AuthorMessage
Free Radical

Male
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

Great to hear Gus all went well.
You find big improvements daily? 

My biggest (massive) improvement step was my first full day out of hospital, not  an ounce of energy to give, vague, feeling really off, so decided to buy a chicken and corn soup in a food court. I just sprung to life with each spoon full. Most memorable meal of my life I reckon.

I seemed to have an easy run I think, there a few shocker stories in here, but only 4 weeks out I've almost forgotten the harder parts already, life is not much different than pre op really, with weight reducing though I'm more comfortable already. 

Sounds like you didn't discuss the sizing much prior? 32 - 36 seems to be the norm, I got a 40 which I'm glad of. I doubt there is a great difference to be honest, pulls me up pretty bloody quick I tell you.

Keep in touch
Back to top Go down
gusthemus

Male
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2014-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:10 pm

Glad to hear things are on track. I'm sure it will continue to get better with time.

I'm 5 days down now. Going well so far, just on fluids at the moment but still early days. Surgery went well though apparently. Told me he used a 34 French bougie so I'm expecting a fair restriction going forward.

I've dropped 10kg since I started Optifast two weeks pre-op so pretty happy with that so far.

I bet you're looking forward to some longer rides in the future though!
Back to top Go down
Free Radical

Male

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Tue 10 Jun 2014, 10:07 am

Very good thanks Gus,
A bit to learn about driving this new rig post op, particularly as I heal the difference between post op soreness when eating and what is becoming a normal feeling that probably won't change. The main thing I've noticed is prior to the op "Full" was a satisfying "Comfort" feeling but now satisfied isn't really comfort, it's not a feeling I particularly like at times, it's more a "That job of eating is done now" feeling, forget about food. I've never really craved food, but I reckoned I've feared becoming really hungry and being caught without anything to eat. A childhood hangover I'd say. Hunger is now a small but sharp stomach cramp not your body going into starvation (eat soon or die feeling!)

I'm down 15kg's in under 4 weeks, which is 9 more than my best ever. My body is saying thanks already in so many ways. Crazy stuff!

I'm back on my road bike with few issues but taking it easy still, only 30 Kay max rides so far as I was told light cardio only at this stage. I'm a bit down on stamina on hill climbs etc but I will learn how to manage this when eating a full diet again. My bulk muscle legs are fading which I'm not sure about? I'm conscious of the protein intake, not sure on that, mmm?

I've had a boys weekender (as I'm not advertising my op, I just don't eat much these days if I was asked) however it was easy I found, eat, drink what I felt like and no one notices and to be honest they don't care either. Grab a small serving and eat half of it slowly, bin the rest, Easy. Loosing weight/dieting is so fashionable these days:)
Water is tough though, and not drinking at all while eating even tougher, not 100% compliant there but getting there. I need some small sips with food at the moment or it feels stuck or just uncomfortable.
Beer, spirits, no probs. saved for the occasions though.

How are you going? Must be a week out? Any issues?
Hope all was well mate.
Back to top Go down
gusthemus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Thu 22 May 2014, 1:59 pm

How's it all going now you're a week down from surgery? Hopefully recovering well!
Back to top Go down
Free Radical

Male

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Fri 16 May 2014, 5:50 am

Well that was easier than I was expecting. Kicking the football around already not 24hrs later.
Stomach is a bit tender after swallowing, but a walk in the park I must say. Wish it was this easy for everyone.

Of interest due the sports I do and the hot climate I live in, doc suggested a 40 French as apposed to the original suggested 36. He said these are easier to manage with less complication like reflux and nausia amongst other things. Not a lot of difference in eventual weight loss.

Food for thought
Back to top Go down
bringingbackme

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2014-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Thu 15 May 2014, 8:52 am

Good luck and welcome! I am also a fellow Mayer (29th). Completely understand a lot of what you said, especially the taking the undies all sides of you shots.. OMG! Congratulations on your decision, and look forward to hearing from you post your op!
Back to top Go down
MrMick
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 378

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Thu 15 May 2014, 5:46 am

Good Luck Free Radical, looks like you already have the exercise down it's just having the tools to eat less and be satisfied. Well done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lawnmowingbrisbane.com
Free Radical

Male

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Thu 15 May 2014, 12:57 am

Thanks guys, appreciate your responses.
It's taken me a while to get to this level of certainty to go forward but I'm there now. If doc is late to work today I'll do it myself :)

Gus, I'm 38 myself and have been conscious of weight gain and have been receiving comments since the age of 12. What I find surprising is so many kids now at that same age are what I was then, it's become the norm now. If only they'd realise.

The comfort returned and freedom to move easily and quickly is something I crave almost. I could take my calves to the Olympics from training being heavy for years, but man they are always sore.
Don't start me on clothes shopping. I bought my last item in Mr Big yesterday, my new hospital checkered pyjama bottoms. (So proud!)

Good luck in 21 days.
Wenchie I've jumped over the the May list also, thanks for heads up.

See you on the other side.
Back to top Go down
gusthemus

Male

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Wed 14 May 2014, 4:15 am

Good on you for committing to what is a life changing operation. I'm at a similar weight to you and at 37, I've been putting up with comments about my weight for about 25 years now. Yes, there are people with a lot more weight on than you and I have, but it doesn't mean we don't need it any less.

I'm having my sleeve done in 22 days time and I'm sure I'll miss my food and particularly having a huge guzzle of water but there are so many things to look forward to. More energy, more comfortable plane flights, not having all that stomach mass bouncing up and down when exercising and even little things like not needing to spread my legs when putting shoes and socks on so my gut has somewhere to go.

I was 106kg when I left school and no matter what I've tried in the 20 years since in terms of exercise and dieting, I've never managed to get below that weight.

Good luck tomorrow and forever after. I hope you can finally achieve your goals.

Cheers,
Gus
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Away We Go, from a distance.   Wed 14 May 2014, 4:06 am

Hiya!

Sounds like you definitely have your head in the right space for all this.. best of luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll have no problems at all! 

If you're interested, pop over to the May 2014 group and say hi in there too.. May 2014
Back to top Go down
Free Radical

Male

PostSubject: Away We Go, from a distance.   Wed 14 May 2014, 3:31 am

I've found very few stories in forums that sound like my story and how I got to this point, so I thought I'd throw it on.

I've decided after 12 months of deliberation, discussions, countless hundreds of forums read and re-read, that I'm going to have the sleeve gastrectomy. I've been through all my pre op tests, planning and bookings to have the surgery tomorrow.
I've flown down to Perth for 10 days (16 hours drive away) for the surgery and recovery having left my wife and kids home to continue on while I'm gone.

What ive found different to many forums, I've always been very active, I rarely eat badly, I eat too much for me obviously although I certainly eat less than most of my healthy weighted piers. I don't drink a lot or often, the mates "bender" is rare these days. Whenever I decide to run a food diary to see where I'm at, I seem to come in around 1800 - 1900 calories a day before my exercise figure is deducted. I cycle between 150 and 300 Kay's per week, swim and am beginning to kite board in the mix also. With all this I lose nothing. I'm about to learn what eating a little really means.

I've tried all sorts of diets and different angles, tests and more tests, experts, Drs, sports trainers at the gym and a dietician who's theories to lose weight just advised to do what I've done many times before. I once lost 6kgs over 18 months with a super effort. I once went on a work training trip to Melbourne with my workmates for 6 days. Every night we ate at a restaurant and had a few beers after. In those 6 days I put on 6 kgs. When I returned home the gain continued for another 4. It stayed on.
My surgeon says I am genetically built to survive the ice age. Brilliant, I live in a climate where a summers day is often 40 - 45 degrees Celsius. The irony!

I am now 122kgs, BMI of just under 40, I have peaked at 124.5kgs, which in comparison to some I know this isn't really big, but it's sure enough for me to say no bloody more, I've had enough!

I work in a great company with great people, amongst them are work mates where you know them well enough that they let the fat comments fly, all in fun though. Now it is actually hurting and I'm taking this personally because I feel powerless to fix it, and frustrated by those that do what they like and get away with it.
I work hard at it and gain little.

A few things I've noticed -
The mirror reflects 2D, maybe you grow used to the reflection "it's not so bad". Go get a full body underwear or less photo taken from all sides then have a look if you think you need action.

You reach a point in BMI where when you meet people the first time, you can clearly read their subconscious assessment of you by their body language. You have been personally assumed, accounted and assessed by your image in the first 3 seconds. It's not their fault.

You reach a point in your BMI where plenty of people believe it's their right to have a comment about you and your weight, as if it effects them, although always in fun.

Get enough of this you either break or become committed. By this time tomorrow I will have fully committed.

Back to top Go down

Away We Go, from a distance.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: