AuthorMessage
DayleD
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: 3 weeks post op today!!   Wed 30 Jul 2014, 7:41 am

Hey Reboot,

Like most things I think it differs with different surgeons, but I've been advised I'm able to walk at 1 week, swim/gym at 6 weeks and CrossFit at 8weeks.  I think the average for starting full on exercise again is the 6 week mark.

DayleD
Back to top Go down
reboot

Female
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2014-07-29

PostSubject: Re: 3 weeks post op today!!   Wed 30 Jul 2014, 7:28 am

thank you both :)

I don't have great balance but yep the low level of essential fluids and dehydration really knocked my socks off with dizziness.  I thought I was drinking enough but clearly not.  I am following my doctors advice but I guess I need to adapt it a little to suit me.  Also I'm not sure when I'm allowed to do more than walk?? I have read on here about people moving a whole lot more than me and wondered when is a good time or rather safe too do more?

Cheers
J
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: 3 weeks post op today!!   Wed 30 Jul 2014, 3:55 am

I still can get dizziness now if I am not drinking enough fluid.  Remember you are in the honeymoon period (first 3 months) so make sure you are drinking enough fluids and enough sustenance daily or you will feel crappy.  Even some hydrolight icy poles are a good way to get fluids in or if you know you haven't drank/eaten enough, grab a powerade or similar and focus on drinking that as quickly as possible - but not too quickly or you will end up throwing up lol!!

During the honeymoon period it's great - you can pretty much eat anything and just keep on loosing weight - it's a total rush and high.  Then you know it's over when you hit a plateau and they can last up to month or so until you take the necessary steps to adjust your lifestyle.  Working with your surgeon and dietitian will help there.  I still have to remind myself to eat at times but I always make sure I am carrying a bottle of fluid with me at all times.  I can't stand plain water, so I always add cordial, but even adding some sliced up fruit can help peak your interest to ensure you are constantly drinking.  I was told once (not sure if it's true) but by the time you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.  So constantly having a bottle and taking sips all the time will not only help with dizziness but also constipation and feeling better. 

Exercise can help (not I've ever done any lol) but making sure your diet is down pat is the most important thing.  It will take a few weeks to work out what you can and can't eat (sometimes what you used to tolerate, you can't anymore).

Also make sure you keep an eye out for reflux.  Feeling off after eating, but hungry, throwing up often, general uncomfortable etc.  I used to have to take a tablet every day.  Now I take every 2nd or 3rd day which is good because those tablets can be expensive!

Great news about the initial 11kgs though - it's a great and be happy looking forward to many more kgs lost forever :-)
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2014-06-15

PostSubject: Re: 3 weeks post op today!!   Wed 30 Jul 2014, 1:31 am

Hi reboot,

I've got a pre-existing spinal injury (Cauda Equina Syndrome) and as a result I'm well aware of my lack of balance already.

I'm still two and a bit weeks pre-op but I expect this will get bad again.  As such, I'll be digging my old forearm support walker out from storage (at my mother's in Sydney), and I'll keep it handy for at least the first week post-op.  I bought that thing years ago when I was recovering from my laminectomy & discectomy & I had to relearn how to walk.  It'll come in handy for walking to the shops when I can't drive due to the anesthetic.  It's probably overkill, but it'll still be helpful for carrying bags back from the shops, should I have to buy anything.  

After that, I won't bother lugging that thing around in my car, but my cane will also be handy (which I normally only use for walking over unsteady ground - nature walks etc).
Back to top Go down
reboot

Female
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2014-07-29

PostSubject: 3 weeks post op today!!   Wed 30 Jul 2014, 12:12 am

Hi all,
I'm so pleased to have found this site!!  I have had a scary time since the surgery and landed back in hospital over the last weekend.  Initially ok, some expected pain but up and walking, drinking fluids ok but then I collapsed.  Completely passed out smacking my head on our slate floor and landing badly.  It happened twice and then my family took me back to hospital, where after many scans I was told I was loosing weight a little too fast and my body was having trouble adjusting!! totally surreal as my weight has refused to budge for years!!  Now it is falling off faster than the rest of me can handle - in 3 weeks I have lost 11 kilos - which for me is massive. I was relieved that I was OK bu would love to hear if anyone else has had  a similar experience, particularly as they don't know when the dizzy spells will resolve.

Back to top Go down

3 weeks post op today!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: