'nother newbie from sydney

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Floradora

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-26

PostSubject: Re: 'nother newbie from sydney   Fri 29 Aug 2014, 6:41 am

Thanks for the replies, I saw my GP and he referred me to Circle of Care saying he had had very positive feedback from patients he had referred there. Step 1 accomplished, and despite thinking he would not be supportive, my GP amazed me by being enthusiastic. I did not expect that. I'm going to book my 1st appt with CoC.

thanks again.

Fd
Back to top Go down
Redleader12

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-04-30

PostSubject: Re: 'nother newbie from sydney   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 6:08 am

Hi All,
I'm also from Western Sydney, so wanted to post for that reason too!

I also went through Circle of Care and think they are great.

Sleeved on 16/5/14 by Dr Brendan Ryan. My out of pocket with him was $5.5K plus i had to pay $500 excess, but like Lee17, that includes 12months of post of visits.

I have found the post care excellent. My next appointment (and first with psych) is on 19/9/14.

I was like you Floradora, I didn't want to have to travel to far, the docs at Coc operate out of Hills Private and maybe Westmead Private ? 

A friend went through St George too, and she also had only good things to say.

Hope this all helps.
Helen
Back to top Go down
Lee17

Female
Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2013-11-06

PostSubject: Re: 'nother newbie from sydney   Thu 28 Aug 2014, 5:32 am

Welcome Floradora, I didnt tell any of my family until I had made up my mind too.

I was sleeved through Circle of Care at Baulkham Hills. They have a fantastic team of Docs, dietician, physiotherapist and psychologist. 

My upfront costs were $5750 but as I visit the different team members post surgery, I dont pay (its all included in the $5750) but I am getting receipts for their different services and I am able to claim them through my private health insurance. That will depend on your level of coverage and insurance provider etc.
Back to top Go down
Leeshie

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-07-26

PostSubject: Re: 'nother newbie from sydney   Tue 26 Aug 2014, 1:34 pm

Hi Floradora,

I am from western Sydney too, I was sleeved by Dr Loi at St George pvt 2 weeks ago.

For me it was worth the drive to Kogarah, mainly because of my huge starting weight I wanted to go where there was an ICU if something went wrong, and the anaesthetists were used to looking after overweight patients. Dr Loi is such a lovely man, made me feel at ease, I felt great shortly after being wheeled back to my room, no pain up and walking as soon as the nurses would let me. 

Dr Loi was $5000, anaesthetist $1850, I got back $900 from medicare for Dr and anaesthetist, quote says $500 for assistant surgeon, still waiting for that bill though and $450 health fund excess.

I did also go to an info night at Campbelltown private with Dr Ali Zarrouk and really liked him, if I had a smaller starting weight it would have been a really tough decision to make :)
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: 'nother newbie from sydney   Tue 26 Aug 2014, 12:59 pm

Hi Floradora

Welcome just go to the GP if you meet the requirements most Gps are very open to discussion.  I am from the Southern suburbs there are quite a few Drs who operate out of St George Private who mostly have the gap you are talking about but do remember that the anesthetics is ontop of that my gap was closer to 7000 but I have 3 yrs post op fully paid in that as well as 3x3 visits to an dietitian and psychologist.

My Dr is Michael Talbot there is also Kuzinkovics Jorgenson and Loi all operating out of that hospital they all have great reputations are around the same amount and the hospital has awards for excellence in this operation all important when taking such a giant step.

My only regret now some 15mths post op is that I didn't take the psychological changes more seriously as that has become a problem for me and i may add many others that old habits of snacking/binging do return unless you are able to completely change your mindset. I do love the way I look but I am having depression from my return to snacking and the slight weight gain it has made.  But having said that if you want to move forward you need to talk it over with the GP first.
Back to top Go down
Floradora

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-26

PostSubject: 'nother newbie from sydney   Tue 26 Aug 2014, 1:53 am

Hi all. I've been stalking this forum for a while trying to get up the courage to visit my gp & call health fund.
I haven't told my family yet and won't until i'm pretty much booked in.

Good news the sleeve is covered on my AHM policy, so next step GP. I'm pretty new to the Oz healthcare system and am learning a whole new language of gaps,payments, etc.

As a family we've not had to use our hospital cover in 7 years, except for 1 broken bone op, so its all new to me.
From looking around I think I'm going to be $5-7K out of pocket and am hoping to get a compassionate advance on my super.

If you have any tips for a newbie from Western Sydney I'd love to hear them, especially as I want advice about finding the right doc for surgery. I don't want to trawl all over the city, so if you have been lucky enough to find the right place for you, please let me know.

It is weird but I've got the same feeling of secret excitement you get when you first find out you are pregnant...

Thanks for reading....
Back to top Go down

'nother newbie from sydney
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: