medical reason for not attending dinners for a while. Get a certificate from your surgeon/GP if you need to. My first meal out was with a girlfriend and her kids. I was in puree phase and there was nothing I could eat so I sat with a glass of water while everyone else ate. It didn't bother me but this was someone close to me who knew what I was going through. The first successful meal out was breakfast with friends. I ordered eggs benedict, ate one egg and hubby finished the rest.

This could be a pretty long list and everyone is different so experience different things. Pre-op, my advice is to find a dietitian experienced in bariatric surgery and have a chat to them about what you need to do pre and post-op. If you have a look through the post-op section and even read some diaries, you will find a lot of experiences in there. Did your surgeon give you info too? Read it all thoroughly.

Again, everyone is different but I wouldn't think so. You can certainly change him and feed him but I would be concerned about the amount of lifting. You need to take time to heal before doing too much lifting. I think I was told nothing heavier than a 2lt milk bottle for four weeks. Nurses in the hospital told me that and it was similar advice to when I had a c-section so I figured it was accurate. You won't be able to drive for a week or so either. There is a lot of lifting involved with a baby so I'd definitely try and get help with that. Is your husband able to take longer off work? Do you have a parent/in-law who could come and help for a week?  As I said, you'll also need a lot of rest and having a 9mth old to take care of by yourself may not allow you that.

Hopefully some people with small children can give you their experiences as well, I'm just basing my thoughts around how I felt and what I could have managed. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: Nya   Wed 22 Oct 2014, 9:47 pm

Welcome Nya. I am 7 weeks out of surgery and have so far lost 18.4 kilos. First let me say that you are at the weight now that many people on this forum want for their goal. You are probably the lightest person with the lowest BMI that I have seen on here, I am amazed that the surgeon has agreed to sleeve you.
We all have a different recovery and I certainly didn't have a baby to come home to but in general I would say that the pain is very minimal compared to other surgeries I have had. Before the op I made up heaps of little portions of soup and froze them. After the op you will be exhausted so will definitely need some help with lifting and the baby. Your hubby will need to really pitch in especially that first week but give you time to rest for up to a month as you will need it. I was in hospital for 2 nights.
Lots of people here will give you their stories so good luck with your journey.
Back to top Go down
Nya

Female

PostSubject: Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....   Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:44 am

HI everyone! Im new here today! Im hoping for some ideas, feedback, guidance, suggestions and help in general. 
I saw a surgeon today who booked me for Sleeve surgery in December 2014. 
I have a BMI of 33, im 165cm and 88kgs. My husband and I believe that this will be a good thing for our family. 
But I will have 9 month old baby at the time of the surgery. Hubby will take the week off work. 
My surgeon told me I could be in the hospital for 1-2 nights.

Can anyone share any experiences with me on how they recovered? How long the healing took, how long until you were up and about? 
We have decided not to tell anyone about the surgery and just say I am dieting post baby etc....

I really appreciate you sharing your story with me so I can put my mind at ease a little! 
In return I will gladly share my journey with you!

Thank you! xxxx
Back to top Go down

Im getting a sleeve and I have a baby.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: