Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Share | 

Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ames78

Female
Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)   Sun 01 Jun 2014, 11:51 am

Thanks everyone for your welcome & words of encouragement.

At the moment, by band is not working at all...so its "open season" eating wise....so really eager to meet with my surgeon on the 17th June to confirm the exact plan for my surgery on the 30th. Im 90% sure the band will be removed...but unsure whether he'll perform the sleeve. It sounds like there are LOTS of us who've had the band...and now moving to the sleeve.

Well, again....a big thank you for welcoming me....look forward to chatting again soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)   Thu 29 May 2014, 1:07 am

Hi Ames,

Welcome aboard!  I'm also a bander who is moving to sleeve.  I've had one band for 6 years and it's never worked.  When I get fills it will be too restricted and when I have fluid taken out, it's open season.  :)  My band likes bread, pasta, pizza and coke.  I kid you not, no problem with the fizzy stuff at all.  What it won't tolerate is fresh, raw veggies and salad.  You want to see pain?  Get me to eat raw carrot! lol  Right now, my diet is made up mostly of optifast, as it's pretty much the only way I can prevent my weight going up any further.

As for leaks, they aren't common at all.  Yes they do happen, bur from what I'm reading,  it's very rare in Aus.  Best thing is, talk to the surgeon you plan to go with, get all your fears and concerns out and get re-assurance from them.   Follow your own gut instinct.  What was your thinking before the band doc tried to scare you off?
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)   Wed 28 May 2014, 9:59 am

All Hail Ames !!! Okay lol.

But seriously, THREE bands !!!  I had two and think they are evil little suckers and ALL must die !!
So the fact you survived 3 is legendary.

The sleeve is soooooooooooooooo different to the band.
You can actually eat REAL foods, Salads, vegies etc etc all the stuff you were promised with the Band and no need to live off sliders any longer.

Scar tissue may be an issue for you, the Surgeon should be able to tell you what it looks like in there when he takes out the Band. Oh how you are gunna love not having a band.

Anyway I digress I mostly just wanted to Welcome you to the Forum.

Cheers
Tara
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)   Wed 28 May 2014, 5:03 am

Hi Ames!

Exactly what Vikki said!

And from me, it's always so good to see more people here from Melbourne!
Back to top Go down
Vikki28
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)   Wed 28 May 2014, 2:30 am

Hiya ames78 and welcome, 

Getting a leak after sleeve surgery is very rare and potentially fatal!!! Your surgeon will do his best to avoid this situation and you need to be aware of the symptoms of a leak so that if you ever notice any symptoms you get back to the surgeon immediately.

Phew! ;the disclaimer done, if you read around the forum here you will discover that most people have uneventful recoveries after their surgery and it really does work. You must be tired of the band by now I would guess. I've never had a band but there are also people on here who have converted from the band to the sleeve, and you can read their stories. I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Kylie21

Female
Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)   Wed 28 May 2014, 12:56 am

Hiya and welcome!!

I'm new to this forum too and loving gearing everyone's stories and helpful tips. 
I'm also in Melbourne.....who is your surgeon? My op is on June 19. 

Happy to keep in touch and follow our journeys together.

Kylie. 
Back to top Go down
ames78

Female
Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-05-28

PostSubject: Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)   Wed 28 May 2014, 12:27 am

Hi everyone!
Just like most....I'm super excited, nervous & scared about whats coming next.So, I thought it a good idea to join, reach out to others....share my stories & be prepared for the next step in my weight loss (& health) journey.

I'm 35yrs old & am now on my 3rd lap-band....Ive been on the weight loss highway for 20+ years & was very successful with my first band....losing 35kg+. Then my band slipped after 2 years and I had revision.....and I never quite recovered from that. I'm now heavier than when I went in for banding over 10 years ago. You could say I have weight-loss fatigue. :-( My current (& 3rd band) appears to be broken....not accepting any fill. So after meeting with my surgeon 3 weeks ago, we're looking at removing the band & having the sleeve done. I'm equal parts excited...as I am scared. I'm reading all kinds of things about leaks & this has me very worried. Is it inevitable that everyone with a sleeve gets a leak at some point or another?

Looking forward to connecting with lots of you on here & learning from your experiences.

Chat soon!
Ames78
Back to top Go down

Hi everyone. Just joined....3 bands....and now ready for the sleeve :-)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: