Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TheQuirkyQuaintrelle
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: Short arms, big backside   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 8:32 am

Thanks for reading my blog ToMissKA it is fun to write it. Now that you have mentioned the short arms big backside, you know one thing, since I have lost weight my arms are longer and my backside is smaller and it has only been 3 weeks.. Prior to that it was a logistical nightmare sometimes......yay
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2014-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:04 am

Willowgirl - I just read your blog and it was terrific! Really identified with "drowning" in my fat, and this is probably TMI so apologies in advance but going to the loo normally (no "short arms"!) sounds like a little slice of heaven!
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 6:01 am

Yes, I love that phrase...stay in the moment!  So true,  yesterday has passed, live for today, bring on tomorrow :)

Don't feel stalkerish...it's always a lovely surprise when someone says they read my diary, haha.

I love reading the diaries on here, full of truth, reality and inspiration.

DayleD
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 5:57 am

Thanks DayleD. 

I've been reading your diary on how and checked out your blog - very inspiring! Hope I don't sound like a stalker!!

My BMI is 43 and I'm on opti for 3 weeks so hopefully I'll be able to make up for my slip last night without jeopardizing my surgery. Feeling good today anyway, so I'll just stay in the moment and do the next right thing.
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 5:48 am

Hello ToMissKA!

Good luck with your opti.  I second the girls below...try to stick with it to the letter if you can, it's important to stay in that ketosis stage for your liver to shrink.

I had 2 weeks opti, even though I was 141kg, BMI 55 and had a fatty liver I was only given 2 weeks which I thought was a bit strange myself.  My surgeon told me later that my liver was huge at time of surgery (even though I stuck to opti 100%) and it made for a really difficult operation.  I feel really lucky that he actually operated me after hearing that.

Hope these next few weeks fly for you...not long now :)

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 5:24 am

Thanks Willowgirl and I'll check out your blog. I think it was just a bit of tantrum to be honest. My head is in a much better place today and I feel really committed to this path.  Maybe I'm kidding myself but I think that I'll be so scared of hurting myself post surgery that I'll dot every i and cross every t to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Opti a walk in the park..   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 4:32 am

I just have to add MissK, Opti is a walk in the park to the reduced food and restrictions after surgery so do your best to stick to it. I am 3 weeks post surgery and although I am getting through it is really hard and a definite learning curve.

My blog if interested: http://willowgirl62.blogspot.com.au/
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 2:34 am

Lol...point taken Wendy! I'm on the band wagon now but if I have a moment of insanity, I'll make sure it's protein based!
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1257
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 2:10 am

Oh well Katie, what's done is over and it sounds like you are back on the right wagon. But...

The biggest issue with eating something like biscuits whilst doing the Opti phase is that you may find your body will not be effectively remaining in ketosis, that is the super important process where your body has started using up your body fat and shrinking your liver before surgery. I don't know enough to be sure, but it could be that it will be another few days before you return to that state effectively... I recommend getting some ketostix from the chemist to check your urine if you are our ride, I bought a pack of 50 Keto-diastix for around $7 and ended up testing myself a couple of times a day just for fun to see what my ketone levels were. If you get the dia version, which was all my chemist had, just ignore the glucose reading part.

My dietician's said nothing about cheating, but hidden away in the small print on his guidelines, if you are desperate and feel you MUST cheat and have something, make sure it is protein based. Carbs are the enemy if you want to shrink that liver enough for your surgery.

Sorry to nag, just DON'T do it again, lol!
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 1:38 am

Thanks Nini and Wendy. I wondered if that was the case.

I have to confess that I had a couple of biscuits last night after a day of being confronted with temptation. Not going to make any excuses, it was the wrong thing to do. It was almost like I had to get it out of my system or something if that makes sense. But surprisingly, I've woken up feeling really committed today. I can do this!
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:52 pm

Hi Katie,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with WondaWendy, it all depends on how fatty your liver is and your surgeons expectations. I was Sleeved in Melbourne over 14 months ago and Optifast is just a distant memory - thank goodness. The first three days were the worst and I just thought of it as taking medicine and tried to get it over with as quickly as possible. There are a few tricks to make it slightly better such as blending it with ice to make a slushy or heating the Chocolate one to make a Hot Chocolate. 
If you are going to cheat try to make it on something healthy and not fatty. Towards the end I broke and had a banana but apart from that I stuck to it.

best wishes on your journey,

Nini
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:28 pm

Katie, my opinion is that it seems to be a variety of factors, but the main two would be...

- size of the patient (liver of larger person will be larger or fattier)

- conservativeness of surgeon (for liver prep, or to see you are serious about this)
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 1:51 pm

Does anyone know why people have to be on the opti stage for different lengths of time?  Just curious.

It's funny but I've been feeling better since that first post so thank you very much for all the support and reassurance folks.
Back to top Go down
always_sparkles

Female
Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2014-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 1:33 pm

Hi Katie! Welcome :)

I'm 4 weeks post sleeve on Monday, and like Wendy, had a 2 week opti sludge phase. I was pretty good on it, but admit that I did have sushi rolls a couple of times during the two weeks, and had rice noodles and lemongrass chicken for lunch on the Saturday before my op on the Monday! BAD me, and I totally get the self-sabotaging. I kept thinking in the lead up that, despite the sleeve working for everyone else, it wouldn't work for me or I'd wake up and for some reason they wouldn't have sleeved me... I think it's pretty normal - a MASSIVE change!

Best thing I ever did - 20kg down already!  You'll be fab - have faith and join the Oct board!

Good luck xxx
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Welcome ToMissKA   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:51 am

Hi there, welcome. I am from your neck of the woods sort of and had my surgery three weeks ago in The Valley Private. Opti is a bit of a chore but it is amazing how quickly it goes and then you are onto the next step. Remember it is for the sole purpose of preparing you for a safe surgery so stick with it to the letter. Just think about the surgery every time you feel like cheating, just think you are only cheating yourself and no one else gives a rats backside really.

In my Opti phase I had 3 shakes per day and 2 cups of green vegetables, I had that for 2 weeks.

Good luck we know you can do it because we have all done it too.

Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:34 am

Thanks so much ladies for the tips and reassurance :-)
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 10:10 am

Hiya Katie,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.   (Hi there!!!!)

And yup, I think most of us had similar worries before the surgery. 

Optispew is not the funnest thing in the world but I promise it does get easier, especially after days 3 and 5 !

Pop over to the October (Opals?) thread and introduce yourself to all your fellow October Sleevers.
It's great to have the support of others going through the same thing at the same time.

Here's the link -

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/t14721-october-2014?highlight=october+2014

All the best,
Tara
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 10:03 am

Hi Katie, I had my sleeve 5 days ago. I had a 2 week pre-op diet. I saw a dietician first and had good direction. It wasn't easy, but it was doable. Maybe twice I felt sticking to it was hard, but I was so focused on the end goal that I made sure I had enough of what I was allowed so that I didn't feel desperate.

The key for my routine was really organisation and planning, itwas:

Breakfast - hold out til just before 8am then have my first optifast, was generally a choc shake with 100 ml extra water (usually with 1/4 cup frozen blueberries)

M/tea 11am - a good size serve of raw vege crudités or a zapped home made vegetable soup or leftover stir fry (towards the end, soup was my fave)

Lunch 1:20pm - my second Opti (sometimes a choc Opti shake with 100ml extra water, other times Opti lemon Creme desert with 2 chopped strawberries and half a passion fruit and occasionally some diet jelly stirred in) - I would make up the dessert at morning tea time so it was nice and cold by now

Arvo tea 3 or 4pm: anything I had taken to work that was leftover, eg; diet jelly, crudités or vege soup, if I was lucky my 2 or 3 strawberries. Snow peas and green beans were great!

Dinner 6:30 or 7pm: stir fry of allowed veg with splash of soy sauce or more vege soup. (I'm lucky that my mum made some lovely simple soup but it did still get a bit boring towards the end)

Supper 9:30 or 10pm: my third Opti. This was varied more than other meals, sometimes shakes, sometimes desserts and sometimes the plain Opti choc bar.

I hope this helps a bit. I should point out that all dieticians are different. Mine allowed up to a cup of blueberries, raspberries or strawberries a day but I tried to never go past half a cup, not sure why, lol. I was also allowed up to a cup of semi-starchy veg (carrot, pumpkin and peas) but also kept this to less. I was a bit paranoid I think. In the whole 2 weeks I was allowed 1 palm sized piece of protein once only. I chose prawns. I would definitely recommend seeing one as there are some really interesting insights and reasons behind why they set what they do.

Best of luck and much fortitude to you! Lol!
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Hello from scared Melbourne newbie   Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:32 am

Hi everyone! I'm Katie, 44yo and a newbie to this site (or any sort of forum actually). I've been immersing myself in your stories and taking courage from those who have gone before me. Feeling pretty nervous at the moment. - 3 days into optifast and 18 days til surgery on 16 October. Have to say I'm not enjoying this part of the process very much but keep reminding myself it's for the short term. Feeling scared also that I won't be able to maintain the diet and my surgeon won't operate on me. Did anyone else experience that? Fear of self sabotaging? Did anyone else "cheat " on this phase?
Back to top Go down

Hello from scared Melbourne newbie
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: