Share | 

Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SEQFUN

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook   Sun 10 Aug 2014, 11:56 pm

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.

I was sleeved with Peter Notle 12 months ago this month.

I have lost 45 kgs and am doing maintenance at the moment.

I also went to The Avenue and have had all my follow up
Appts with Dr Nottle and could not be happier.

The reason the doctors push the lapband before the sleeve is
Because the lapband can be reversed.   The sleeve is permanent
And you can't go back.  It's a huge step to be sleeved as if you 
Have no complications and don't stretch the sleeve this will be
Your way of living for the rest of your life.

I too am a westie - if you want to chat at anytime inbox me.

You will be going through an emotional roller coaster as 
Your date gets closer - that is quite normal trust me .

Any questions regarding - the prof - don't hesitate to ask.

Everyone is different and has different issues but all in all
I'm so glad I had the sleeve.
Cheers
Lee
Back to top Go down
simo82

Male
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2014-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook   Sun 10 Aug 2014, 1:08 am

Hi Rj,

I did a bit of my own research and spoke to people who have had the different types of procedures. I went a saw Nottle and he asked me which procedure i was interested in. Nottle asked me my reasons for my chosen procedure and we spoke about it for a bit and "I" decided on which one i wanted to have done. Nottle was happy for me to have the procedure. Having said that i think he prefers Lapband but he still had no issue and was great to me.

Im having it done at the avenue in windsor on September 13th. 

I have been doing the usual tests that he required.

Full blood test which was 10 tubes St V pathology at his rooms (No cost)
Preop Medical at Williamstown respiratory clinic (around $110 after medicare)
ECG at his rooms (No cost)
Chest X ray next door to his rooms (NO cost)
Dietician at his room (around $100-$150)
Heart ultra sound Western hospital (No cost)
Sleep study Western hospital (No cost)
Physicist at his rooms (No cost if referral from GP for a mental health plan)

The ECG,X ray, sleep study, and ultra sound were from the pre op medical and you may not need them 

All in all it has been a great experience so far and everyone has been great
Back to top Go down
Mad Max

Male
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook   Sat 02 Aug 2014, 4:31 am

I just had a quich read of his website, I got the same feeling that I got when I initially went to Dr o'brian or as his staff wankerly referred to him as 'prof'. The vibe I got was they were more interested in flogging their wares ie 'LAP-BANDŽ System' and getting me to use my super to pay for it. 

It's seems likely that the dr's would prefer a solution that's puts them less at risk as well as a quick turnover to make more money. On my way home from 'prof' I rang a friend who has the lapband and he told me a plethora of negatives associated that 'prof' neglected to mention or just glossed over.

I ended up going with Geoffrey Draper who I found far more impartial and honest. I would suggest looking for people's actual experience, which you will find here and on other forums rather than marketing blurbs that are selling 'LAP-BANDŽ System'.
Back to top Go down
R.J.

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2014-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook   Sat 02 Aug 2014, 4:04 am

Hi Simon,

I'm a Westie too and have an appointment with Prof Nottle at the end of the month. I was initially interested in a lap band, but have come to think that a sleeve would be more appropriate for me. But when I read Prof Nottle's website it appears that he's not a big fan of sleeves (the compare lap band with sleeve page seems to come out way in favour of the band).

How have you found the Professor? Was the sleeve your idea or his? 

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Best wishes,

RJ
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook   Sun 20 Jul 2014, 10:15 pm

Hi Simon!

Best tip I can offer is, above all else, listen to your surgeon and his team. They are the ones you are paying the big bucks to!
Back to top Go down
simo82

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook   Sun 20 Jul 2014, 10:10 am

Thanks for the reply's, I have checked out the september thread and look forward to posting in it lots in the coming months. I am being sleeved at The Avenue in Windsor by Associate Professor Peter Nottle
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: Welcome Simon   Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:38 am

Welcome Simon, great name (it is my eldest sons). I am from Gippsland and just starting this process and waiting for my second appointment. Good luck with your journey. Where will you be sleeved? Mine will be at Valley Private in Dandenong.

Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1257
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook   Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:36 am

Hey Simon, Welcome to the forum. In case you haven't seen it yet, there is a monthly Sleevers section with groups of people who are being sleeved in each month who can go through it all and support each other.

Here is ours for the September 2014 group...

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/t14628-september-2014?highlight=September+++2014

See u there  
Back to top Go down
simo82

Male

PostSubject: Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook   Sun 20 Jul 2014, 9:16 am

hey guys and gals, I'm Simon. long time reader, first time poster. Im from point cook in Melbourne's west. I'm having my surgery on the 13th Sep with Peter Nottle. starting to get nervous and excited at the same time. hope all goes well, i know i will love reading and posting on this site during my recovery and for many years to come. Has anyone got any tips for me ? would love to hear from anyone who has had a sleeve from Dr Nottle.

Thanks in advance for all the support i know you guys will offer.

- Simon
Back to top Go down

Hello All, Newbie from Melbourne, Point Cook
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: