View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garfield99
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Noob from Sydney   Thu 04 Sep 2014, 4:51 pm

Just be careful as taking money from your Super is referred to extra income by Centrelink and it WILL reduce your payments.  You are better off waiting the 6 months and paying it off yourself or get PHI, paying that for a year in advance then you are completely covered - especially if something goes wrong because you could be out of pocket for thousands.

For example, for sleeve effed up.  I was throwing up, unable to keep fluids or food down.  Public Upper Gastro surgeon prescribed me steriods & antibiotics.  I got worse yet kept pressing on thinking this was normal.  I was so dehydrated I was covering my face in coconut oil to stop the skin peeling off and couldn't stand for more then 5mins.  When I go on the bus and lifted up my right hand to swipe the bus rider, it felt like I was raising my left hand.  How weird.  Lucky I had an appt with the Surgeon that day.  I was so out of it by the time I arrived (and I DROVE!!) telling him what I was experiencing and I was raced to emergency, IV drip in my arm, potassium and magnesium levels had dropped to nothing so getting that stuff in via IV made my arm swell up to twice it's size and extremely painful but I had to put up with it until they regulated.  Nasal tube put down my nose so I could get some nutrition - you are fully awake for that and it's a horrible experience.  It gets caught near your throat and tongue and you feel like you are choking until you swallow enough to get it down.  Then you spend the next few weeks with a sore throat and some tube you can see when you open you mouth.  

I had to be put on the waiting list since now I had a nasal tube and had to be taught to feed and flush it myself,  had to go back home and wait until there was theatre time available in the public hospital.  Finally got in and had emergency bypass surgery and initially it was great - I could eat, I could drink!  But I was going to the toilet every 20mins and I was constantly hungry, then I started to gain weight.  He had made the opening to the intestines too wide so nothing was staying in so I went back and he refused to re-operate on me until I had gained all my weight back (12kg a month not enough to worry about apparently).  So luckily I took out PHI just before my first op, so I saw another 3 surgeons about the issue.  Two turned me away - too hard case.  1 said I don't know how to fix you yet, but I'm going to an international conference and I will find out how.  Before he even returned, their offices called me and had a solution.  He fixed me.  But it was at a cost.  With medicare and PHI, my out of pocket expenses was around $8k.

Sorry to be a downer, but if you are on Centrelink Benefits - research before you touch your super.  They don't care it was for life threatening medical - it's income and they WILL reduce your payments.  ATO also refer it to income so you will be taxed accordingly. Plus if you get CSA payments, they will turn it around and YOU may end up having to pay child support!

Plus if something goes wrong, are you going to be able to afford it?  It was around $30k for my hospitalisation and expenses and I have a debt of around $15k that I am paying off - even with Medicare and PHI for the last surgery.  Oh then I needed by Gallbladder out - another $800 out of pocket expenses for that.
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Noob from Sydney   Thu 04 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

Hiya Nix,

I'm sure you have already heard of this but just in case you have not.....

Did you know it is possible to access any Superannuation you may have (or your partner's) to pay for the surgery.
You apply on hardship grounds.

Any extra info you may need is in the section on the home page under accessing your super.

Anyhoo just a thought.

I've been on and off the Optispew again for a few weeks now. When I'm on I'm sooooo  GOOOOOD and when I'm off I'm dreadful - tonight I am "feeding my feelings" with a vengeance.

Might try and jump back on the wagon tomorrow with you.

Cheers
Tara
Back to top Go down
Nix

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Noob from Sydney   Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:30 am

Thanx Tara!

I was hoping to have it done sooner, I'm uninsured and on disability pension (been saving for a long time) and was hoping to be able to pay off the last few grand to the hosp...but no dice, they require the upfront payment in full!

All it means is that I'm going to have to wait 6 months for the op rather than 3. I'm going to stick to the optispew (love that!) for the entire time tho. I did manage to lose 100 kilo 7-8 yrs ago on the stuff. I also managed to put back on about 70 kilos...slowly...very slowly. Like a kilo a month, largely due to a sedentary lifestyle (walking isn't so easy when you're my size). So I've been feeling a little bummed today.

Ahhh well.

Also, I did notice one lady who went to the same doc I am, who was 200+ kilos...I've replied to her on the thread, but not as yet heard anything back. Either way tho, if you have 20 kilos or 120...it's still the same process!
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Noob from Sydney   Thu 04 Sep 2014, 9:56 am

Hiya Nix,

Welcome to the forum.

Hang in there with the Optispew - it does get easier.

I have tried having a bit of a search to see who else started in your weight range but I'm coming up short.

Hopefully someone will come along soon and have a chat.

Welcome again,
Tara
Back to top Go down
Nix

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-08-23

PostSubject: Noob from Sydney   Wed 03 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

Hey All, 

My name is Nix and I'm currently on optifast in preparation for surgery.
Dr Kuzinkovas is performing the surgery, I don't have a date as yet.

I need to lose about 150 kilos all up, so it's quite a journey :)
Would love to hear from some others who were 200+ and how they went with their sleeves too!

Cheers
Back to top Go down

Noob from Sydney
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: