Share | 

Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RuralGirl5

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Sat 14 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm

I have found a few on the list with medibank, but when I ring to ask I am told no not for this type of surgery, it could be for other surgery they may do ?? I don't quite understand that if your on the list as a participant how can you pick and choose they get the money either way  - confusing much ??????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Sat 14 Jun 2014, 2:16 pm

Wouldn't medibank have a list of doctors who participate?
Back to top Go down
AussieRe

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:04 pm

Hi Ruralgirl5

I'm with Medibank and I have done a lot of ringing around and am yet to find anyone that participates in the gap cover. I am also a rural patient and have been told I have to stay in perth for a week after surgery. I don't have to fly home so I'm not sure if that would make a difference. Good luck with your journey
Back to top Go down
Vikki28
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Sat 14 Jun 2014, 2:38 am

Hi Rural Girl I've sent you a PM with my surgeon's details etc.
Back to top Go down
Graceful

Female
Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2014-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Sat 14 Jun 2014, 1:36 am

Hi Ruralgirl, I had a sleeve done in Perth. I can't recommend Dr Harsha Chandraratna from Obesity Surgery WA and his team highly enough. They are fantastic!

My brother did a surgery internship with a couple of bariatric surgeons and recommended him to me because of his experience and attention to patients (fast, efficient, and great reputation). 

He has also had the surgery himself so is empathetic. I didn't feel judged and answered all questions.

He also visited me twice in the four days of my recovery. They are based in Murdoch, Subiaco or Mandurah.

Ph. 93320066 
Www.obesitysurgerywa.com.au
Back to top Go down
RuralGirl5

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 3:01 pm

Thanks for that advice, I guess it's something to put on the list of questions for the surgeon. Vikki28 who was your surgeon if you don't mind me asking, I am about to go to dr here for referral and want to go in with a list of researched surgeons to talk about .
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:50 am

Hi RuralGirl5!  I had a similar issue as Vicki28, I'm about 9hrs from Sydney and my surgeon told me flat out he wouldn't operate if I didn't stay in the local area for at least 2 weeks after surgery (I had intended to stay with family only 1.5hrs away but he wanted me in close proximity to the hospital he operates at just in case).  Apparently if you're going to have any issues it's usually apparent by 2-3 weeks post-op.

Not sure about the flying part...though I'm not looking forward to my 9hr drive home.

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down
Vikki28
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 10:07 am

Hi Rural Girl, I'm in Broome too and both myself and my hubby have had the sleeve surgery. My surgeon asked me to stay in Perth for 3 weeks after the op to make sure that I was near the facilities in case anything went wrong. If you go back to Broome or anywhere rural for that matter if you have any problems then you won't be able to get the required medical help that you'd need. Nothing went wrong for me, my hubby had a seroma that needed to be aspirated 3 times before he went home. Whether the medicos up here could have done this or not I don't know, but my hubby was sure happy that he was still in Perth and the surgeon could attend him.
Back to top Go down
RuralGirl5

Female

PostSubject: Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH   Fri 13 Jun 2014, 9:10 am

Well - Here I am Introducing myself.  Of course I have a list of questions - most of which I have researched and have gotten answers for, but Im hoping some of you may also be able to help.

I am considering flying to Perth from Broome for a Sleeve.  I will be on my own as I don't have the luxury of taking someone with me or knowing anyone in Perth, does anyone think this will be a problem ?

I have PHI with Medibank good to go - however they asked me about finding a surgeon who participates in their gap scheme.  I have not even chosen a surgeon yet let alone though about that - does anyone have recommendations?

I need to get in and out and back home ASAP - I have babies to look after and work to return to - so I was thinking a week off as I have a desk job ?  Will flying be a problem?

Look forward to hearing all of your inspiring stories and help .

Cheers to all

Ruralgirl5
Back to top Go down

Hello from the Boonies of Broome (Newbie Here) PERTH
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: