Hi from nervous Brisbane member

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tycoel

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Hi from nervous Brisbane member   Sun 29 Jun 2014, 8:24 am

hah no I like being independent - I have a few people who could take the kids and I could get an aupair in, just trying to do it myself as a preference. I dont want to tell anyone what I'm doing as I feel they'll try and talk me out of it / ask questions etc. 

I should mention that I was in hospital with a serious infection 6 years ago and got very sick, almost died etc, came home after 4 weeks unable to walk (was on crutches), and had to look after a baby, 4 and 7 year olds by myself so I'm very used to doing what I can / making work arounds etc. Guess you could say I have a high pain tolerance ;-)

oh and with regards to laundry etc - 13 year old does it now and we use a clothes horse ;-) 
Great idea re preparing frozen meals.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Hi from nervous Brisbane member   Sun 29 Jun 2014, 8:15 am

I am not going to kid you with little or no help it won't be a cake walk but it won't necessarily be impossible either it will depend on the maturity of the 13yr old and how much he is capable of.  Pain is not something you can be sure of I had a hernia done at the same time and was up to the toilet twice that night and out and about first thing the next day just shuffling along but moving all the same but the women in the room with me could barely move so it is different for all most seem to go OK but no guarantees there.  How you react to anesthetic has a big bearing.

Yes School holidays make the best sense because you can't drive at first some do it in a week some a fortnight others more its all a matter of how quick you as an individual recover.  The tummy is tender and doesn't like jolts to much.  I think it will be 2nights minimum in including the night of the op some Drs take longer it depends on the kind of procedures the surgeon has mine didn't have the barium swallow but those who do stay a bit longer.  

I would try to muster up some help if at all possible as you will be tired you can of course pre prepare food before hand and freeze it but washing etc you will need help carrying it and reaching the line with 3 young kids there is always tons.  The housework will have to take a back seat but make sure the kids know they will have to try hard to help.

I think what must be considered as you are a single mother is there someone who will step in if the worst case scenario happens I don't want to rain on your parade but your word of "independent" does worry me a little do you mean you like it that way or do you have no choice.  This op can mean a whole new and positive way of life it can give back health and vitality but it is capable of disaster as well discuss this thoroughly with the surgeon.

Good luck and welcome
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi from nervous Brisbane member   Sun 29 Jun 2014, 8:13 am

Hiya tycoel.. 

You've done well to go all this time without needing any form of surgery! With pain, and recovery, that is a tricky one, as we are all different. I can tell you that for me, it wasn't too bad at all. Some discomfort in hospital, but I beat the hell out of the PCA anyway, because.. hellooooo.. happy juice!! Same at home, minus the PCA. I always bounce back pretty well after surgery though. 

I could still get get up and do what I needed to do, but I did get tired pretty easily. Maybe you could prepare some meals before you go in and freeze them? I made a buttload of stuff that could be defrosted overnight, then just thrown in the slow cooker the next morning.
Back to top Go down
tycoel

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2014-06-21

PostSubject: Hi from nervous Brisbane member   Sun 29 Jun 2014, 7:20 am

Hi, I'm a 46 year old sole parent with 3 children, BMI of 37 and looking into surgery with Dr Lockie. Have an appt booked for a few weeks time. This forum has been great reading, its answered one of my main concerns regarding the stomach healing. I've been so worried that the staples have to be there for life because the stomach doenst heal itself but now found it does. I've also never had an surgery before so a few concerns there! 

Can anyone tell me how bad the pain and recovery really are? I'm very independent and have little family support around, I was hoping to try for a one night only hospital stay and if I do it over school holidays don't need to worry about driving. Would I be bed-bound or could I still get up and make meals etc? Oldest child is 13 so I'm hoping he could help out as much as possible in the 2 weeks post,

Thanks
Back to top Go down

Hi from nervous Brisbane member
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: